FAN 590 Changes Imminent

radioThe other morning I was listening to Don Landry on the FAN 590 morning show and he sounded like a dead man walking. In a brief and unscripted aside, Landry all but admitted to guest Charlie Pallilo that Rogers didn't value the current morning team. Personnel changes on the radio often happens while the kids are out of school, and by all accounts significant changes at the FAN 590 are imminent.

If you follow the local Toronto radio scene, this isn't a bombshell. Earlier this month, in a throwaway line in an article about Mike Wilner's suspension, Bruce Dowbiggin opened with "The FAN 590's new brain trust has made no secret that it's going to make changes."

I've read further speculation at the Toronto Sports Media Blog.

So, I’ve heard from more people confirming what I wrote about yesterday morning. What I have been told, and in response to some of the questions and comments is that someone who is currently a radio personality- “not a sports guy” has been hired to fill a daytime slot. Apparently this person has been on the radio in Toronto before.

And our favourite bitter blogger, William Houston, says this:

Will George Stroumboulopoulos be the next host of the Fan590’s morning show?

That’s the speculation making the rounds in the Toronto radio business.

Stroumboulopoulos would replace Don Landry and presumably Gord Stellick, although it’s not clear what Stellick’s status at the station would be. Stellick is a survivor and, arguably, nobody in Toronto broadcasting has done as much with as little talent as Gord.

As for Landry, he appears to be on his way out. His strong words in support of Blue Jays reporter Mike Wilner (and his implicit criticism of program director Don Kollins) last week were seen as a clear sign that he is done and knows it. Wilner was suspended for three days for the sole offense, apparently, of rankling Jays manager Cito Gaston.

Seems like only Bob McCown is safe at the FAN 590 this summer.

Hector

I heard Landry's support of Wilner and at the time thought he was taking a big risk...but he was right.

This new guy at the Fan sounds like he is from the same school as CFNY's program manager.

June 22, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

James

I like sports radio a lot, but other than Prime Time, I don't listen to The Fan too much these days. I pretty much only listen to McCown and Jays games at this point.

I think McCown is still great, but as far as I'm concerned, they should revamp everything from the Morning Show up until 4pm.

June 22, 2010 @ 5:45 PM

felix

Is Derringer coming back to the Fan? Reading some of his comments after the first go-round, I doubt it, but hey, ya never know. And if by some snowball's chance in hell, I'm right, you heard it here first!

June 22, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

felix

Also, I remember listening to Pallilo when I lived in Houston, what was he doing on the Fan? World Cup?

June 22, 2010 @ 6:04 PM

_Justink

I've always hated the FAN's morning show. For half the time they'd just talk about irrelevant things that have nothing to do with sports. For example, they talked with Kypreos about taking out the garbage for over 5 minutes last week. Like, who cares? I also hate those stupid comedy sketches. They're not funny, I'm sorry to day. Also, Landry and Stellick are neither interesting to listen to or very knowledgeable.

I think some new blood on the FAN 590 morning show will do them some good.

June 22, 2010 @ 6:14 PM

dale

Don't be surprised - Derringer who loves sports & may pass baton on at Q107.
Gut feel. Rogers has lots of $ to pay.

June 22, 2010 @ 7:54 PM

Pallilo did an NBA round up thing once a week. It was always good.

June 22, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Dale, no way, if Derringer is as smart as I think he is, why would he leave a great thing at Q for an iffy at best AM gig
Derringer is a Q lifer and Toronto radio is better for it

June 22, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

Bill Armstrong

Haven't listened to FAN in the morning since Marsden exited. This station caters mainly to the hockey pucks of the leaf nation who have been on drugs for 43 years.

Love Jack and Eric and of course PTS.

Other than those shows I have absolutely no interest.

June 22, 2010 @ 9:49 PM

felix

Saw a comment on the aforementioned Wm Houston blog throwing Elliotte Friedman's name out. I have to say, it's one I didn't immediately consider, but fits the admittedly limited criteria we've got to work with.

As for Charlie P, I have no doubt it was good, he definitely knows his stuff.

