What is the Going Rate for Nostalgia?

baseballI recently wrote about my dusty old Rawlings Fernando Valenzuela glove. It's the best baseball glove I've ever used and I used it for years and years until it eventually fell apart on me.

Dana in Seattle left a comment on that entry this past weekend. Here's what Dana wrote:

I have the same model glove for sale. I think I purchased it new in 1993, Found your site as I was searching for its value prior to placing it on Craigs List. I used it for one softball season and then stored it. In excellent condition. Can provide a photo if you are interested.

Naturally, I was interested. The photos proved it was in fact my beloved Rawlings Fernando Valenzuela glove and it was in great shape.

glove

Next came the negotiation. How much was this old glove worth to me? After shipping, how much would Dana charge me? I wanted the glove, but at what cost?

The cheapest Dana would go, believe it or not, was $150 USD + shipping costs. Is that really the going rate for an old ball glove?

Dave

No, obviously that is too much. But that's what happens when you write a post talking about how much you love something. And possibly Dana wants it to be worth his/her while, ya know?

This isn't a collectors item. Most I'd personally pay for it would be $30. If it was my favourite glove EVAR(!!!!) I might go as high as $60. But it's used. And you're using it to catch softballs in beer league.

December 9, 2009 @ 12:15 AM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Exactly

December 9, 2009 @ 6:40 AM

I told Dana $150 was way more than I was willing to spend. For $150, I can get a pretty awesome brand new glove with all the modern niceties.

I'll let it sit unsold for a while until the price comes down to something fair. For nostalgia's purposes, I'm pretty okay with the pictures and memories.

December 9, 2009 @ 7:58 AM

Hobo Joe

Dude, that's outrageous. She should be ashamed. Dave is right, Dana thinks she hooked a fish and is trying to reel it in. If it were me, I'd have sent you a meaningless glove (to me) at cost of shipping in the name of being good to your fellow man who provides you with good content. And I ain't just saying that, I've given shit away before.

December 9, 2009 @ 9:53 AM

Alison

Pretty sad! I'd love to know what Dana would have listed it for befere knowing there was someone out there with a sentimental attachment to it! That's the same glove that has been collecting dust for over 15 years.....

December 9, 2009 @ 10:57 AM

Army

Mike:
Ya, way too much $$$$. I have a MacGregor "Eddie Feigner" (The King) model purchased new in the early 80s for around $25. In great shape, well broken in and still being used in an Old Farts' League in Florida today.

Any reasonable bid considered! LOL