Never Trust a Politician

thumbs downNever trust a politician. It's a kin to trusting a salesman. They'll most likely tell you what you want to hear in an effort not to alienate potential voters.

Browsing Saturday's Globe, there was a fluff piece in which several people at a party celebrating the Indian Festival of Lights were asked about their cinematic allegiances. Bollywood or Hollywood?

The non-politicians asked seemed to answer honestly. Sudhi Matholi admitted he preferred Hollywood movies. Anita Kapal wanted to say Bollywood, but admitted she preferred Hollywood because Bollywood is overdramatic. But wait until you read the answers from Bob Rae, Michael Ignatieff and George Smitherman.

Bob Rae

Bollywood is bigger, it's alive and it's having a huge impact on Toronto. I like both, but if I had to choose - there was no better movie last year than Slumdog Millionaire.

Michael Ignatieff

In this crowd, it's got to be Bollywood. I love the singing and the dancing. It lifts you up every time. There's a kind of joy there that we all need.

George Smitherman

I like Bollywood for the authenticity.

Again, never trust a politician. Authenticity is not on the menu.

Trish

Good one, Mike. Gad, they are so transparent.

November 16, 2009 @ 10:02 AM

elvis

Slow news day in Pearl Jam land I guess, eh?

November 16, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

Slow news day? Are you kidding?

Haven't you heard Corus killed country music?

November 16, 2009 @ 10:43 AM

James

Heh. Bob Rae wouldn't know the truth if it kicked him in the rear. And, uh, has Ignatieff even actually been to a movie that wasn't played out in a Stratford theater?

November 16, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

Irvine

It's likely they're lying but who says it's true? I'm a white guy and I'd prefer to see a Bollywood film over Hollywood garbage. I'd sooner watch Asian films on OMNI TV than Hollywood crap

I know in the world of Wonderbread Mike it seems entirely impossible but some of us actually like something different.

November 16, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

Irvine, do you really think at a party celebrating the Indian Festival of Lights that these three politicians were telling the truth when picking Bollywood over Hollywood?

November 16, 2009 @ 5:16 PM

Irvine

I'd say it's unlikely Mike, but I wouldn't say entirely impossible.

BTW, take note of Ignatieffs answer. If you read it and THINK about it, he says "in this crowd". I mean, I'm from Calgary, ain't no liberal love going on here but he did predicate what he was saying.

November 16, 2009 @ 7:48 PM