Justifying DVD Thievery

cdThis graphic is making the rounds. It reminds me of a rant I threw down in 2004.

My friend lent me his Hulk DVD which I watched this morning. When I started the DVD three or four coming attractions began to play. Immediately I pressed the MENU button but this function was disabled. There was also no way to advance or fast forward to escape these commercials. Essentially, I had to sit through almost five minutes of crap I had no interest in before I could advance to the main menu to play the movie. It was extremely irritating and had me cursing Universal Studios before the 137 minute movie even began.

If you're buying or downloading pirated movies, this will make you feel better.

pirate
Click here to enlarge

Donna Vitan

Tee hee.

Watching full DVDs has become a process of popping it in, do a few little things like making your snacks... then plopping on the sofa when the movie is actually ready to play!

February 19, 2010 @ 3:57 PM

Sara

Or you can just watch 'em in the theatre and have makeout sessions during previews.

I kid.

I'm actually not big on pirated movies. Not because I'm against it, or anything. The other stuff just doesn't really bother me.

February 19, 2010 @ 4:09 PM

The_Voice

I did a project on DVDs back in 2000/2001, and I found out that it's built into DVDs that the first "title" isn't skippable. I think the intention was originally for the FBI warning, but some people use it for the annoying stuff.

February 19, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

Rick C in Oakville

LOL, never seen it laid out so plain as this, cemented my argument with my other half now I believe, thanks Mike.

I haven't watched a legit DVD in about a year as my time is precious and wading through the pre crap is just a waste of 7 minutes of my very little viewing time.

February 19, 2010 @ 8:06 PM

Romy

So right. Just another example of media giants "not getting it" regarding coming to terms with the digital world. then again, they've only had 20 years or so to adjust...

February 20, 2010 @ 5:44 AM

Anonymous

Hmmm..don't know what is so hard about hitting the fast forward or skip button on your DVD remote. What I get from this post is that people would rather give thieves money.

February 20, 2010 @ 8:52 AM

Ajax Mike

The point of the image Anonymous, is that many DVDs don't allow you to skip the previews and such. That function (as The Voice points out) is not available for the 1st track on the DVD, so any content put there is non-skippable.

February 20, 2010 @ 10:34 AM