My Sore Arm (Or Proof I Practice What I Preach)

needleYeah, I'm the guy who called you selfish for refusing to get the H1N1 vaccine. And you parents who won't get your kids the shot, you're doubly selfish. There, I said it.

I wrote that at the end of October, but practising what I preached turned out to be trickier than I thought. For the longest time, vaccination clinics were only serving the very young, the very pregnant and those with other conditions. Finally, at some point in mid-November, my kids were able to get their H1N1 flu shots.

To close the communication loop, and to prove I practice what I preach, on Sunday my wife and I made our way to the Etobicoke clinic at Burnhamthorpe and West Mall to receive our vaccines. I'm feeling great, but I must warn you, this ain't your yearly flu shot.

My left arm still hurts! It's not the worst pain I've felt there this year, but I'm surprised by how much it still hurts two days later.

Now get yourself to one of our free clinics. Many have no wait at all right now. It's better to have a pain in the arm than be a pain in the ass.

Hector

Why do you think it hurts?

November 24, 2009 @ 4:44 PM

I hear it's because of the adjuvant - I also hear it only hurts for up to 3 days, thankfully.

November 24, 2009 @ 4:46 PM

Race_Coach

Don`t worry. The arm pain should go away very soon. My wife and kids got their shot last Thursday. Wife`s arm was quite painful, but lasted only 3 days. Kids pain was no worse than typical flu shot. I got my shot last Friday morning. Seven hours later (this seems consistent) my arm developed some pain. Luckily, it never really got bad. I took an Advil that night (just in case) and by the next day it was fine.

I am glad my family is now protected from contracting or transmitting H1N1. Sadly, only 10% of Canada has been stuck.

November 24, 2009 @ 5:09 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

My kids and I had ours on a Sunday and I would say it was end of Thursday/Friday before I could say I could no longer feel it at all. But still.. considering my worst issue was a 'hurt' after raising my arm greater than 90 degrees.. pretty good considering the alternative!

November 24, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

Tee

Hopefully you didn't get one of the GlaxoSmithKlein shots that are being recalled.

November 24, 2009 @ 5:44 PM

Race_Coach

* 7,500,000 doses have been distributed across Canada.
* 170,000 doses have been recalled (2.26% of all distributed) by GlaxoSmithKlein
* The recalled doses were distributed in October, and it is assumed that most have already been administered
* Of the recalled doses, 6 people have suffered allergic reactions. That is 0.00035% of the recalled doses, or 0.00008% of the distributed doses. You`ve got a better chance of winning 649.

* Frankly, a recall against these numbers seems unusual. While waiting for my shot, the people behind me were conspiring to deny any allergy to eggs (that one of them had 7 years ago, but seemed to be gone). People lie. People get reactions as a result.

November 24, 2009 @ 6:52 PM

And it's also worth noting that none of the patients suffered long-term ill-effects.

November 24, 2009 @ 7:23 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

And it's also worth noting that all of those people suffered their reaction while still in the 20 minute post-injection waiting period. I had a massive sweat-out the first night which I read afterwards was one of the less likely reactions. Not a big deal...

November 24, 2009 @ 11:44 PM

Hector

Mike....what is long-term to you? A couple of weeks?? Let's see what happens in a few years.

November 25, 2009 @ 8:42 AM

Anone

Sheep. According to the numbers that have been put out by Toronto Health so far, you have a better chance of getting struck by lightening than dying of swine flu. Way more. I do believe there is an inherent danger to vaccinating everything under the sun. Unless you're talking about the really serious illnesses, such as Mumps/Rubella/Polio etc. We cannot and should not be creating a vaccinated society. We Lysol everything, we make everything so germetically clean, our bodies are no longer developing natural immunity to simple viruses. Down the road, long term (and I mean way longer than 1 year), we have absolutely no idea what these vaccines do. Most of the world survived H1N1 without vaccine, and came through just fine.

November 25, 2009 @ 8:59 AM

Professor

I have no moral obligation to get the vaccine.

November 25, 2009 @ 7:33 PM

Trish

I had mine on Sunday, Mike, and until this morning my arm felt like someone had punched it hard. And like Stephanie I had a massive sweat-out but didn't think anything about it. Another thing. Starting Sunday I sneezed three days in a row -- and normally I NEVER sneeze.

November 26, 2009 @ 11:44 AM