WrestleMania III and the 10 Who Have Died
I was watching Sportsnet last night, following the Leafs game, and they did a whole segment on UFC. I changed the channel. I have zero interest in UFC or MMA and I'm not ashamed to admit I don't get it at all.
I tweeted about this fact earlier today, and that prompted @pgvildys to tell me Wrestlemania might be returning to Toronto in 2012. That, naturally, got me thinking about Wrestlemania III at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan.
It was 1987 and I was still a big WWF fan. I knew it was fake, but it was my soap opera of choice. I loved the characters, the storylines and ate it up.
Here are the events that took place at WrestleMania III
- The Can-Am Connection (Rick Martel and Tom Zenk) defeated Bob Orton and The Magnificent Muraco (with Mr. Fuji)
- Billy Jack Haynes and Hercules (with Bobby Heenan) fought to a double countout
- Hillbilly Jim, The Haiti Kid and Little Beaver defeated King Kong Bundy, Little Tokyo and Lord Littlebrook by disqualification
- Harley Race (with Bobby Heenan and The Fabulous Moolah) defeated The Junkyard Dog
- The Dream Team (Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake) (with Johnny Valiant and Dino Bravo) defeated The Rougeau Brothers (Jacques and Raymond)
- Roddy Piper defeated Adrian Adonis (with Jimmy Hart)
- The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart) and Danny Davis (with Jimmy Hart) defeated The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith and The Dynamite Kid) and Tito Santana
- Butch Reed (with Slick) defeated Koko B. Ware
- Ricky Steamboat (with George Steele) defeated Randy Savage (with Miss Elizabeth)
- The Honky Tonk Man (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Jake Roberts (with Alice Cooper)
- The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff (with Slick) defeated The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair and Jim Brunzell) by disqualification
- Hulk Hogan defeated André the Giant (with Bobby Heenan)
Here are the participants that are no longer with us.
- Haiti Kid
- Little Beaver
- The Fabulous Moolah
- Junkyard Dog
- Dino Bravo
- Adrian Adonis
- Davey Boy Smith
- Miss Elizabeth
- André the Giant
I'm still sad about The Junkyard Dog.
Only 24 comments? C'mon, we can do better... Leave a comment above and let's keep this conversation going!