Help Me Win My NHL Playoff Pool

PuckHelp me win my annual NHL playoff pool. We're drafting tonight, as we have every April (other than the lock-out year) the past fifteen or so years.

Our draft is a little old school, and intentionally simple. We all physically get in the same room and take turns picking players until everyone has ten. Then, a point is a point is a point. It's all about points.

I once came in second, but typically I'm pretty awful at this. I need your help. Who are the players who will put up the points, outside of the usual suspects?

Which teams do you predict will make their respective conference finals?

Help me!

IronDoc

...see my last tweet re: playoffs...I should start a twitter feed for stuff my kid says...

April 12, 2010 @ 10:47 AM

Hector

I'll help you but will expect 50% of your winnings. :)

April 12, 2010 @ 12:04 PM

LEW

Take Canucks, we are in for a long run, and the boys sure know how to score.
GO CANUCKS GO

April 12, 2010 @ 1:17 PM

Sarah

Okay, I'm glad you posted this. I'm drafting tonight and I'm a little worried! I think I have a pretty good idea about what I want to do. My pool works just like Mike said his does.

I'm saying Washington/Detroit Final, and I guess the best idea is to ride a few players from one of the teams you think is going to take all. I'm predicting Detroit for Lord Stanley - so should I be drafting mostly Detroit players? Right? Wrong? HELP?!

I need some advice!

If any of you lovely hockey boys (or girls) would like to help me, can you email me your thoughts?

ohfrankiesaysrelax@gmail.com

Any help would be amazing!

Sarah

PS - Sorry to barge in on your blog Mike, but you posted this at exactly the right time. Cheers.

April 12, 2010 @ 1:26 PM

Boomer

Mike, I agree with Sarah. This is the way I do my playoff pools. Decide who you think is the final four and only pick players from those teams with the majority of the players coming from the final 2.

If you miss, you miss big time but if your teams make it to the final 4 or 2, you win big time.

April 12, 2010 @ 2:19 PM

Yes, that's what I try to do. I try to get players that I believe are actually going to play games. Unfortunately, I keep thinking "this is the year the Sharks do it". That's been my downfall, but I'm afraid the one year I abandon them is the year they go all the way.

Are there players who missed large parts of the season due to injury that will produce?

April 12, 2010 @ 2:21 PM

Sarah

Thanks Boomer.

Detroit vs. Vancouver
Washington vs. Buffalo

Those are my top four.

I think I'm going to stack myself with Detroit and Washington players.

Then I'm going to pray.

April 12, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

Anonymous

Mike - I share your opinion on the Sharks. And I fear that with my bottom four picks, SJ will be the ones who screw up my whole deal.

April 12, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

_Justink

My final 4?

Washington
New Jersey

Chicago
Vancouver

April 12, 2010 @ 5:03 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Buffalo Vs Washington
Vancouver Vs Chicago

April 12, 2010 @ 5:12 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I Don't believe Lindy Ruff has lost a first round and possibly hasn't lost a second round playoff matchup yet so its a good bet to take Buffalo to go to the final 4, and honestly after the season Miller is having and the way he is playing does anyone want to bet against the guy?

April 12, 2010 @ 5:14 PM

_Justink

Just found out that Chicago and Vancouver CAN'T be in the final 4 together, as they'd face each other in the semi finals if they were to win their 1st round matchups.

I'm going to revise my prediction, and go out on a limb and say:

San Jose
Vancouver

April 12, 2010 @ 5:41 PM

_Justink

I'm going to revise my prediction, and go out on a limb and say:

San Jose
Vancouver

April 12, 2010 @ 5:42 PM

David

VAN/CHI could meet in West final - but only if SJ go out in 1st round. If Sharks are out'Hawks play lowest-seeded team, meaning that couldn't be the Sedins 'til round 3. If the top 3 in the West win their 1st seres, then Round 2 is CHI-VAN.

Loading up is the way to go - bust or win. Go with 2-3 teams that aren't favourites. If you hit on 2 of them, you should win. Last time I was win a pool was about a few years back, and I loaded up on Canes and Sabres. They got to East final, I won the pool. Spreading around never works as well for me.

April 12, 2010 @ 7:43 PM