Dani Stover on the Air in Peterborough

radioDani Stover is no longer producer of the Dean Blundell Show on 102.1 The Edge. She's still on the air, however, on The Wolf 101.5 in Peterborough, another Corus owned station.

You're likely familiar with The Wolf 101.5's program director. He's a fellow we call Freddie P from the Humble and Fred show who blogs at Canadian Thinker. Just last year, he wrote about Dani's courage. Dani spoke openly and eloquently about her battles with depression. Here's a bit of what Dani had to say.

The reason I feel the need to be open about this condition is because, with clinical depression comes a lot of stigma. And there's no need for it. One in five people suffer from some sort of depression. And I'm not talking about occasional sadness or periods of feeling distressed or miserable. I'm talking about feeling day-to-day sadness, anxiety, pessimism and helplessness.

I'm glad Dani wrote about her condition. She wanted to "reduce the stigma behind depression" and I'm all for that. Clinical depression is not a defect, it's an illness, and deserves the same sympathy and support that we give those with other diseases.

In her Wolf bio she states that she always "wanted to be a radio star". That journey has now taken her to Peterborough where I'll be rooting for her.

dani

Wayner

Wow, that's great news! When did this happen? Has there been an offcial announcement? Dean /Freddie have been silent

March 26, 2010 @ 1:33 PM

Marie

I have been listening to her and she is doing great. She has a disarming charm and a quick sense of humour fun hearing someone learn the ropes.

March 26, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

glen stover

I am biased being Dani's Dad, but I was so proud of her being open and honest about depression. The nstigma continues, however unfortunate. On Fearless Fred's show, the an Onion News segment stated that losewrs are 25 times more suseptible to depression. They are also 25 times more likely to commit suicide, and that because they are losers, noboidy cares. All this after one of your own "losers" committed suicide a few short months ago. I can only chalk the stigma up to ignorance, and a cheap attempt at humour, no matter who is hurt. I write this for Martin, since he cannot defend himself in death. Shame on you.

March 26, 2010 @ 1:50 PM

Jason

I will be listening to the Wolf

March 26, 2010 @ 2:01 PM

Johnnie Roy

We're already big fans of Dani. She's doing great! Way to go Dani

March 26, 2010 @ 3:07 PM

Joey Joe

I'm proud of you kiddo!!!

March 26, 2010 @ 3:51 PM

Ryan

Glen, you've raised a great girl.

Fred is just blissfully ignorant. I have stopped listening to the edge. Its cjiq in Kitchener for me now, and the wolf via web when Dani is on!

March 26, 2010 @ 6:45 PM

Sara

This stems to a few agruments and comments I've heard lately, whether it be on Facebook, radio or some other form of social media. And it is unfortunate to hear about another ignorant person who gets too much attention for the sake of, for lack of a better word, being ignorant. I was unaware that some of these comments had been made about people with depression and on-air. Seemingly unprovoked? It's a low-blow to people who struggle alone with this disease on a daily basis.
I'm probably a little biased as well, since I've known Dani for years, but since she started in radio I've always thought she would succeed. It was refreshing to have a "normal" female opinion on the Dean Blundell show, particularly when you're stuck listening with a bunch of guys! On to bigger and better things Dani! Keep up the great work and congratulations! Love She-Wolf

March 26, 2010 @ 9:28 PM

bkblades

Well, at least we know where she is now, thanks to you. Thanks Edge for the bang up job again.

March 27, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

Simon

Shes better off. Too classy for that show anyways.

March 27, 2010 @ 9:37 PM

Irvine

Interesting comment Sara. Here you are all offended about remarks Fearless Fred makes yet you continue to listen to the station.

Did ya ever once think "hey, maybe this continues because I continue to listen?"

Reminds me of people in traffic jams bitching about how there are too many cars on the road.

Nobody said Edge listeners were smart though, did they.

March 28, 2010 @ 5:01 PM

Colin

Irvine - I don't listen. I stopped listening to the afternoon drive way back when Brother Bill was the main man. Couldn't stand that guy in the least; I did not find him funny, entertaining, or informed. I tuned back in when I heard Bookie was in the afternoon slot. Then Fred came along. How does that moron stay in the business - I mean I REALLY did not like Brother Bill, but Fred makes him look like a masterpiece. Fred is a one trick pony who's trick isn't even amusing in the first place. So no more radio for me on the drive home; I'll listen to my own MP3s and flip to the AM station for traffic if/when needed.

I hope other people tune out as well and get Fred not only off the air but out of the business. What a toolbox.

April 2, 2010 @ 8:06 AM

Rob

The Onion is a satire...

April 3, 2010 @ 10:51 PM

Ellen

And because its a satire it is above being responsible for perpetuating a stigma.
Your mother should have told you a joke is only funny if everyone laughs. Anything else is cover up for a bully.

April 7, 2010 @ 11:16 AM

Rob

Actually Ellen, that segment doing the exact opposite of poking fun of people with depression.

The Onion makes fun of ignorance and stupidity. The purpose of the piece is to poke fun at the absurdness of thinking no would care when someone commits suicide.

A lot of people take The Onion literal when that is never the case.

Anyways this is coming from someone who has suffered from depression and has a sister that spent most of her life medicated because of it. I did not take offence from Fred's segment, because it was not ridiculing suicide if you know anything about The Onion.

Anyways, best of luck Danni. You were very enjoyable on the Dean Blundell show. I wish you much success.

April 7, 2010 @ 6:08 PM

Sean

I'm so going to miss her on the dean blundell show. very sad to hear her go. Maybe that is because instead of the wolf on 101.5 I get the local college radio :s.

Best of Luck Dani! I hope I get a chance to hear you again on the air.

April 13, 2010 @ 4:47 PM