My Thoughts on the Four Remaining NHL Series

Stanley CupI absolutely adore the NHL playoffs. There's nothing like it in sports, in my humble opinion. It makes the NHL regular season feel like exhibition games.

Now that we're in the second round, and since it's all about me, here are the series I'm digging and not digging and the exciting reasons why.

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Montreal Canadiens

pit mon

This is my favourite series right now, because it includes both my favourite remaining team and my least favourite remaining team. I hope the Pens crush the Habs and show no mercy. If I were building a team from scratch, I'd pick Sidney Crosby first overall.

Philadelphia Flyers vs. Boston Bruins

phi bos

This is my least favourite series right now, primarily because I despise both teams. Can they both lose?

I'm watching game one right now and rooting softly for Philadelphia, so I can stop hearing about Tuukka Rask.

San Jose Sharks vs. Detroit Red Wings

san2 det

I grew up just hating the Detroit Red Wings. It was the Norris Division rivalry, and I couldn't stand them. Then, with guys I liked like Brendan Shanahan and Steve Yzerman leading the charge, it became harder and harder to hate them. Today, I don't mind them at all, and I sort of like watching the Sharks falter spring after spring.

Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks

van chi

The next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup has to be my Leafs. As a result, I'm physically incapable of actually rooting for the Canucks. 40% of my playoff pool plays for Vancouver, so I don't mind them going another round, but that's it.

But Chelsea Dagger is a great tune, so in this series, I'll just root for overtime every game.

LEW

Canucks v Hawks is the series to watch. The hatred between these two teams is monumental.
I'm so nervous right now, I'm ready to puke.
GO CANUCKS GO
PS. Rick Rypien is going to kill Ladd.

May 1, 2010 @ 1:55 PM

andrew

Not a Mtl. fan but I always want underdog to win. In this series I want Sid the Kid to do it again. Phil & Bos. - who cares as they'll wear each other out for next round. Same as you I hated Detroit for many years but now SJ & Heatley (even thought I picked him in my pool) they hopefully will choke again. Van. & Chi. will be best series of all. I have players from Vanc. & none from Chi.

OvEcCHKin = CHOKE - I took many Washinton players.

May 1, 2010 @ 4:13 PM

Ajax Mike

You know, I don't honestly get the hatred. Maybe it's because I'm not a die-hard fan of anything, but I just can't do the 'Anyone-but-[insert rival here]' rooting. It's just too negative for me.

I don't have a stake in the NHL playoffs, but given a choice I'd rather a Canadian team win over an American team, and an old-school team over a (dubious-market) expansion. So that would make my hopefuls the Canadians (sorry Mike), Bruins, Red Wings and Canucks.

How do the brackets work out? Any chance of a Canadians vs. Canucks final? I'd watch that...

May 1, 2010 @ 7:39 PM

Cheryl

Habs all the way. Yes, they lost yesterday, but they're going to win it in six or seven. My habs will win the cup again. Just wait. Go Habs go. My Coyotes are out. Who cares about the rest.

May 1, 2010 @ 9:39 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I love that Vancouver/Chicago series, Im gettting behind Patrick Kane and Chicago for the Buffalo Connection. There is non one in the East I like enough to root for.

May 2, 2010 @ 11:21 AM

Cheryl

Habs are going to win. Halak is unbeatable. So they lost on Friday, but they will win today and win the series in six or seven and then no more Penguins.

May 2, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

Cheryl

I told you so. habs won. Habs in six or seven if it goes that far, but maybe Habs in five. Penguins have no chance.

May 2, 2010 @ 6:30 PM

Alan G

Though I grew up a true blue Leafs fan, I still admired the Habs. Neither franchise is what it used to be. Anyway, I'm rooting for the Habs (pretty sure they won't get much further) and any of the other remaining "original six" teams.

May 5, 2010 @ 1:24 PM

Cheryl

Of course, the Habs are going to win. So they had a bad day last night. Tomorrow they'll win and they'll win on Saturday and monday. Halak is going to be unbeatable again. you'll see. Go Habs.

May 5, 2010 @ 8:05 PM