Most Popular Social Networking Websites

MouseAccording to Wikipedia, these are the biggest social networking websites you'd know about in North America, sorted alphabetically.

• Classmates.com
  • Facebook
  • Flixster
  • Flickr
  • Last.fm
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • Twitter
  • Windows Live Spaces

I currently have accounts with Facebook, Flickr, LinkedIn and Twitter. Which ones do you use?

felix

Which do I have accounts with? Or use? Heh. In descending order of last login:

Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, Classmates.

March 10, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

Anonymous

Twitter, Facebook, Last.fm (which is my favourite), Live Spaces (sorta neglected), Flickr, and I plan on getting LinkedIn (when I graduate).

And I bet if I were American or a musician I would have MySpace.

March 10, 2010 @ 8:47 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Currently just Classmates, caught up with a few of my old cronies through there about 4-5 years ago, just keep forgetting to shut it down everytime they bill me.

March 10, 2010 @ 8:48 PM

The_Voice

Everything listed except classmates and windows live spaces. My facebook is arguably the most connected and active.

March 10, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

Steve

I use none of them. A 140 character limit is lame, I don't like the privacy record of Facebook and by staying away from that crap it means that the 10 years of work I've done to eliminate loonbags from my life since my high school days stays worth it. I have a blog, that's all I need. I can say as much or as little as I want, I can post photos or videos if I feel the urge, people can email me or leave me comments and I don't have to pretend to be friends with some goof from third grade that I didn't particularly care for back then or worse yet, don't even remember. Anybody from back in the day that I have a serious want or need to find I can find or get updates on from the few people I have stayed connected with, and anybody I've met since and am friends with I can call, text or email. if Frank is eating soup and loving it he can let me know when I talk to him, I don't need to wade through a bunch of stupid "which character from Happy Days are you?" quizzes and junk to find out about it. Who seriously has that kind of time and nothing better to do with it? No need to answer that question. But even if you do, there are better things to waste it on. Drinking and watching sports come immediately to mind. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: It's not so much about who has that kind of time, but rather who needs all that clutter, not to mention all of the "hey, you didn't friend me!" guilt? I don't, I know that much. I decided years ago that other people's drama isn't my problem until it becomes my problem, and I'm a much happier person for it.

And to finish this off, I'm not some crazy old man. I'm only 30. More power to you all if you love Facebook or MySpace or whatever is big now, I just have no use for it myself...yet.

March 11, 2010 @ 8:28 AM

Of the four I currently use, it's time to elaborate...

Facebook: I never liked Facebook. I have the account, but not in my real name, so that gets rid of the old grade school and high school people. I don't actually do anything with Facebook except I automatically post blog entries there as "notes". I'm there b/c I feel "Toronto Mike" should have a presence there, but I don't feel it and I never felt it.

Flickr: I love Flickr, but I don't really use it as a social network. I use it purely as a photo / video hosting service. The images I embed in this blog are uploaded to my Flickr account first.

LinkedIn: I use LinkedIn for professional reasons. It's sort of Facebook for business, without all the silliness. Recruiters find me this way, and that's never a bad thing.

Twitter: This is the one true social network I put energy into. I'm a big fan - follow me at http://www.twitter.com/torontomike to see what I mean.

March 11, 2010 @ 8:52 AM

LEW

Facebook - I check in daily and find it agreat way to keep in contact with family and friends that are distant. I never kept in contact when it was just email, so Facebook is valuable to me. I do find the gifts and games silly though...

My two kids use it but find it too slow. It has also been taken over by people like me, old farts, I've noticed the youngsters have calmed down now that their parents are on it. So I'm sure it will be replaced soon.

I've just joined LinkedIn, and have not seen the benefit yet. I like social networking with friends and family, not with people that I work with or for, I really like to keep my personal life personal, so I can't see putting too much energy in it.

Twitter - I checked it out, but it wasn't for me.

March 11, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

CQ

Twitter is extremely frustrating to follow. I'll see an interesting reply line shown here but not be able to read its revelant and undisjointed comment from the other person, or a starting topic comment but without just those snappy replies from others.
IMO, it is a self-centred(!) networking web service, not really a social one. That relates to why I contribute at least as many outside comments (and click-through to actual websites rather than only lurk via a feed reader) as that I publish personal blog entries - although I'd left mine to linger a few years back.
Myspace is just inane, especially when used by professional Music Bands for a make-no-effort presentation platform.

March 11, 2010 @ 12:37 PM

The_Voice

So if I friend you on Facebook, Mike, will you accept?

March 11, 2010 @ 1:05 PM

Dizzy

I love and hate Twitter - I hate that people don't know how to use the RT button and I keep seeing RT something or other all over the place. I've had to unfollow some good friends for that simple reasons.

I'm on Facebook and Friendster, I think I also have an active Hi5 but I don't know.

March 11, 2010 @ 5:57 PM

@CQ To those who find Twitter frustrating, I always suggest starting by installing TweetDeck. Then, start following people but don't be afraid to unfollow those with no value-add.

I find I get most of my news via Twitter first. It's taken a lot of the thunder from my RSS feeds. I just love it.

@The_Voice Sure.