Toronto Has Islands - Did You Know That?

torontoWhile sipping my Saturday morning coffee (a.k.a. the best coffee of the week), I was checking out the new videos from Retrontario, my favourite YouTube account holder in the galaxy.

I've been sharing Retrontario nuggets of gold since he was posting under the moniker WNED17. A couple of years ago, for example, I shared this classic 1984 Zoodles ad that features a song I'm still singing today. If you're over 30, you know the tune and, although you're unlikely to admit it, you love the tune.

Retrontario just uploaded a 1986 ad for The Toronto Islands. I used to plan day long bike rides on the Toronto Islands and it remains one of my favourite destinations in the city, but how many out-of-towners know we have islands? It's possible our islands are our best kept secret.

Here's the ad that sparked this query.

Hey out-of-towners, yes... I'm taking to you both. Did you know Toronto had these awesome islands?

CQ

Out-of-Towners?
Growing up in the near 'burbs I either didn't know or ever think of the Islands-plural. I was raised to be just another "I dont know nothin bout anythink I dont effin know" stoopid kidz."
- Reading this during my morning coffee. A smile while recalling a belated first visit including a lawn maze.

March 27, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

Digger

Wow - look! You can tell this is rather old, apart from the cars. The pullback shot of the island beach shows people swimming in Lake Ontario.

March 27, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

Sammi

You can thank your left-wing nuts for guarding the islands. They don't want anyone to know about them. Let's not forget how Miller cancelled the building of a bridge to the islands (which probably cost as much to break the contract as it would have to build it).

But I know Mike loves David Miller and he can do no wrong.

March 27, 2010 @ 3:56 PM

A.R.

What's with people bringing up David Miller on this blog at completely inappropriate times?

The Islands are a beautiful place to spend time. The skyline looks incredible on the ferry ride, and I love visiting that quaint pedestrian neighbourhood. Also, the water at the beaches are tested and you can swim there. Its Lake Ontario, which is quite cold, but it's doable.

March 27, 2010 @ 4:46 PM

And where did this "Mike loves David Miller" meme come from?

I wrote this 3 years ago, essentially saying I was disappointed in him and if there was a viable alternative I'd have given my vote to someone else: http://www.torontomike.com/2006/11/david_miller_for_mayor_1.html

March 27, 2010 @ 4:53 PM

James

@Toronto Mike: Bet you didn't know you were writing a political blog, eh? All you have to do is mention the GTA and out come the David Miller rants. I should be so lucky.

March 27, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

Sammi

This entry is so telling. The 'islanders' don't want to share the islands with anyone and Miller has caved into them. The bridge should have been built and let's not forget that Miller HATES Porter Airlines. He has and continues to try and block them at everything they do.

This is why a lot of people have no idea how many islands there are or what even exists on them.

March 27, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

C'mon Sammi, public ferries go to and from the islands all day long, every day.

And I'm assuming everyone in the GTA knows about Centreville on Centre Island.

I just wondered if the out-of-towners know about our islands, because you're right about one thing, they're very under-represented.

March 27, 2010 @ 9:22 PM

Roshan

I, out-of-towner that I am (all the way from India) first came to know about the islands in a Margaret Atwood novel. Then I read about the Islands being a favourite destination of a couple of Canadian actors (Neve Campbell interview I think) and I thought that this must be a good place to relax.

March 28, 2010 @ 1:11 AM