June 22, 2010 @ 11:13 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Can't see Strombo giving up a good gig at the CBC to head to the lower AM dial. CBC is a lifer deal if played right.

June 23, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

_Justink

@Rick C

Strombo would still keep his job at CBC. Radio in the morning - TV in the evening. Lot's of guys do it.

June 23, 2010 @ 6:29 AM

4x4 Time

Greg Brady is done at AM640,next stop The Fan?

June 23, 2010 @ 4:35 PM

Romy

Mike Richards, from the FAN in Calgary.

June 23, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

DR

Couldn't be happier about this news (although I never like to hear people lose their jobs).

It has been years since I listened to the Fan590 until the 2pm time slot on up to the end of PTS. Stellick and Landry pretty much always sucked and Hogan simply talked too much Pointyball for (and definitely too much Argos).

In the age of the podcast and satelite radio, it is hard to know how pure sportstalk can survive for much longer. I find that if a station isnt interesting me, I turn to Itunes and download something that does or flip on my satelite radio.

Greg Brady is a good choice for the 12-3 window but I sure do hope they change the format for that window from all hockey, all the time to something that is alot more appealing to a broader audience.

June 24, 2010 @ 3:51 PM

Mike

From Torontosportsmedia.com

So…..

This is what I am hearing the new Fan 590 lineup looks like for now

6-9 Morning show with some fill ins until permanent replacement is found
9-12 Andrew Krystal
12-2 Hockey Central with Greg Brady as host
2-3 The Greg Brady show
3-6 Prime Time Sports with Bob Mccown
6-7 Blue Jays/Raptors pre-game

My question... not from the TSM.com blog... who the hell is Andrew Krystal? Mike Hogan was good... the other changes I can live with.

June 24, 2010 @ 4:26 PM

Ted

I for one was a fan of Landry and Stellick and am sad to see them go. I thought of them as 'easy listening' sports in the morning, and it was like listening to a conversation with friends.

I wish them the best and I hope to see them pop up somewhere else.

June 24, 2010 @ 5:10 PM

L Jamieson

Sorry to see Hogan go.....Football Fridays was one my favorite parts of the Fan....I will be interested in the ratings when these changes take hold my guess is ( pardon the pointy ball terminology) Don Kollins dropped the ball....Andrew Krystall is an interesting character to say the least...guess we will see

June 24, 2010 @ 5:47 PM

Maddog

If what you say is true, am going to miss Hoagie. It took some time for him to grow on me, but I've come to appreciate him as an insightful, compassionate sports fan. It was obvious he was a SPORTS fan.

With apologies to Don and Gord, The morning show IMHO hasn't been the same since Marsden and Derringer(Whom I consider to be the most literate and intelligent voice on morning radio). It pains me to be critical, but, Don and Gord's schtick is becoming more inane and I find myself tuning out mentally if not literally. Their chemistry is waning.

June 24, 2010 @ 5:47 PM

depressed

unreal, gord and don i listened to every morning.They were great took to many vacations but great guys and good anouncers. shame on the fan and rogers.

June 24, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

mik

Come one Greg Brady what is this a frat party. Strombo good interviewer not a sports guy though , Derringer Hayes whatever his name is doesn't know shit about sports just a loudmouth like Mike whiner Wilner i have more knowledge than these jerk offs, Hogan had the best show next to Mcowan's show they kept the other jerk off Lajoie the guy is such a company stooge.

June 24, 2010 @ 7:37 PM

G-man

Have listened to the fan as my preferred background noise while driving for a couple of years now. Funny how I've grown attached to the various personalities and have to say I'm disappointed with the changes. Don and Gord were like a couple of old friends - sorry to see you go guys and if you do end up elsewhere I'll be inclined to tune in. After all I was a 640 listener in the morning before and Don and Gord were the reason I switched over.

Mike Hogan too although I didn't get hear too much of Mike since I was in work by then. I know it's a numbers game and so perhaps I'm part of the minority but I'm inclined to look for another station to bring me in on my hour and a half commute. Guess

June 25, 2010 @ 7:15 AM

Disappointed in Hamilton

Well, time to find a new radio station for work :(

June 25, 2010 @ 7:20 AM

Nate

Horrible morning show. Landry and Stellick's due date had long since expired.

