G20: Just One Spark Starts a Fire

cityhallI'm watching live footage from the massive downtown G20 protest. Two police cars are burning at Bay and King and it appears they're simply going to let them burn out. I've been watching it burn for a while now and there's no sign of firefighters.

The police presence in downtown Toronto right now is intense. It's just massive. I'm hearing the protesters currently number 10,000. Subway service in downtown Toronto has been suspended by the TTC, with no service for the time being in the loop between Bloor and St. George stations. As well, there are no streetcars running in the downtown core. Also, the Eaton Centre is in lock-down.

I'm sticking with my G20 Survival Guide. Here's hoping nobody dies in downtown Toronto today. Things are starting to get ugly.

g8 g20 protests 20100626

[via Chris Young/Canadian Press]

Update: It seems the more aggressive protesters like to break windows. I almost get why they're breaking the windows of Starbucks, but why break the windows of Fran's Restaurant at Yonge and College?

Sarah

Just sad, and scary, isn't it? Suddenly this doesn't feel like home, nor does it feel like the "true north strong and free."

June 26, 2010 @ 5:05 PM

Jim Wright

I agree. But why break windows at all. Hardly helps ANY cause.

Thanks for keeping up with the news

Jim

June 26, 2010 @ 5:06 PM

dale

What does all this damage prove or promote. Peaceful protests OK but this is ridiculous. Wait until tomorrow!!
Bring in the army to help. But wait all fighting a war in Afghanistan or shoveling snow somewhere LOL.

June 26, 2010 @ 6:40 PM

A.R.

The police cars were probably just decoys.

June 26, 2010 @ 8:56 PM

Freddie P.

"I almost get why they're breaking the windows at Starbucks."

uh? You're kidding aren't you.

June 26, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

Just to clarify that statement, before somebody labels me an anarchist...

I don't condone the destruction of other people's property, and I don't agree with window breaking as a form of political protest, but I understand why they target Starbucks. That is to say I get their point, even though I don't agree with it.

But Fran's? That's just destruction for shits and giggles.

June 26, 2010 @ 9:55 PM

CriedFowl

When shit hits the fan, could one expect it to make an orderly splash?

June 26, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

nellee

Toronto Mike, Why is it understandable that someone would target a Starbucks franchise for a violent attack of vandalism.

June 26, 2010 @ 11:11 PM

_Justink

Jeez, downtown looks crazy. A lot of these protesters are complete hooligans. And to think I just walked through that exact intersection on Thursday night.

June 26, 2010 @ 11:28 PM

Irvine

Wow, I'm sure glad I live in backwater hick town Calgary versus "cultured, world class Toronto".

Funny, I don't remember any of this happening when the G8 was in Calgary in 2002 (just after 911). Guess we're just more civilized than Toronto.

LOL, you're all a bunch of fucking losers.

June 27, 2010 @ 3:01 AM

Romy

Hey Irvine, try not to get any red on your shirt collar, eh?

June 27, 2010 @ 3:43 AM

Sammi

I hate to agree with Irvine...but he is right. Toronto cannot handle becoming a world class city or even trying to act like one.

We keep proving that over and over again. With all the left-wing nuts running this city and constantly giving in to every special interest group...is it a surprise that the city acts like a whiny kid when something world class comes here???

This summit should have never happened here for the reasons that are playing out now.

God help us if the Leafs ever win the cup. Luckily, that won't ever happen though.

June 27, 2010 @ 6:16 AM

jason | getyouroj.com

Except most of the "losers" aren't from Toronto and after listening to Bill Blair... and seeing no fire truck come for 20 mins + I'd suspect the black bloc "losers" were hired goons meant to devalue ant anti-G20 message and justify spending

Those cars were bait and those "losers" were hired goons.

June 27, 2010 @ 9:10 AM

jason | getyouroj.com

@nellee

well the media will tell you the goons are 'known to target symbols of capitalism.'

they've attacked starbucks, adidas, banks, etc.......

June 27, 2010 @ 9:12 AM

Cheryl

I didn't go out at all yesterday and I'm not going out today either. I don't even have to go out Monday. Sounds like a mess out there. Good thing I work at home.

June 27, 2010 @ 9:40 AM

Steve

I get Mike's point about Starbucks as I've seen it myself. I used to do radio at a station located on a university campus, and there was a Starbucks in that building. It pissed a lot of people off as they saw it as a symbol of corporate greed. In fact, I once got assigned to do an interview with one of those social justice consumer advocate types and when it came out in passing that there was a Starbucks there, the dude marched right down there after his segment was over and tried to start a snap rally against it. I think he ended up getting himself thrown out. but if you amp that up a few notches and consider the type of crazy hooligans in toronto this weekend, it's easy to see how that mentality could translate into hey, let's throw some shit through the Starbucks and make people understand how evil it is. It's a warped way to look at the world and not the brightest way to make a statement since your message gets lost in your stupidity, but that's the way they think...if you want to call it that.

June 27, 2010 @ 2:13 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

People have the right to protest, infact im sure its encouraged, but the minute it gets like the photos you posted mike to me its marshal law. call in the troops and seal it up by force if necessary. People regardless of the protest have no reason to act like animals, and pictures of a guy bleeding like on the last post or of the police cars thats just senseless, animal like violence and therefore police should basically treat them like animals.

June 27, 2010 @ 2:18 PM

Steve

If you listen to some of them talk, they are being treated like animals. There was somebody on TV who had been in the jail space and was talking all about how they were put in cages that were small and there wasn't much food. I feel bad for the people who get arrested for no reason, but given what went on there yesterday you can't much blame the police for perhaps being a bit heavy-handed either. Take 'em in, we'll sort 'em out later makes decent sense to me in this case.

June 27, 2010 @ 3:58 PM

Steve

June 27, 2010 @ 4:55 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

@buffalo boy mike

"no reason to act like animals"

what about that huge cage they've been building here for weeks?

cages are what animals live in.

i've lived in toronto almost my entire life, i don't remember being consulted about a big cage or a red zone

it's unfortunate these stupid acts, no matter who did them, will not ensure all protestors are painted with one brush.

for the record i am staying uptown all weekend and can't wait to see those MF'ers go home.

June 27, 2010 @ 4:59 PM

A.R.

There was a lot of drama yesterday, but today I went shopping for a bike and I was surprised to see that the places with the violent protests were quite clean and almost seemed normal with the exception of all the extra police officers on bikes.

I wasn't surprised to see streets like Yonge, Spadina, and Queen downtown vibrant. Only a small minority of shops had broken windows.

Things went well. The decoy police cars which got set on fire and anarchist minority protestors allowed the reporters to make it seem like things were going to hell. But it was quite contained. Toronto kept its cool amidst fringe groups with many members from far beyond the city.

June 27, 2010 @ 9:27 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

@Jason, history has shown the need for it. this isnt the first G20 that got ugly and it sure won't be the last, when protesters at these things give police and officials a reason to stop treating them like animals then they will. And i didnt paint all protestors with the same brush nor should they be, but the violent ones need to be dealt with appropriately because it doesnt take much to turn a protest into a deadly riot.

June 27, 2010 @ 11:38 PM

Mason

why is it that people from outside of Toronto always have to bitch and complain about us? really its just getting pathetic now, we get it you live a in some ass backwards town. Every place has it problems, Toronto is no better, but seriously dont talk shit just cause your jealous.. have fun in Alberta. Maybe we should come out there for the stampede and see how you all act.

June 28, 2010 @ 10:04 AM