24 Million Single Chinese Men

WeddingA lot of obvious news came across the wire today. Mark McGwire took steroids, Sarah Palin is contributing to Fox News and Simon Cowell is quitting American Idol. No surprises there.

It's also no surprise that they have a serious problem in China with men outnumbering women. More than 24 million Chinese men of marrying age could find themselves without spouses in 2020.

The study said the key contributing factors to the phenomenon included the nation's family-planning policy, which restricts the number of children citizens may have, as well as an insufficient social security system.

The situation influenced people to seek male offspring, who are preferred for their greater earning potential as adults and thus their ability to care for their elderly parents.

Sex-specific abortions are common in China. The strong cultural preference in China is to have boys over girls, so when the ultrasound shows it's a girl, it's often aborted. You can blame the single child policy for that lovely little factoid.

The normal male-female ratio is between 103-107 males for every 100 females but in parts of China it's as high as 130 males for every 100 females.

jason | getyouroj.com

I think you meant 'shows it's a girl', not boy, in the second last paragraph.

Dude, China kills people just for pratcising Falon Gong - a peaceful form of mediation - because, for some reason, they think it's a threat to their wonderful gov't.

In fact, all that bloodshed is why I refused to watch one min. of their summer olympics.

Their little too many boys and not enough girls issue is not even close to the tip of the iceberg.

China is FUCKED.

January 11, 2010 @ 6:53 PM

elvis

I hope you're not watching any of Vancouver than OJ for all the bloodshed here in our history.

January 11, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

Argie

Jason,

Couldn't agree more. But of course, the millions they abort each year is quite disgusting even for those who are pro-choice.

January 11, 2010 @ 10:14 PM

McNulty

I think the main difference between China and Canada is that most of our terrible bloodshed is in our past. China is doing it today.

I can't fathom aborting a child. It is even beyond my reasoning to abort it because it is a girl. Really, if that is not pre-meditated murder, then what is?

January 12, 2010 @ 2:03 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

Elvis, since you asked, I actually thought about boycotting the Vancouver Games, but never for those reasons.

Since I lived in Vancouver for a year I have a myriad of reasons for wanting to watch... despite the insane amounts of commercialism and hypocricy attached to the Games..

I was living in Van City when they were awarded the Games... by the way.... the majority of people who live in Vancouver/Whistler never wanted the Olympics in the first place...

Regardless, I don't think you can really compare Canada to China, that's like comparing Amsterdam to Texas.

January 12, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

elvis

Ask someone who went to a residential school and I bet they would beg to differ. As would I. It's a scar on our nation that no one wants to deal with.

January 13, 2010 @ 1:23 PM

Argie

Elvis,

Give me a break. Those Indians have been crying about that for years. They and YOU have to get over it.

Without residential schools, these people would have never been educated. They should be thanking Canada.

January 13, 2010 @ 10:41 PM

Laura

Awesome!!! :O
It's raining men... Halleluiah....

January 14, 2010 @ 4:58 PM