Ranking the Radio Listener Outcries

radioIf my memory serves me correctly, I've written about five radio stations flipping formats in the past seven years. I'm sure more stations heard in Toronto have changed their formats during this period, but I've only blogged about five.

Here are those five entries and the number of comments left by frustrated fans of the abandoned format. The total for the Country 95.3 entry is as of this moment and will most likely have increased by the time you read these words.

1. Country 95.3 Quits Country - 308 comments
  2. 1050 CHUM Now CP24 Radio 1050 - 83 comments
  3. Kiss 92.5 All Hits Radio Born From Ashes of Jack FM - 71 comments
  4. Virgin Radio 999 FM - 13 comments
  5. WBUF Drops the Rock - 0 comments

Don't go messing with a country boy.

elvis

Karen is going to spit her chew out at you after reading this entry. Yee Haw!

November 18, 2009 @ 8:15 PM

James

Wow, I didn't really know that country 95.3 existed before I read that post. I had no idea people were so into it.

November 18, 2009 @ 8:28 PM

Rick C in Oakville

James, I think Corus didn't realize how many people listened to it. Kind of show the flaws in the rating system, may not have drawn big numbers of listeners, but they are very loyal listeners.

Good on you Mike for giving us this forum to vent.

November 19, 2009 @ 7:38 AM

The_Voice

I posted a comment on the WBUF posting for two reasons:

1) Because it was sad to see it had 0 comments.
2) Because I do find it funny that people post on a blog that has no direct relation to the radio station itself.

Then I read Mike's comment on the traffic directed to the site by Google / Bing / whatever, and that it's almost entirely due to the amount of content people are posting.

So while I still think it's weird that people post on a blog their frustrations, I understand that it serves the purpose of venting with others who think the same way publicly, and possibly attracting the attention of the people behind the radio station.

Do I think this will cause Corus to shift back? I guess it depends on how much PROFIT the new radio station format generates.

November 19, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

Gene

Yes, heaven forbid Corus wants to make a profit. How ruthless of them.

November 19, 2009 @ 12:24 PM

Irvine

Well Gene when Shaw/Corus bought out Energy 108 it was making a profit. Shaw, then Corus took the station and buried it into the ground, switched formats, it flopped now they hold up the banner they need to change formats to make money.

Country 95 probably existed in it's format because it made a good "fit" in the whole cluster scheme of things. It was strategically placed where it was. When PPM was introduced they realized maybe time to do something else.

And as for the comments on specific topics what Mike won't tell you is that he's reasonably skilled with Google and uses known methods to bring his blog to the tops of the hits. The reality is such that a Hamilton newspaper probably knew NOTHING about this blog, but they Googled 95.3 and this link came up near the top.

Mike tries to pass this off as "success" but in fact it's just manipulating Google to draw in hits. IF..he didn't and let this blog sell itself on it's merit's he'd be lucky to get 100 hits a day.

November 19, 2009 @ 2:14 PM

Yes, Irvine. I'm a Google manipulator.

That $100 billion brand is my bitch.

November 19, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

Irvine

If you'd like I can teach you how to be a PHP bitch dude.

November 19, 2009 @ 2:55 PM

And just so you know, you're quite a bit low on that 100 figure.

But this much I know for a fact. Those who come via Google click ads, the regulars don't.

November 19, 2009 @ 2:59 PM

elvis

If Mike was an SEO genius, he wouldn't be wasting his time blogging to us retards.

November 19, 2009 @ 7:58 PM