Long Ago, When the NHL Had Ties

rewindI've been writing a recap of every Maple Leafs game the since 2002. Six years ago today, I wrote about the 2-2 tie between the Leafs and Capitals.

Sure, the Leafs extended their franchise record for consecutive games registering at least a point to 13, but a tie against the craptacular Capitals is disappointing. This was certainly a game we should have won, even with backup goaltender Trevor Kidd making only his second start of the season and regular defensemen Tomas Kaberle and Aki Berg out the lineup. A win tonight against the Habs will make everything alright again.

Note the peculiarity? No, I'm not referring to the fact the Capitals sucked in the pre-Ovechkin era or I thought the absence of Aki Berg might actually hurt us, I'm referring to the score. This game ended in a tie.

Yes kids, there used to be ties in the NHL. I swear, it's true. Only six years ago there were ties, and we still loved the sport.

Let's bring back the tie. I've had enough of shootouts and 3-point games. In an effort to have less ties, let's play 4-on-4 for ten minutes of sudden death overtime, but if it's still even after that, let's give each team a point and call it a tie.

What say you? Do you agree it's time to bring back the regular season tie?

Buffaloboymike

I have a better Idea, lets play that 10 minute 4 on 4 and if its still tied, go to another 10 minute 3 on 3 until someone scores.
Winner in overtime gets 3 points, loser nothing....thats right stop the pity point.

December 19, 2009 @ 4:11 PM

Mark

I'm not a fan of ties in pro sports. Play until someone wins, whether 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 or some combination thereof. Anything that's not a shootout or tie is better than what they currently have.

December 19, 2009 @ 4:38 PM

Dizzy

I disagree with Mark - I like ties - it gives the fans something to munch on and the thought of "next time!" or something. We tied this game, next time will be better.

It works best with teams they only play once or twice a year, like those in the West, but still.

I still don't like the shoot-out. I have that option turned off when I play my NHL video games.

December 19, 2009 @ 5:27 PM

David

3 pts for 1 win. 1 pt each for a tie.

December 19, 2009 @ 6:29 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I've always hated the shoot-out. I'm in favour of the tie. The game is supposed to be 3 separate 20 minute periods. Bring it back. I've always said that (EVEN when it is Leafs who have won).

December 19, 2009 @ 7:54 PM

eyebleaf

No ties, but it's time for three points to be awarded for a win.

December 20, 2009 @ 8:03 AM

Mike from Lowville

Tie and fire Buttman!

December 20, 2009 @ 9:20 AM

BCapp

I say go back to the tie but DO NOT get rid of the loser point. If we want to even it out make it 3 pts for a regulation win and 2 for an OT win.

Do you remember how boring pre-loser point OT was? Teams were to afraid to lose that point to play hard offense. By guaranteeing that point you got more exciting games because teams already had a point in the bank.

Perfect example of that is our first loss to Buffalo this year. They started OT with a PP against us and roled out FOUR FORWARDS! Thats fun hockey.

So I agree lets ditch the shootout, but lets don't ditch the loser point it makes OT more fun!

December 20, 2009 @ 10:44 AM

Cheryl

Yes, bring back the tie. Make it what it used to be like. I hate shootouts. That's not real hockey even if my Coyotes or Habs win the shootout. Make it back to if it's a tie, it's a tie.

December 20, 2009 @ 12:53 PM

Gooner4ever

I think we need to mirror the football (soccer) way of thinking.

3 points for a win and 1 each for a draw. No overtime and no shootouts.

2 points for an overtime win and a loser point is a bit silly.

Basically, you can be a poor team but as long as you are good at the shoot-out you can gain an extra 5-10 points a season. Which could make all the difference in April.

December 20, 2009 @ 1:27 PM

CQ

I agree with BCapp's comment.

December 20, 2009 @ 9:27 PM

Terry Allan Walma

I heartily agree with Gooner, and have been saying this for years... bring back the tie, and award 3 points for a win like in soccor. Then you'd really see some teams fighting for that win!

December 3, 2011 @ 8:57 AM