Buck Martinez Returns to Blue Jays Broadcasts on Sportsnet

jaysBuck Martinez's kid went to the same primary school as me, at the same time. He was younger, but we all knew who his dad was.

Martinez, in the twilight of his career, was a solid back up to Ernie Whitt who was enjoying some all-star seasons behind the plate for our Toronto Blue Jays. I remember that year Martinez got run over blocking the plate but still managed to fire a bullet to second third base. He was out for the year and the strip in the top right corner of the following page in my scrapbook shows BJ Birdy protecting Whitt from the same fate.

My Scrap Book

Why am I writing about Buck Martinez today, a popular back up catcher for the Jays in the 80s? It's because he calls a great ball game, and his years doing Blue Jays broadcasts with Dan Shulman were pretty special.

Wouldn't it be great having Buck Martinez back calling Jays games on television? Perhaps on Sportsnet? In place of Jamie Campbell?

It's true, Jays fans.

Down Goes Brown

I remember that year Martinez got run over blocking the plate but still managed to fire a bullet to second base.

It was third base.

(And yet I probably don't remember anything I learned in school that year.)

December 10, 2009 @ 5:01 PM

James

Amazing news! Jamie Campbell seemed like a nice guy, but he was not a quality baseball play by play man.

December 10, 2009 @ 6:01 PM

Fredericton Steve

I don't like either one.

December 10, 2009 @ 6:29 PM

Megan

Ya Buck! I'm not a huge fan of Jamie Campbell. I like the old players with him. Buck and Dan were awesome.

December 10, 2009 @ 6:51 PM

Mike from Lowville

Yes....yes...and.....yes!

December 11, 2009 @ 8:59 AM

Army

Definite improvement over Campbell. (Is he returning to his role as Jody in "Family Affair"? a.k.a Johnny Whittaker)

The question is: Who will be the colour man? Hopefully not Rancid........who even makes Tabler look good!

December 12, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

J Britton

Buck never fired a bullet to 3rd base. Unless you count it going over Garth Iorg's head into right field.

He tagged out a guy while breaking his leg. He threw to 3rd to try to get another guy out. It went into right field to George Bell. The guy tried for home. George Bell threw to Martinez on his bum. Buck tagged out the guy.

March 2, 2010 @ 10:07 PM