Mike Hogan's voice could put me to sleep, but at least he wouldn't talk about hockey all day long and genuinely seemed to care about callers opinions and would offer insight into those opinions.

Greg Brady is not the right hire, just another jackball who comes off like he knows everything.

More Roger Lajoie and Doug Farraway will only make my ears bleed. Quit being the company shill and try listening to a caller once in a while Roger if you're gonna field calls.

Regardless of blood-letting, the FAN will still suffer, no doubt about it.

June 25, 2010 @ 5:05 PM

Noah

I'm sad to see Mike Hogan and The Bullpen go. Those were without a doubt my two favorite shows. All the best to Mike Hogan, Jack Armstrong, and Eric Smith! I don't doubt for a minute that they'll find a radio station that respects them soon.

June 26, 2010 @ 12:53 AM

Nxtyear

Mike Hogan had the best show on the Fan.like the afternoon time slot wont hear Eric Smith anymore not that I ever did always changed station at 2.

June 27, 2010 @ 12:54 AM

Chris in Orangeville

Mike Hogan was the best daytime show on the fan. Knowledgeable about more than just hockey, he was a fantastic interviewer on par with Bob McCown. BIG mistake letting him go. He was th only reason i listened to the station before Prime Timne Sports @ 4pm

June 28, 2010 @ 12:54 PM

bill

OK by me so long as I don't have to listen to the Deacon preach and pontificate

June 28, 2010 @ 8:10 PM

Frank

I am turning my radios to 640
where common sense prevails

June 29, 2010 @ 9:07 AM

Peterborough Sports Fan

I have been a loyal listener for years and I will miss them
Why? because Landry was a witty guy and he was unique.
I am not looking forward to listening to some vanilla, blasse corporate type like the one I have been subjected to the last couple of days
Bottom Line. It was so boring this morning that I turned the radio off and talked to my wife.

June 29, 2010 @ 9:58 AM

aaa

Landry was useless and I'm glad he's gone. His impressions were terrible and I hate curling. Stellick kept saying "That way" too much. Good riddance.

June 29, 2010 @ 7:35 PM

j gould

just got back from 2 week vacation & have been wondering where gord, don & mike are. they are gone & so am i. good job mr kollins

June 30, 2010 @ 7:42 PM

Jim in Guelph

Now that Gord and Don are gone I will listen to Jazz 91.1 rather than Farraway. Whenever he was on the Fan I would switch off or change stations.

July 1, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

Krethek

As a mailman I listen to the Fan while delivering my route. I really enjoyed Hoagies show for its well rounded sports talk and generally dedicated topics. If he shows up on another staion ie 640 I will jump ship, otherwise I will give the new line up a try.

July 2, 2010 @ 6:36 AM

Kevin

It probably is time for some changes in the morning slots. The only time I really listened in the morning was when Pat was on. However I am disappointed to see Hogan leave. His was the only show other then Prime Time that I followed. His ability to portray a genuineness to his listeners and the fact that he is one of the few personalities left that is not combative with the callers made him a nice listen. I will miss his Argos content.

July 3, 2010 @ 1:31 PM

Gary

Landry and Hogan were completely useless and not funny at all. Anyone would be better. Now if they would only fire Doug Farraway or at the least never allow him radio time again along with Roger Lajoie. This Lumby guy they have right now though isn't going to keep people from changing the dial, find someone fast.

July 5, 2010 @ 10:15 AM

dan

with Don and Gord gone so am I

July 6, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

Mark from Mississauga

I loved Don and Gord and Vito.

I hate the current morning show. I'll be tuning out.

Good luck boys ! Hope you land a gig soon. I will be listening.

