The Jerk Way to Unfollow in Twitter

twitterMost of you aren't on Twitter. I happen to like Twitter. My favourite times to tweet are during hockey games I'm watching. There's an entire community of hockey fans communicating in real-time and it definitely adds a valuable element to the experience. It makes a great thing even better.

I honestly don't care who's following me on Twitter or how many people are following me. I know it's 1,683 because I just checked, but that number means nothing to me. I primarily tweet to join in the #nohabsno and #throwthesnake fun.

I once read about a service that sends you an email every time someone unfollows you on Twitter. It tells you who unfollowed you, and what tweet pushed them over the edge. I always thought that was the worst service in the world, because followers on Twitter are always going to come and go and, unlike with Facebook, they're usually not your friends. They're usually people you don't know in the real world.

A tweet just hit my Twitter stream from a Chris Gingerich. Chris has 28 followers, tweets as @chriscrisco and claims to love hockey. Chris decided to unfollow me today, which is his prerogative, but he didn't do what I do and simply unfollow gently into that goodnight. Chris unfollowed the jerk way.

twitter

If you don't want to follow someone, simply unfollow them. That's the joy of Twitter. Don't do what Chris did. Don't be a complete jerk about it.

zoë

annnnd that, my friends, is a douche bag.

not just a social media douche bag but a real life douche bag.

z

April 18, 2010 @ 6:46 PM

brad

i hear hes the jerk stores all time best seller.

April 18, 2010 @ 7:02 PM

Chris Crisco

Wow - Point well made, Toronto Mike.
I really never figured my tweet would ever be noticed and I didn't mean to come across as being such a raging dickhead.
Your blog and tweets, while not always to my liking are quite well done and well informed, it was uncalled for on my part.
For what it's worth, I do apologize for the unnecessary (and perhaps beer induced) tweet.

You're right, I don't have many followers but I will tweet this with a link to your blog, if nothing else it will be fun to watch people trash me in your comments.

Cheers

April 18, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

Chris, if you disliked my tweets so much, and found them so uninteresting, why didn't you just unfollow me? Not only did you tell me you were unfollowing me, but you called my stuff uninteresting and put far in ALL CAPS!

Don't you care about my feelings?

April 18, 2010 @ 9:22 PM

Lisa

I follow you... I don't know you... but I enjoy most of your tweets. For the record I couldn't care less about hockey. Keep up the good posts Mike! You keep me in the know about things I don't normally have time to keep on top of :-)

April 18, 2010 @ 9:25 PM

Chris

Seriously? Sorry man but I really didn't think about anyone's feelings, it was just a random act.
I think it was the jacket thing that lost me in the end, no excuse though, lesson learned.
A simple unfollow would have been much classier.

April 18, 2010 @ 9:37 PM

Mark

Give Chris credit. At least he is man enough to appologise.

April 18, 2010 @ 9:42 PM

Now I'm really angry because you're suggesting my jacket isn't interesting. That's crazy talk.

April 18, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

Actually, Mark, I'm a little disappointed. Chris is coming off rather classy here. Now I feel guilty for calling him a jerk.

April 18, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

elvis

I thought Chris was a major douche bag until he suggested he stopped following after your jacket post. Now I just think he's a douche bag.

April 18, 2010 @ 9:46 PM

That jacket entry is nominated for a Gemini Award.

April 18, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

Chris

I was actually surprised you were kind enough just to go with jerk.

April 18, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

MIssissaugaBlogger.com

Good for Chris for apologizing. Mike would great in the following garb.

April 18, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

James

Could there be a Chris and Toronto Mike reconciliation in the works??

April 19, 2010 @ 12:30 AM

felix

Maybe they can get together over some Il Duce lasagna.

April 19, 2010 @ 12:52 AM

jason | getyouroj.com

Bah, I believe in the freedom of speech and I also believe that number means something from you since you allegedly make ad revenue off this website.. you'd just never admit it because you like coming off as the humble blogger who doesn't care if only one person is reading.. but we all know better which is what is funny ;-)

April 19, 2010 @ 7:42 AM

jason | getyouroj.com

and elvis = obsessed with douche bags. it's unhealthy.. and who the hell still uses that as an inssult, are you in grade 8?

April 19, 2010 @ 7:44 AM

Icarus

''...he didn't do what I do and simply unfollow gently into that goodnight. Chris unfollowed the jerk way...''

