What Your Web Browser Says About You

firefoxUsing data in Google Analytics, here are the browsers visitors to this site are using. This data was collected over the past 30 days.

browser

Internet Explorer is used by the majority of you, Firefox is a strong second and Safari is a decent third place with a little over 10%. Chrome is the new kid on the block and comes in fourth. No other browser is used by 1% of you.

Here's what your browser says about you.

Chrome - You're a speed freak, looking to get from A to B in as few parsecs as possible. Add-ons be damned, faster is better.

Safari - You're a Mac user and that makes you feel superior to the other 90% of us. Your arrogance is astounding.

Firefox - You hate IE, and that led you to discover Firefox back in 2004. By now you're so dependent on Firefox add-ons you'll never switch, no matter how fast Chrome gets. Your web standards sensibilities and loyalty to the Mozilla Foundation makes you rather endearing.

Internet Explorer - You use the browser that came by default with Windows, and you don't try another browser because you're lazy, disinterested in excellence and without a soul. Yes, I just called 52.39% of you soulless.

The other 1.78% of you using browsers like Camino or Blazer, you're anti-establishment and you frighten me. CSIS has already been notified.

Dizzy

I'd switch to Chrome instantly if the add-ons that I use the most (the ability to download Youtube and other Flash videos; the twitterbar app; and the adblocks) were available on there.

February 6, 2010 @ 4:33 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

So I guess I'm one of the 10% of the Mac users that don't feel superior to you (but do feel sorry for you PC people...)

February 6, 2010 @ 5:01 PM

Ajax Mike

Alas, I'm forced to use IE at work. I use Firefox at home. I'm not half-soulless by choice, does that count for something?

February 6, 2010 @ 5:34 PM

There's an out clause when you're forced to use IE in order to pay the rent. You're excused.

February 6, 2010 @ 5:36 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Well, I use IE at work and Mac at home... what does that make me? I'm not high maintenance.. I SWEAR!!

February 6, 2010 @ 5:53 PM

Stephanie, that makes you part soulless and part arrogant - a deadly combination.

February 6, 2010 @ 5:57 PM

Trish

Deep down, I always knew that as a Mac user I was superior to the 90% of the rest of you. Thank you, google, for validating me... :D

February 6, 2010 @ 5:59 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

If I were American, I would see the soulless and arrogant connection.. As a Canadian, I can only say that I'm really sorry for liking my Mac when I'm at home and using my PC and IE when at work (although I'll always have a PC because I love my Blackberry more than my Mac).

February 6, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

Mississauga Mike

I admit, I used my Bold 9700 a couple times to access the site.

February 6, 2010 @ 7:37 PM

Peter S

I'm a mac user and grew tired Safari. I switched to Firefox for the add-on functionality. I don't think it's an arrogance thing at all to be a mac user. Those who get macs just have less maintenance issues. You just have to pay a little more for the ease of use and the apple logo.

February 6, 2010 @ 7:50 PM

I hope you 10% Mac users know I'm kidding - it's just that my Windows alternative of choice is Ubuntu.

And some of you do send off a false sense of superiority. :-)

February 6, 2010 @ 7:57 PM

The_Voice

Now Mike, what does it say about your content that the majority of people use IE?

February 6, 2010 @ 9:00 PM

Digger

My first browser was Netscape. I stuck with it until it really stunk - was that 7 or 8? Firefox came next. I "have to" use IE for work, but unless I want one (and only one) feature of the company's site to work, I use IE Tab in Firefox. AdBlockPlus, NoScript script blocker, IE Tab and more. They all enhance the browsing experience.

Did you not once blog about how "clean" your web pages were in FF without all the ads, Mike?

February 6, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

I use AdBlockPlus which means I don't see any ads on my own site.

The ads make me a little money. Not a lot of money, but a little money. Few Firefox users see the ads so I suppose I should want the majority of readers to be using IE.

Yes, I prefer my own site without ads, but the ads are here to feed my addiction to milk and cookies.