July 6, 2010 @ 10:41 AM

DAVE WRIGHT

Well start to finish, I didn't mind Stellick, very quick and quite knowlegeable about all sports. Hogan got stronger each year, couldn't tolerate him earlier. Farraway is far away the best, I can't believe no one is saying this. McCown to me is just vocal, reminds me of the so called funny guy in school making all the retards laugh but wouldn't be taken seriously with anyone intelligent. Brady has a style of humour I like. Krystal was good with 640 until he got canned about the same time they cleaned house a few years back

July 7, 2010 @ 12:58 PM

rick

Please get rid of Farraway too..arrogant and out of touch pontificator with a transparent agenda. Kollins has no clue who his audience is or at best is alienating all previous loyal listeners...guess who's next? see advertising revenue. Please tell me this guys plan extended beyond killing off Landry, Stellick and Hogan. Content now blows.I am now "grazing" up and down the dial.

July 7, 2010 @ 4:34 PM

doc

the goofs at 590 got it backwards.Landry,Stellick and Hogan should have been kept and that blowhard Mcgowan should have been shown the door.Mcgowen liked to hear himself talk and only said things to get a reaction.the radio goes to 640 when bob is on and will go elsewhere during the day.I want a sports channel i can listen to,not what everyone else has.(Kollins.you BLEW it majorly!!!)

July 9, 2010 @ 10:40 AM

Paul G

Landry and Stellick is...was a great show. I listened to those guys every morning. They were entertaining, intelligent, and not smart asses like some other talk show hosts. What a pity this has to end. My favorite spots were interviews with Sam Mitchell. Yeah, sure they had some non sports related content. Buts sports is about guys hanging together talking about games, trades, future spectulation and sometimes just goofy stuff. If I owned a radio station Don Landry and Gord Stellick would be my first choice for talk show hosts over everyone else. Good Luck Don and Gord and thank you very much!

July 9, 2010 @ 4:08 PM

PB

In my opinion Landry and Stellick (mostly Gord) carried the FAN, they are why I tuned in every morning. More than just the sports, they entertained the listener.I am very disappointed in the FAN. I find the new show, well just boring.
The guys running the ship blew it. Good luck, bad move.
Where ever Stellick ends up I will tune in.
Don & Gord, thanks for the mornings we had together.
The Fan 590 just lost another morning show listener.
P.S McCowen is annoying.

July 12, 2010 @ 7:30 PM

Time for an update...

Andrew Krystal will take over the old Hogan spot, leading into Greg Brady.

The new morning show hasn't been announced yet. Jeff Lumby is just filling in for the summer, don't get used to him.

July 12, 2010 @ 7:33 PM

Glenn

It is sad to see Don Landry and Gord Stellick off the Fan 590's Morning Show. Yes, I did grow weary of Gord Stellick "plugging" the book '1967' which he wrote with regular morning show guest Damien Cox and Gordo's constant stories about those crappy Leaf teams of the 1980s. He made those guys sound like they were Hockey Hall of Fame candidates. Hall of Shame, maybe, but not Hall of Fame. But at least Don and Gord were funny and a great team. Jeff Mumby is just BORRRRRING. No wonder he's worked in every province. How does this guy keep getting jobs? I'm not saying I'd be any better but Jeff Mumby doesn't belong in morning radio and neither do I. Jeff, get a job in an office like me. Or work the overnight shift on The Fan 590 but please, spare us the boredom of your broadcasts. Zzzzzzzzz....g-man1991

July 14, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

Glenn

Sorry, forgive me. I meant to type Jeff LUMBY, not Jeff MUMBY. See how much of an impact he's made on me and how much I enjoy his work? I can't even spell his name right. In the immortal words attributed to P.T. Barnum, "I don't care what the newspapers say about me, at least spell my name right." Sorry, Mr. Lumby, for misspelling your name. However, I still find you quite boring on The Fan 590 Morning Show. Again, either leave radio and take an office job or stay in radio but look for an overnight program to host. gman1991

July 14, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

Halski

Changes needed to be made at the fan no question about it. But maybe it needed to be at what the station seems to think is thier top dog. Mr.Negative himself Bob McCowan. If all you are interested in is giving negative comments or negative views then don't be so surprized as to why the ratings for sports talk radio is so low. or why fan support for Toronto teams from the fans is falling off... According to just about every news sports media person in Toronto seems to think a good job starts and ends with knocking our teams, players or coaches, that's the way they seem to think you gain fan support. maybe they should go back and read some of the articles from the past
the marlies,st mikes, the 50 60 leafs, toronto baseball leafs, the argos

What's wrong is the message this sport station is sending. Why would fans want to follow any team when all they hear or read is put down after put down.

