Get Off My Scrabble Board!!!

angryBBC News is reporting that the rules of word game Scrabble are being changed for the first time in its history to allow the use of proper nouns.

Place names, people's names and company names or brands will now count.

Mattel, which brings out a new version of the game containing amended rules in July, hopes the change will encourage younger people to play.

I play Scrabble as often as possible. I played a game as recently as Sunday. I love my Scrabble and this is the worst idea I've ever heard.

This reeks of New Coke. I'll stick with my Classic Scrabble, thank you very much.

Jill

I was so disappointed when I heard this. Really what qualifies for a name.....Suri,Kal-El,Fifi, Trixi,Coco, Kyd, Destry, Maddox & Bono....We will continue to play by our rules.

April 6, 2010 @ 12:01 PM

Liz

Why oh why are they f'ing with my Scrabble? The population is at an all-time 'dumbing down' low as it is. Sad, sad news.

April 6, 2010 @ 1:54 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

Water it down for the A.D.D. generation! This makes perfect sense! And brand names? Maybe Coca-Cola can sponsor a square...

April 6, 2010 @ 2:05 PM

Cambo

Hang on guys...read the article more carefully...this for a NEW scrabble game...not the Classic. The new game is also allowing spelling words backwards, stealing letters and other things. It's called Scrabble Trickster.
Scrabble Classic isn't changing...you still can't use proper nouns.

April 6, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

Steve

Whatever they call it, it still sounds friggin lame.

April 6, 2010 @ 2:37 PM

Il Duce

Yes Mike, this is terrible news. If I were to make comparisons for relevance, this ranks right up there with the bombing of Pearl Harbour or the assasination of JFK.

Grow up you geek! This 2010, not 1956.

April 6, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

@Il Duce

Judging from your comment, you clearly don't play Scrabble. Anyone who plays would realize this does rank right up there.

It really is a game of intelligence for strategic and learned thinkers. I'm not surprised you don't play.

April 6, 2010 @ 7:12 PM

James

I'd read it was only for some game that was about to be available in the UK. So yeah, the game you know and love is still the game you know and love.

April 7, 2010 @ 3:38 AM

Il Duce

@Mike

Wow!! Great return Wally Cleaver. Now go ask June for another glass of milk and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

April 7, 2010 @ 12:20 PM

Monica

Sigh. This is a huge disappointment. Hasbro is totally trying to widen their market by dumbing down the rules, and maybe it'll work. Soon, we'll be seeing shorthand language on scrabble boards in homes nationwide. IMHO.

April 7, 2010 @ 10:14 PM