Remembering the 7" 45 RPM Record

musicI've loved music for as long as I can remember. I used to buy my favourite singles on vinyl as 7" 45 RPM records. We called these 45s.

I used to buy my 45s at the Sam the Record man that used to exist on Bloor Street just east of Jane. When I was about 12 or 13 I'd pick up the single I was digging that week, usually on 680 CFTR, and I distinctly remember getting change back from my fiver.

I loved listening to my 45s. There was something very cool about gently lifting the needle and laying it down on the 7" vinyl. She'd grab a groove and go. About 3.5 to 4 minutes later, she'd be done, and you'd set her up for another spin. You just don't get that intimacy with MP3s.

It's Sunday night and I'm getting all nostalgic about vinyl, but would I trade my new digital world for the pop and spider that came with my old 45s? Hell no, but it's a lot of fun looking back. Here's my copy of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell". I still remember the day I picked up this gem.

Billy Idol

Digger

There was, and I think still is, something to be said for a real, physical format for one's favourite music. I still have my 45s in a box in the basement. They have to go there. I don't even have proper storage room for all of my CDs in the room with the stereo.

I had a small record player growing up. That, my portable radios and cassette recorders kept this budding music fan going for years. I couldn't wait to see the weekly charts in the Winnipeg Free Press and ask my mom to take me to the mall so that I could go in to the record store. If it wasn't the mall, the music section at the department store would have to do. In my teen years in Toronto, there were frequent, regular Saturday trips downtown to go album shopping with friends.

Huge gaps in the Winnipeg AM radio dial had me tuning to find out what else was out there apart from Winnipeg's three top 40 radio stations. Plenty, it turned out.

I was not the only one growing up in the Winnipeg area thinking that way. It turns out Alan Cross grew up not too far from where I was. Alan and I had an e-mail exchange going several months back, which resulted in him posting some of what I wrote to him on exploremusic.com after I noted that my 13 year old son was having a great time going through my accumulation of vinyl. Link: The Lost Glories of Liner Notes Part 1

It is simply impossible to have a remotely similar attachment to a digital media file vs. a physical copy of a song, album, video, etc. Delete something? Oops. Lose or damage a record or disc? Dammit!!!

April 4, 2010 @ 10:39 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

Records are cool, but exactly how old are you????? LOL

April 5, 2010 @ 7:37 AM

Old enough to write this entry!

April 5, 2010 @ 8:38 AM

Jill

Digital is nice for convenience but I much prefer Vinyl as it offers more warmth and is more acoustically pleasing.

April 5, 2010 @ 8:47 AM

But man is that convenience awesome.

Have you ever tried to email a 45?

April 5, 2010 @ 8:54 AM

Mike from Lowville

"Have you ever tried to email a 45?"

Or post it on here last Wednesday?

Hey what was on the "B" side?

April 5, 2010 @ 10:08 AM

Jill

Why sacrifice quality for convenience?

April 5, 2010 @ 10:19 AM

Ryan

I'm a huge music lover too, and when i got to university I figured out a way to blend my joy of good music with meeting chicks. Be a dj!

So i learned how to dj by spinning vinyl. I still spin at parties and such, but use a denon dual dj cd player instead..and many dj's would consider that form of spinning obsolete now too. A lot of dj's nowadays just bring a laptop to a party and away they go.

But you're right Mike. There is an intimacy to records, and it was lost a little bit with cd's, and now gone completely with mp3's, and for digital dj's now you don't even have to necessarily have a good ear for beat mixing and such. You just hit a button and the software will mix it for you.

I still have two crates of some great rare 80's alternative and new wave, and this weekend i left it in the hatch of my car. Although it was concealed and out of view, some punk hobo decided to break into my car by smashing the window. I guess he's a modern day cd hobo though because he didn't take one of my old records. Or maybe he just wasn't a fan of the smiths, new order and the cure.

April 5, 2010 @ 10:19 AM

Jill

Vinyl has never died to true music lovers and has outsold cds by 10% in 2009.

April 5, 2010 @ 10:22 AM

Jill

45's are not a good comparison for good sounding vinyl as they were too small and too thin and the grooves were too close together. There are some great pressings within the last couple of years of 12" vinyl on a 150-200 gram played at 45 speed........Incredible!

April 5, 2010 @ 10:28 AM

Alan G

I still have all my vinyl from way back when. Back then it was an event to have friends over to play newly purchased 45’s or albums. And it was fun to bring the latest hits to a party. I used to play vinyl on fairly high-end turntables with cartridges and styluses to match. Sure I noticed some pops and clicks back then but tended to ignore them. I’m in the process of converting my albums to mp3s and now I noticed every little flaw on them. I guess I got spoiled by the silence of digital. I do have some decent music editing software that can remove some of the noise, but if there’s too much noise to be cleaned, the final result sounds very mechanical. I do enjoy the portability of digital as well as having immediate access to a much larger playlist than any current radio station can provide.

April 5, 2010 @ 1:39 PM

MississaugaBlogger.com

I bought more albums than 45's. I miss the great art work and detail sleeves that the records would come in.

The snarly keyboardist in the video was always a favorite of mine when watching the video on MTV in Montreal bars.

You must have been young lad when you boughtthe Rebel Yell 45 RPM in 84 or 85

April 5, 2010 @ 5:53 PM

dj misbehaviour

Thanks for the post mike am a DJ that still plays 45's I do a night in New York dedicated to them with a whole load of djs http://mobilemondaysnyc.com. I'm in TO for a week. Anyone recommend cool record shops to go to ? I bought a box with me too if there are any places to play.

May 2, 2014 @ 5:15 PM

markosaar

Hi dj misbehaviour,

This list is pretty decent:

Never been to Grasshopper Records personally. It's a bit out of the way.

May 2, 2014 @ 6:11 PM