If IE Ignores it, Does it Exist?

MouseI was just checking out a great little HTML5 and CSS3 checklist by findmebyip.com. They've looked at the top five browsers, both PC and Mac, and looked at whether it supported CSS3 Properties, CSS3 Selectors, HTML5 Web Applications, HTML5 Embedded Content, HTML5 Audio Codecs, HTML5 Video Codecs, HTML5 Forms Inputs and HTML5 Forms Attributes.

I make my living in this world. Web-based work pays my mortgage and feeds my kids. This matters to me.

You don't have to know a stitch about HTML5 or CSS3 to see in this chart that IE6, IE7 and IE8 fare very poorly. This begs the question: if IE ignores it, does it exist?

And yes, I'm being serious. We don't develop web sites for ourselves or our web-savvy brethren, we do it for the masses, and that means we do it for IE.

How much time and energy would you commit to something that couldn't be seen or appreciated in Internet Explorer?

Daniel

If we keep this sort of attitude then we'll be stuck with IE forever. I think we're moving towards a more diversified browser landscape, and though I'm not a fan of the browser at all, IE is improving slowly and IE9 appears to be an interesting step.

Beyond that. many of these technologies are still in preview/planning stages and I think we're not quite ready to start sticking them into pages that we're building now. I tend to shy away from early adoption in these cases independently of my concern for compatibility with older, crappy browsers.

March 23, 2010 @ 6:45 PM

Scott Marshall

Regardless of whether you like or dislike IE &/or Microsoft, the fact is that there are more browsers supporting most (if not all) of the new capabilities than not.
Obviously IE is a big market share, but it is rapidly reducing, compared to Chrome & Firefox. (IE was ~79% in 2007, and is now ~61% to-date.
[source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qptimeframe=Y&qpsp=2010 ])

Given the more active and responsive development occurring with Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera inter alia compared to IE, I believe the Web community should be embracing & promoting technologies such as HTML5, CSS3 etc now.

If Microsoft wants to play in our playground, then they should be meeting our standards, not trying to hold us back to theirs.

March 24, 2010 @ 3:54 AM

James

I'd be all for the whole early adoption thing if it wasn't for one very minor concern. Accessibility. Firefox and Chrome may handle HTML5 and CSS3 better than IE, but if I can't use firefox or Chrome because the current screenreading technology doesn't work well with it, or doesn't work well with HTML5 should I decide to switch to either browser, it becomes a whole lot less relevant to me beyond whether or not I'm using a standards compliant browser. In short, it may look cool, but if I can't use it, I don't care.

March 24, 2010 @ 4:53 AM

The_Voice

Is the accessibility issue an issue with Firefox or Chrome, or is it an issue with the screen reading technology, and that the screen reading technology is not very well tested and developed for other browsers?

March 24, 2010 @ 10:47 AM

Race_Coach

On my PC, Firefox is my main browser. I resort to IE if something goes wrong. On my MAC, Safari is my may browser, and I resort to IE if something goes wrong. I think I lean slightly towards the early adopter side of the equations, but only SLIGHTLY. I clung to IE for years.

Keep developing for the best possible user experience. People will switch browsers to get a better user experience. It will become viral if it's good enough.

IE / Microsoft will be foreced to change if demand is there. Microsoft is about money, not fluff.

March 24, 2010 @ 7:16 PM

James

@The_Voice: Combination of the two, I suspect. Mozilla is at least working with screenreader developers on both Windows and Linux, and we're definitely seeing improvement--just not anything yet that I'd call reason to make me switch. Not sure about the Mac. Google, however? Not so much. And Safari? Works perfectly well on the Mac--it'd better, it's an apple product--but on Windows, it's an accessibility nightmare.

March 26, 2010 @ 4:25 AM