It's time for change all right, but maybe it's the message and not the second stringers messengers that need to be changed. The McCowan ad's that run on TV tell you all you need to know, it's all about me, nothing about supporting our teams, he's alot of talk about nothing listen and see if his second comment on the same subject often doesn't negate the first, time after time
Make changes, but make them so we have a sports station that promotes our teams.

July 27, 2010 @ 10:05 AM

Anonymous

The morning show hasnt been the same since Pat Marsdon left(RIP). Change is good.

August 2, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

Anonymous

August 2, 2010 @ 6:01 PM

Vick

I woke up to the morning guys for 15 years. Gonna miss them. Hogan was like listening to a professor in school with his knowledge and connections. He was truly the best on the station.

August 6, 2010 @ 1:29 PM

grado

Its about time! the Toronto radio scene has been real bad for a LONG time. Don Landry and Gord Stellick were stealing money for years, Mike Hogan was so boring, the only guy worth a listen was Bob McCowan. we need guys that are TORONTO sports fans!! NOT guys from western Canada, I'm sick of the western slant on MOST of the tv sports networks. Lets stick to Toronto based stories on Toronto radio

August 10, 2010 @ 8:23 PM

Dolph

I have missed the REGULAR morning guys for the last 2 months. I am disappointed that Gord and Don were let go. I have been listenig to The Fan since it first started and will continue to be one. I hope they get the right mix in there or i will tune OUT...

August 13, 2010 @ 10:06 AM

Joe M (long time listener)

I have been listening to the FAN from its inception. I tuned out everything else and only listened to the FAN. (In sales and always driving).
The change has been terrible!! I even phoned the FAN and voiced my oppinion.
Who is Lumby anyways? No offence but a recycled guy. I want to hear someone's oppinion that matters and has some personality.
I really miss Landry and Stellick. Mike Hogan knows his football.
I am tuning out and rather listen to 640 with Bill Waters!
I will even forgo listening to McCowan.
Your loosing the professional 35-50 demographic that you so covet.
Call me when they get some real sports experts!!!!

August 25, 2010 @ 6:46 PM

cf

have not listened since the changes. great going kollins...hows your ratings now...

August 25, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

Anonymous

listening ro Krystal is like watching Fox News. Do a background check on this guy and find out what he stands for... im out

August 27, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

Richard

I really hate!!! the new fan590 format. Don Kollins what the hell do you think you're doing?
I want to listen to hosts who know sports, particularly FOOTBALL!!! If I want to chat about politics I can tune in to lots of current affairs, news, political oriented radio...I sure don't have to listen to it on the fan590....You have really screwed up getting rid of Mike Hogan...I'm in the 30-50 demographic. You have lost me as a listener...Congratulations Don!

September 7, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

john artis

Yo. I have been a long time listener to the Fan since Gord {DR G}hosted the Big Show, Gord,Don, Hogie,Erick, Jack have ,in my opinion,added personality, wit and humor to a sports radio broadcast. They are and will be miss.So for now I am protesting the changes by not calling in to the 'new' shows. Someone please explain to me why The Fan decided to put PTS on at 3-6? Yo Bob Cat protest. Loyal Fan Ratorized John

September 8, 2010 @ 10:13 AM

Joe Schmoe

I echo the sentiments of others that I've also tuned out the Fan590. Listening to the mornings now is absolutely painful.

Count me as another 30-55 listener who has tuned into WGR 550 AM in Buffalo.

And that's saying something!

September 12, 2010 @ 10:38 PM

Roy Green

Before end June, I was getting seriously tired of Stellic and Landry. Now that I've heard the replacements - PLEASE COME BACK GORD AND DON!
Getting rid of Hogan was an even bigger mistake. The A.M. and mid-morning guys sound just like yakkety-yak talk radio guys anywhere. McCown's the only one I listen to now.