And you did not accept his unfollow and go gently into the night. No, you respond in the biggest douchebag way possible by making a post dedicated to him, who he is and how many others follow him.

Hell hath no fury than a woman/egocentric-blogger scorned?

April 19, 2010 @ 8:00 AM

Sorry Icarus, I don't have time to read your comment right now.

I'm busy making plans to meet Chris at Il Duce's restaurant. OJ Boy and Argie are invited, of course.

April 19, 2010 @ 8:53 AM

Icarus

No problem Mike, I'll expect my comment to form the basis of an entire blog post at some stage.

That seems to be your style.

April 19, 2010 @ 9:10 AM

In all seriousness, Icarus, Chris deserved what he got. And he's enjoying the roast... You might want to lighten up.

April 19, 2010 @ 9:52 AM

Icarus

You should have taken that advice when you recieved the twitter message.

If Chris 'deserved what he got' then you deserve being called out on what you did.

Sounds fair, no?

April 19, 2010 @ 10:08 AM

Fair enough.

I'll never delete / edit a comment in which I'm called out.

April 19, 2010 @ 10:16 AM

Icarus

Peace.
Nice post on the volcano... BTW...

April 19, 2010 @ 10:21 AM

Ok Icarus, you can come for lasagna too... :-)

April 19, 2010 @ 10:32 AM

elvis

Lasagna? I'm in. I'll have to get a note from my Mom to ditch school though...fucking grade 8 sucks.

April 19, 2010 @ 10:35 AM

Elvis, nobody's gonna buy that you made it to grade 8.

We've all got you pegged as a grade 6 drop-out.

April 19, 2010 @ 10:38 AM

Crisco

Lasagna sounds delicious, as long as we keep the conversation at a grade school level I should be OK - unless we start talking about math - then I'm fucked.

April 19, 2010 @ 10:59 AM

McNulty

Mike, this was a little jerky.

However, people like Chris will make these comments and not expect to get a response. If you make the comment deal with the consequences. Chris seems like he has done so in a very classy way.

Too bad other people that post here don't do the same.

April 19, 2010 @ 11:48 AM

LEW

Elvis - I hope you didn't leave the "s" off of Grade 8?

April 19, 2010 @ 11:59 AM

elvis

Grade 5 :(

April 19, 2010 @ 12:14 PM

Ryan

Am i the only one who disliked Chris at first point of blog but now wants to meet him because he came across so nice on these Posts??

Chris, I am Mike's younger brother, and I did not get an invite to meet OJ Boy!! Oh, what i'd give to meet OJ Boy!!!

LOL

April 19, 2010 @ 6:42 PM

elvis

@Ryan - he can't possibly exist as one person. It has be a collection of crusty old men to be that grumpy.

April 19, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Got to agree with Ryan, Chris you have my utmost admiration, you took Mike's outting without the usual profanity filled responses you would expect. Mike needs to buy the Lasagna.

Cheers

April 20, 2010 @ 8:21 PM

Sup

This is Chris, why do I get a 412 Precondition failed message if I try to post under my own name ?

April 20, 2010 @ 9:00 PM

Don't worry Chris, I haven't blocked your name. :-)

You must be putting something in the body that matches a the comment spam detection rules. Usually it's too many vowels or consonants in a row, like Heeeeeeeeeeeeyyyy.

Email me your comment and I'll tell you in a heartbeat.

April 20, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

Chris

Just one crusty old man, Elvis.
Maybe I can avoid future outbursts if I stop mixing my ED meds with Bud Light.

Ryan, Rick C and others --- it really was the twitter version of saying something I wished I hadn't.
Mike called me on it and I had to face the music, I'm glad to see most people feel I went about it in the correct way.

Cheers

April 20, 2010 @ 11:00 PM

Eric

Chris/Mike - just get a room and be done with the mutual luv-fest.
I need to shower now.

April 20, 2010 @ 11:19 PM

Don't be jealous, Eric. You'll get your turn.

April 20, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

elvis

Chris - I don't think you're crusty - OJ is the crusty one.

You're a man for owning up...you're all good in my books.

April 21, 2010 @ 9:26 AM

elvis

Chris - I don't think you're crusty - OJ is the crusty one.

You're a man for owning up...you're all good in my books.

April 21, 2010 @ 9:28 AM