Hugh Dillon's Hard Core Logo

filmI just watched a show called "Ink: Alter Egos Exposed" on IFC Canada. It's a cool series about comics and graphic novels that I stumbled upon. It's hosted by Headstones lead singer Hugh Dillon.

Is it me or is Hugh Dillon everywhere these days? Between the promos for Flashpoint and Durham County, he's the hardest working guy in Canadian showbiz this side of Humble Howard.

Speaking of Humble, he and Fred told some fantastic Hugh Dillon stories during their Christmas podcast back in 2006. If you haven't heard it, listen to it now! Dillon, don't ya know, was quite the.... nah... I won't ruin the surprise. But my favourite Hugh Dillon memory is being blown away by his performance in Bruce McDonald's Hard Core Logo back in 1996.

I was 22 when I first saw it, and I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It was a road movie, it featured great music and it was totally and completely Canadian. It remains one of the finest Canadian movies I've ever seen.

I heard there will be a sequel. I wish they'd leave it alone. You just know they're going to ruin it.

Here's the original trailer.

Phil Evans

Billy Talent, the band, is named after Callum Keith Rennie's charcter in this film. Wonder if he'll reprise ?

November 12, 2009 @ 9:55 PM

And my favourite part of that Billy Talent story is that they misspelled the character's name. It's actually Billy Tallent.

I recently watched Callum Keith Rennie on Californication and he was pretty good.

November 12, 2009 @ 9:58 PM

kyle

don't forget about Hugh's new album http://www.hughdillon.com/index.php/works-well-with-others.html.
given the way it ended, I'd be curious to see what MacDonald would do with a sequel (pre-quel maybe?)

November 12, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

Found some more info about the sequels (yes, I wrote sequels) to Hard Core Logo at http://www.dose.ca/movies/story.html?id=fe790a54-0f19-49ea-8285-9fc07b644eb6.

The first sequel — Hard Core Logo II — is about the relationship between Bucky Haight (Richings) and Joe Dick (Dillon).

The second, tentatively titled Hard Core Logo III: 45s, focuses on Joe Dick and Billy Tallent (Rennie) and was written by Canadian playwright Daniel MacIvor.

"Our inspiration was the movie My Dinner With Andre by Louis Malle and Daniel's cooked up a pretty terrific night on the town for our two gentlemen," McDonald says. "It's a real character piece. It's a smart, cool little Cassavetes kind of thing."

The third movie — which McDonald has been calling Daughters of Hard Core Logo — will be a new spin on ‘that sort of genre of Breakfast Club, Rock ‘n' Roll High School, Fast Times at Ridgemont High — the classic high school movie." Written by Paul Spence (co-writer/star of Fubar), the movie is about Joe and Billy's teenage daughters, who have their own band called Sex Chimes.

And yeah, no idea how a sequel involved Joe Dick. That ending was pretty clear.

November 12, 2009 @ 10:27 PM

McNulty

Great movie. One of the top of the line mockumenteraies.

Also don't forget Dillon's performances in Degrassi. Degrassi I tell you!

November 13, 2009 @ 8:03 AM

the drunk mailman

hard core logo 5...hard core zombieland...joe dick eats britney spears and miley cyrus

November 27, 2009 @ 10:48 AM