September 13, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

Blue Green

Lumby rocks, whats wrong with you people !!!!!

September 15, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

Gunner Joe

ditto for me and this joke of pretending that the annoying Krystal was actually a planned choice rather that a hasty overreaction to plummeting ratings is nonsesnse.

I'm in the well-heeled 30-60 group and I've switched to 640. At least that station is what it purports itself to be. I want sports guys, not juvenile shock-jocks.

G'bye Fan, after almost 20 years.

September 22, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

Rasco

I used to like listening to the fan when Jack and Eric were on. I'm a fan of the NBA and they were the only ones that really talked NBA. There is too much hockey and football talk and now with Jack and them gone, I fear there will be no more NBA talk. The new guys are terrible. I tune in to hear sports talk and not anything else. I don't think the changes are gonna be favorable with your loyal listeners

September 24, 2010 @ 3:50 PM

Stephen

As a radio station, you ask people to listen to you, as a listener I hope you will listen to me in providing some feedback on your new morning show and host Andrew Krystal.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am all for making changes to make things better, but sometimes these changes fail. I tried, I really tried to give you a chance, but I am sorry, I can no longer listen to your morning show for three reasons. (1) Andrew is just not nice to listen to when I am driving to work. You all ready have a “glass half empty” kind of guy for your drive home, why are you trying to create another? (2) Not keen on your mix of sports and “other” stuff - very boring and your losing my interest (3) Andrew is not just anti-CFL, but anti-Canadian. I have never heard someone dismiss, put down and down right stomp all over a heritage that spans more than 130 years.

For these reasons, I have tuned to 1010-talk radio. You may dismiss my thoughts but far too often people just stop supporting a company and never tell them why. I thought it was the least I could do in hopes one day decide to listen to your listeners.

September 24, 2010 @ 7:50 PM

Kyle

I've tried as well, but have ended up with John Moore on 1010. Not sports, but at least someone I can listen to. These changes just aren't working for me. 41 years old this week and have listened to the fan for over 10 years. Now I just cannot do it.

September 26, 2010 @ 12:09 AM

Dave Ball

They should have fired Bob McCowan who is a total arrogant jerk not Don Landry. I have a hard time listening to the Fan and I have been trying but it is so bad now.....I would rather listen to a CD.

September 28, 2010 @ 11:30 PM

Rick

tried to listen again this morning as I do for about 3 minutes a day before I exercise my right index finger and hit Q107. I did however hear Maclean hang up on him today. I would have too. This Krystal guy is a potty mouthed infant....I am gone for good

October 14, 2010 @ 3:42 PM

JB

Not sure why Maclean hung up on Krystal yesterday morning. I think it was because he thought Krystal significant other was his daughter or something. Maclean is a strange guy. Krystal is great! Thank God they got rid of Don Landry!! Landry knew very little about sports in general. Glad to see Gord Stellick back!!!

October 15, 2010 @ 10:24 AM

Andrew

Landry and Stellick gave the intelligent sports fan a place to hang out and be entertained with solid interviews and some witty humour on top. The rest of the crew take themselves way to seriously (These guys like Doug Farraway and Bob McGowan need to find some other interests - if they weren't serious, they would be a perfect Saturday Night Live act! This is just sport, remember! Landry and Stellick treated it with the proper perspective and made it entertaining, which again is the whole point.

Krystal is a decent replacement, but I am not sure he has enough to keep the listeners tuned in. Seems like he has to work at being provocative.

Overall, bad move by 590. management. I rarely tune in anymore.

October 31, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

Anonymous

where in norn now

November 28, 2010 @ 6:06 PM

Dean Berkers

I have tuned out the Fan since the changes have been made..actually, that is not entirely true.
I have listened to Crystal enough to know he does not belong on a sports radio station.

December 19, 2010 @ 11:58 AM

rockin

I listened to the morning guy the other morning and after 2 minutes, I was done with the Fan. It was a good 12 or 13 years. Oh well, nothing lasts forever!!!

January 12, 2011 @ 9:31 PM