Happy St. Patrick's Day, Grandma

Happy St. Patrick's DayI was always very close to my grandmother. I remember a pre-teen version of myself timidly approaching the elderly woman behind the counter of the Irish Store and asking if she had a print of the Doors of Dublin. My younger brother Ryan was there too and our plan was to buy this print and have it framed for our Grandmother who spoke often about the old country. She spoke with such fondness of Dublin and Gaelic sayings and Irish legends and we knew she'd love the Doors of Dublin on the wall of her Gilford, Ontario home.

For many, St. Patrick's Day has become an excuse to party and drink to excess. For me, it's a reason to remember good times with my Grandma. We were told she wouldn't be with us by Thanksgiving Day 2009, but she's still with us today. Grandma, may the Lord keep you in His hand and never close His fist too tight.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Mike and Grandma

CQ

That's a good thing. Sadly, both of my grandma's had passed away when I was only three. (Visited the resting site of one, never even saw a photo of the other until I was about 17). And one of my grandpa's had died 30 years before that; the remaining (orphan) grandparent was a good man.

March 17, 2010 @ 12:20 PM

brad

erin go bragh

March 17, 2010 @ 12:57 PM

Ryan

Wow Mike, well written. As you said i was in that store with you and the excitement we had about pleasing Grandma with this gift was amazing.

I love her so much and miss the lucid Grandma with all my heart.

I too will not touch any alcohol tonight. I was on Dundas at Islington by all the pubs and people are drunk and walking into cars driving by.

REDICULOUS!!!

Love ya Grandma, I hope they let you read this in heaven.

Mike, will Heaven have access to your RSS feeds?

March 17, 2010 @ 7:29 PM

Hey Ry, Grandma's not in heaven. She's in Mississauga, and I've been to MIssissauga, that ain't heaven.

Besides, sadly, heaven does not exist. :-(

March 17, 2010 @ 7:35 PM

Ryan

I was under the assumption that Grandma does not know at this time what a computer is and does, so i am pretty sure she won't be checking your blog anytime soon.

However, when she finds peace, and because we all know Grandma believes deeply in heaven, i went in that direction.

I like to think that you get a lot of hits in heaven. And yes, Heaven does exist. Because if it doesn't, what is the point?

March 17, 2010 @ 8:42 PM

Ryan, you've stumbled on a far more profound question of our time.

If the visit can't be measured by Google Analytics, did it happen? Were web server resources consumed?

I'd argue that heaven does not exist or it would show up on my map overlay.

March 17, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

Mary

She is my mom and I know she loved us all so dearly. We are lucky to have her as a mom and grandma. I wish we could go back to that picture and ask her once again about the Irish she loved so much and the jokes she told so well about the Irish.

March 18, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

MississaugaBlogger.com

Very nice memory of your Grandma and St Patrick's day.

Glad your gradma is still with us and I think that parts of Mississauga are heavenly.

My take on Toronto Mike's.

March 18, 2010 @ 12:57 PM