ABC Intentionally Goes Overtime With Lost?

tvOne of the shows I record with my DVR is ABC's Lost. We're winding down the series and us Losties are looking for answers, dammit! The final episode will air May 23, 2010.

I record the show, which means I grab the CTV feed from 9pm to 10pm each Tuesday. I've noticed an unsettling trend. The show has been running about 62 minutes, or two minutes past my recording time. Trust me, you don't want to miss the last two minutes of this show.

Is ABC intentionally going overtime with Lost to mess with those of us who choose to record it and skip the ads?

Sinnacle

Most likely they are doing it as a ratings lead in to whatever is on at 10pm. The last two minutes of lost and the next 13 minutes of the 10pm show will surely draw a higher average quarter hour than 15 minutes of the 10pm show.

Also can be used to keep viewers watching the 10pm show (believe it's V but not 100%) Viewers will most likely stay to watch V from the start instead of flipping to a channel where another show may have already started.

April 1, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

Chemmy

On my TiVo I have it record Lost starting 10 minutes early and ending 10 minutes late.

They've been doing this for years with Lost.

April 1, 2010 @ 12:56 PM

Ajax Mike

It's the episodes themselves. Some Lost episodes are actually five minutes longer than the standard.

April 1, 2010 @ 1:22 PM

James

Chemmy's right, Mike. Adjust it so it stops recording 10 minutes late just incase..

April 1, 2010 @ 1:30 PM

Now I'm recording both Lost and the news that airs after it - so I figure the 2nd recording will kick in right after the first one ends.

April 1, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

Ajax Mike

Better to be safe than sorry and record it on ABC rather than CTV, and record V right after the fact. Watching it or not is definitely optional though.

April 1, 2010 @ 5:17 PM

Trish

I'm on satellite and I always watch LOST on ABC East. I don't trust CTV.

April 1, 2010 @ 5:35 PM

Coach

I think Grey's Anatomy is pulling the same crap, so my girlfriend tells me.

April 1, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

elvis

One thing that networks do, to raise ad rates, is extend popular shows into the next hour to purposely to increase ratings in the next 15 minute segment. Example - Lost runs from 8-9. If they run until 9:05, the audience numbers run into the 9:15 bracket and thus, then can charge Lost rates for a show during the 9-10 slot that likely isn't drawing the same number of viewers.

Don't ask me how I know. I just do.

Another note - if we were in the US and had Tivo, we wouldn't have this problem as it would be smart enough to extend the recording the end of the show.

April 1, 2010 @ 9:13 PM

kyle

the US networks have been doing this for several years - the real pain in the ass is how it messes with the simulcast, or vice-versa, especially when the two shows originate on two different US networks

April 1, 2010 @ 10:09 PM