February 6, 2010 @ 10:46 PM

Anonymous

i use IE at school (stupid default won't let me download firefox). i use firefox at home. and i use safari at work (cause they all swear by macs)

February 6, 2010 @ 10:54 PM

MississaugaBlogger.com

Mike

How about some e-mail analysis?

gmail.com vs hotmail.com or rogers.com?

Didn't realize Mac users couldn't take a joke.

On my PC at home & work Ive used Firefox soon after it was launched. Prior to that was Netscape. Never been an IE fan.

On my MacBook & iPhone it's Safari.
Arrogant? Hardly, just haven't gotten around to load anything else.

Thinking about taking Chrome for a test drive. Some of the younger folks at work rave about it.

February 7, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

elvis

Name me one add-on you can't live without? You're on crack if you don't use Chrome.

February 7, 2010 @ 12:06 AM

Mr. Elvis,

Adblock for Chrome is fine, but there are several add-ons for Firefox I'm not ready to give up.

1. Echofon (formerly Twitterfox). I manage my Twitter account with this one and I hate even reading tweets with Chromed Bird. This is the dealbreaker for me right now - I want my Echofon in Chrome.

2. I use the color picker add-on all the time to pull hex codes of colours for use in Photoshop, CSS, etc.

3. MeasureIt - I use this one all the time for measuring pixels on sites for various purposes as I manage my fleet of 1000 sites.

4. Greasemonkey - I use a whack of greasemonkey scripts - I'd rather not give them up.

February 7, 2010 @ 12:13 AM

And MississaugaBlogger.com, it's not Safari users that are arrogant, it's Mac users, and most Mac users are Safari users.

February 7, 2010 @ 12:25 AM

GC

Can't live without Adblock but has now made me annoyed whenever use any other computer to surf the web. I've recommended to a friend but had bad experience with it, caused him some slow loading time, I'm guessing its something to do with whats on his PC. I've never tried greasemonkey because I didn't understand it did exactly, what does it do?

February 7, 2010 @ 1:13 AM

I've set up another Chrome test.

I did find MeasureIt and some other extensions I like. I couldn't find the Color Picker I like that allows me to use an eye dropper to click a colour on the web page to learn the hex code.

I've also decided to give TweetDeck another shot, since I couldn't find a decent Twitter extension for Chrome.

We'll see how this goes...

February 7, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

Ryan

As soon as Chrome came out it was the browser for me. It is much faster than any other and within a few years will have more plug ins than Firefox.

And yes, i have a few Mac users who smirk at me when they come over and see my PC. Who the hell do they think they are? LOL

February 7, 2010 @ 11:36 AM

James

I alternate between IE and Firefox. Why? I still have a few accessibility issues with Firefox I'm working out. And, when I'm at my parents' place--where I am right now, I have no choice but to use IE. They have a small heart attack when I install an update. I'm not having the argument re: installing another web browser with them. I may be the geek in the family, but they still think they know best. LOL

February 7, 2010 @ 1:39 PM

Claire

I'm a Mac user (at home) who uses Firefox, but I usually read your posts through RSS feeds - I only ever come to your site to comment.I'd be interested to know how many of the Safari users are actually iphone users...

February 7, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

Here's the same chart by Browser and OS: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4337806613_23344c2a6c_o.png

Safari on a Mac is 8.62% and Safari on the iPhone is 1.13%. Safari on the Touch is 0.49%.

February 7, 2010 @ 2:43 PM

James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil

I am a Mac user and use Firefox. I've used PCs and Macs side-by-side since the mid-80s.

Even though I used to teach IE as part of a former job, I have never used it on either. Netscape and now FF has been my browser choice.

I really don't care for Safari or even Apple Mail. Does that make me an arrogant non-conformist?

July 31, 2010 @ 5:24 PM

Siobhan

I'm a Mac user who used Safari out of laziness, then got Firefox (which I forced my Windows-using family to switch to) and couldn't get along with it as it just didn't feel right. I do want to change browsers though, I might try Chrome.

I think this just makes me arrogant and confused.

October 9, 2010 @ 3:56 PM

Rj

As an ex-Firefox user who switched to Chrome...There are hundreds of add-ons, most just as good if not better than their Firefox counterparts. Even StumbleUpon and Web Developer!

October 14, 2010 @ 6:06 AM