Culture Shock (Or How Canada's Gold Ruined Leaf Games)

leafsLast night, I sat down to watch my first hockey game since Sunday afternoon. This one felt a little different.

On Sunday, I capped off a couple of weeks of Olympic hockey by watching quality play from the world's best with the highest of stakes on the line. It simply doesn't get any better than that. My team won in overtime, sending my house and my country into a frenzy. It was the highest of highs, and I was top of the world.

Last night, reality sunk in. My other team, my NHL team, stinks. We're threatening to finish last overall, we don't own our first two picks and we're just playing out the string. Watching the Leafs right now is just about the polar opposite in terms of intensity, meaning and skill that we witnessed watching Team Canada win Gold in Vancouver.

I'm sure I'll get used to this, but for now I feel the way I felt returning to normal television after watching all five seasons of The Wire. It's culture shock.

omar

Buffalo Boy Mike

i felt the same way Mike, the NHL just ain't that exciting.

March 5, 2010 @ 1:05 PM

McNulty

Of course watching your son's team was probably better than this Leaf's team. So were you ruined in two ways.

March 5, 2010 @ 2:11 PM

McNulty

March 5, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

McNulty,

I almost went with a picture of McNulty for this entry, but Omar was callin' my name.

March 5, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

James

The NHL has sort of lost me over the past few years. I only really watch now if a Canadian team is on a playoff run. When the Leafs aren't terrible, I'm sure I'll get interested again.

It's funny - the more over the top and intense the NHL coverage in Canada gets, the less I want to see it.

March 5, 2010 @ 3:22 PM

David

Obviously the Russian hockey team needed to eat more Honey Nut Cheerios.

March 5, 2010 @ 5:57 PM

MLSE

Dear Mr Boon:

Thank you for supporting our team and being a loyal fan. We appreciate your patronage we will continue to ice a subpar team as long as the profit margin stays where it is.

Regards,

Derry Aire
Marketing Guru
Leafs Hockey

PS: Don't forget our coming game against the Brandon Wheat Kings. Tickets for Leaf fans are only $89 dollars. We think we've got this game in the bag.

March 5, 2010 @ 6:10 PM

kyle

good thing you missed the Carolina game - that was worse than last night, truly painful.

March 5, 2010 @ 8:56 PM

Digger

Can you image what the clash was for Ron Wilson? Only he gets paid to endure it.

The Canada-US games were pretty much real "all-star" games. Sure, the NHL puts on their annual show, but the players do not play with full gusto and hit hard, because they are going back to their home team in a day. In the Olympics, they were playing for their country. Even the totally outclassed teams were giving their all.

The NHL will not get better until it is excised of some teams - a culling of the weak - players and franchises. Less quantity would result in more quality.

I think we're on to an old topic here.

(Maybe I should have used the name "Darwin" for this post?)

March 6, 2010 @ 10:00 AM

Digger

@ MSLE

Don't get your hopes up against the Wheat Kings, even jokingly. Never mind the what league the Wheat Kings are in. These guys know how to win games. http://whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=standings&subType=1&season_id=234&leagueId=26&lastActive=&singleSeason=&confId=0

I think first they'd wipe the ice with the Marlies as a warm up for the "senior" blue and white team.

March 6, 2010 @ 10:06 AM