Team Canada Olympic Roster Unveiled: I Didn't Make It
I understood why I was left off the Olympic men's hockey roster in 1998, 2002 and 2006. I wasn't playing hockey. In fact, I didn't play ice hockey after 1987 until last year.
But that's just it. I've been playing hard every week during the past two winters. I've improved my game to the point where I'm good for two goals a week. Furthermore, and most importantly, I've shown a knack for elevating my play come crunch time, in the spirit of Doug Gilmour and Michael Jordan. I've got all the intangibles you want in a hockey player.
This afternoon, as I drove to play hockey, I heard the members of Team Canada unveiled. There were some great players named, and some great players left off the team. That's where I'll be. Off the team.
I honestly thought I had a shot this year. I'm not sure what more I can do. In Stevie Y we trust, I guess.
Here's our Canadian men's hockey team for the Vancouver Olympic games.
- Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
- Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins (alternate captain)
- Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks
- Dany Heatley, San Jose Sharks
- Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames (alternate captain)
- Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks
- Brenden Morrow, Dallas Stars
- Rick Nash, Columbus Blue Jackets
- Corey Perry, Anaheim Ducks
- Mike Richards, Philadelphia Flyers
- Eric Staal, Carolina Hurricanes
- Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks
- Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks
- Dan Boyle, San Jose Sharks
- Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings
- Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks
- Scott Niedermayer, Ducks (captain)
- Chris Pronger, Flyers (alternate captain)
- Brent Seabrook, Chicago Blackhawks
- Shea Weber, Nashville Predators
- Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils
- Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks
I've now got my sights set on 2014.
Only 9 comments? C'mon, we can do better... Leave a comment above and let's keep this conversation going!