The Final Taboo: The Man-on-Man Mouth Kiss

thumbsdownI recorded Sunday night's American Music Awards and watched it last night. Most of it was pretty bad, so I'm glad I was able to fast forward a good chunk of it. I did watch the closing performance by Adam Lambert, however, and part of that performance was one of the final taboos on American television.

Adam Lambert, an openly gay man, had the audacity to kiss another man on the lips. The kiss with his keyboard player lasted only a second, but it resulted in over 1,500 complaints by American viewers to ABC. ABC's "Good Morning America" has even cancelled an appearance by Adam Lambert on their show as a result of this performance.

I believe the man-on-man mouth kiss is one of the final taboos on network TV. When Britney Spears and Madonna smooched during the MTV Video Music Awards, it was great water cooler chat fodder, but there was no FCC action. We'll see if the FCC can resist creating a clear double standard moment with Lambert and ABC.

2009 AMA Awards Show

I think those 1,500 people complaining about Lambert's 11pm performance need to get over it. Same sex kissing is just as boring as opposite sex kissing.

Hector

Get your facts right, Mike. It was the simulation of oral sex that got him cancelled on Good Morning America.

Who cares anyway!

November 24, 2009 @ 4:49 PM

Mississauga Blogger

Nothing wrong with a kiss. Violence, rape and murder has been a TV staple for years

November 24, 2009 @ 5:56 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

You need to watch somewhere around the minute 15 mark. It's not kissing.. Well.. maybe it is..

November 24, 2009 @ 6:33 PM

McNulty

All of these acts just covered up some pretty bad vocals.

Adam Lambert doesn't have the ability to sustain a career for long. He is a gimmick.

I don't care about the kiss, to me it is no big deal. I just don't like the guy. He just seems so forced and phony.

November 25, 2009 @ 7:57 AM

Jessie

Okay, so it wasn't the kiss that was supposively the problem. It was the dance move mimicing oral sex. However! Might everyone remember it was late night TV? And, late night TV has not been opposed to blatant hints of sex of all kinds of varieties for years.

ABC cancelled the morning show, not because they are anti-Lambert, but they felt his performance might be a bit much for the morning crowd. I kinda' agree with their decision there, though I'd like to have seen him have a chance to do it and not immediately be assumed he'd copy the same act for a different audience.

Besides, if female performers can make money grinding on their male dancers all dressed in leather *cough*Brittany*cough*, how is this different?

November 25, 2009 @ 9:06 AM

TeeDot

I agree with most of what everyone above has said.

But, I'll add in the true story about why GMA cancelled: they are both ABC. They didn't like the fact that Adam didn't disclose his "moves" beforehand, say, like Jay-Z uttering expletives. Dick Clark Productions like to be prepared. And they are showing Adam that if he thinks he's slick, they are slicker. They just cost him a couple hundred more album sales by not appearing on GMA and last place CBS morning show got him instead. Also Letterman 2nite.

BTW, Jay-Z & Alicia Keys BEST performance in forever on music show, watch if you missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMkB8K9RNBs

November 25, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

Buffaloboymike

Who the hell is Adam Lambert?

November 25, 2009 @ 12:00 PM

Rick C in Oakville

It may have been after 11 in the eastern time zone, but Cali is 3 hours behind, prime time 8-9 pm time slot.

November 25, 2009 @ 7:49 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

West coast probably did not watch it live. But, I don't know that for sure.

November 26, 2009 @ 12:53 AM

TeeDot

Apparently the west coast did not see what east coast saw, although I'm not sure how that that happened. Maybe blurred it out?

Saw him on Letterman last night. Horrendously boring. And they also did a couple ultra close ups on his face...very bad skin. But he's just so boring. Either keep up the "act" like he did at the AMAs and be the female version of Lady GaGa, or just give it up. Freddie Mercury, he is not.

November 26, 2009 @ 9:04 AM

Mary

Of course there is a double standard. Janet Jackson grabbed her crotch and nothing was made of that! He was cancelled because it was a "live" morning show and people are having their first coffee of the morning. Could they be sure he would stick to a safe, calm, first thing in the morning act? Me thinks not. He has just come out openly at end of American Idol and he may still be trying to explore some sensationalism and shock value. Is it fair? No, but this is America we are talking about?

November 26, 2009 @ 10:54 AM