Get Your Goddamn Flu Shot, Fred

H1N1A little over a week ago, I suggested your personal decision to not get the H1N1 vaccination was selfish.

That's right. I think those who reject science and prefer to buy into silly conspiracy theories and urban legends and reject the free H1N1 flu shot are selfish. They're selfish because getting immunized means a person does not spread the illness to others. That's one less carrier walking around, shaking hands, touching public door knobs and TTC poles and spreading the virus.

With 54 comments, that entry seemed to strike a nerve with people, especially my pal Freddie P from Canadian Thinker. He wrote an entry about my stance in which he said he was "amazed" by what I had wrote. Freddie didn't hold back and let me have it.

It's a personal decision and certainly not something that should be criticized or lead to insults from people who are willing to buy into every flavour of the month.

If you want to throw the word selfish around, how about those bastards who showed up even though they knew they weren't eligible. And I wonder how many healthy people have actually contracted something while standing in one of those pathetic lineups.

If you're that worried about the virus put your house in lock-down or wear a flippin' mask when you leave the house.

There are 47 more comments over there. Hector wrote, "Well said Fred! I couldn't believe Mike's stance on this issue." Argie wrote, "I totally agree Freddie. Mike, I'm afraid, has a case of Torontoitis. This sickness is diagnosed as any person who follows, like a blind sheep, whatever the Toronto media preaches." And James Edgar wrote, "I usually side with Mike but this time he's off base."

I value Fred's opinion, as I do Hector's, Argie's and James Edgar's, but I stand by what I wrote. The more people who get the H1N1 flu shot, the less dead bodies there will be.

As I read the dead tree version of today's Globe, I couldn't help but notice a full-page letter to Canadians from Dr. David Butler-Jones, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada. Dr. Butler-Jones outlines the government's plan to protect Canadians against the H1N1 flu virus.

IMG_0116

There was one line that spoke to my point about how not getting the vaccine is selfish. "The more Canadians who get vaccinated, the better we all are protected against the H1N1 flu virus".

Without actually printing the word "selfish", Dr. David Butler-Jones, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, has my back. It's a simple numbers game. The less people carrying the virus, the less people contracting the virus, the less deaths there will be.

Get your goddamn flu shot, Fred.

Aimz

Totally agree with you Mike.

November 7, 2009 @ 12:26 PM

brad

get yer goddamn flu shot, fred! ya selfish bugger!!!

well said, t.o. mike

November 7, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

Freddie P.

Surely you can do better than that?
The letter in today's Globe proves nothing more than its become political...
I'm not getting it.

November 7, 2009 @ 12:32 PM

Political, Freddie?

With your Rational Man in charge?

Is 60 Minutes too political, b/c I urge you to watch this segment from last Sunday: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5486397n

November 7, 2009 @ 12:43 PM

Here are YouTube links to the 60 Minutes segment on the H1N1 Vaccine.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55LbMsavzw

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NffzuJ7wYk

November 7, 2009 @ 12:47 PM

Steve

I'm with Fred, I'm not getting the thing.

If you want to talk selfish, talk about all of the non-high risk people who are trying to get or have gotten it, leving those who actually do need protection against the flu without their shots.

Among regular folks, nobody dies from this thing. the people who get seriously ill and kick because of the media flu are for the most part people who already have something else. Everybody else just takes a few days and gets better. If you need a checklist to tell the difference between what could be a cold or normal flu and this one, it ain't that bad.

November 7, 2009 @ 12:54 PM

Ajax Mike

Again I'll point out, what about folks like me that cannot get the shot? It's not a personal choice for me, its medically impossible due to an allergy. Given the choice, I would like to protect myself, but I don't have that choice. My only protection is my own personal hygiene, and the choices of those around me.

Thanks Fred, Argie, Steve, and the rest of you, for making this season just a little more dangerous for me. Thanks very much.

November 7, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

Race_Coach

Fred sounds like a B.A.C.F.
Perhaps he has spent too much time at the trailer.

November 7, 2009 @ 1:19 PM

Freddie P.

Brilliant Race_Coach. Not using your real name means perhaps you've spent too much time at coward camp.

And share with us what BACF is, and maybe your real name too.

Spineless slithering jelly- fish creep.

That's a SSJC

November 7, 2009 @ 1:59 PM

Fredericton Steve

I'm pretty sure I just had it so no Shot for me.

November 7, 2009 @ 2:34 PM

Fredericton Steve

also, even if I wanted the damn thing there is nowhere I could get it and even the small groups that can get it have created long lines. If you're likely to catch a falu it's probably standing in line with a 1000 other people.

November 7, 2009 @ 2:36 PM

Oliver

I stand by my decision not to get it: call it weird, but the last time I was immunized for something, I got it that very year.

Thanks, but no thanks.

November 7, 2009 @ 3:18 PM

Race_Coach

@ Freddy P -> You remind me of the drunk "Back Ass Country Fuck" who wants to pick a fight with everyone in the bar at the end of the night.
-----------------------
Sure the average healthy person may not get terribly ill if they contract H1N1. But while they walk around with the virus, and pass it on to others (typical behaviour of people who are not terribly ill), they may very well be transferring H1N1 to someone else WHO MIGHT DIE as a result of their obscene selfishness. THAT is what pisses me off. You could inadvertently be killing someone just because you wouldn't get a harmless little shot.

November 7, 2009 @ 4:06 PM

Freddie P.

Let's take it over the top coward_coach. Those who don't want the shot could be inadvertently killing someone?
Don't tell me, you listen to the CBC!

You remind of the flakey "SSJV" who wants to throw a sucker punch at the end of the night and then run away.... without giving his name.

November 7, 2009 @ 4:18 PM

James

I have to ask. Not because I'm an ass--well, okay, so maybe a little--but because I'm curious. Why is it our responsibility to protect people who know they have underlying health issues? If you know something like H1N1 can and likely will kill you, get vaccinated for it. That's why it's out there, and that's why the high risk folks are going first. Why do I have to go stand in line, and probably catch it from someone else, because you don't want to?

Also: vaccination does not equal H1N1-free. It just means symptom free. So, if I go out and get stuck, I could still be a carrier in a couple weeks. I just won't know it because it won't actually be affecting me. Just my $.02.

November 7, 2009 @ 5:06 PM

jason | GetYourOJ.com

Attention Blue Rodeo fans. Instead of getting the H1N1 shot go on down to Blue Jays Way this Tuesday for a free show to promote the new double album The Things We Left Behind http://getyouroj2007.blogspot.com/2009/11/e-rodeo-waiting-for-world-live-acoustic.html

November 7, 2009 @ 5:15 PM

Gary

Vaccines can also give one the very illness that he/she is being immunized for. Some who get the vaccine may get sick who may not have otherwise. What about them?? Are they not harming others too???

November 7, 2009 @ 5:15 PM

elvis

Cat fight! See you in hell bitches!

November 7, 2009 @ 5:37 PM

Race_Coach

@ Gary -> Facts? What is your source? Can you point to any valid data?

@ James - > Some people can not get the shot because of alergies. If it is not your responsiblity to protect the innnocent, can I assume that you are also quite willing to drink and drive? After all, why should you care about the innocent?

November 7, 2009 @ 5:43 PM

@James

The Vaccination actually makes you immune to the virus, not just the symptoms. After receiving the H1N1 flu vaccine, most people will start to develop immunity within 10 days with just one dose.

So people with the vaccine will not be carriers.

November 7, 2009 @ 6:35 PM

David Pylyp

ACHew!

sorry about that; Great readers response. You seem to have touch a nerve!

Good for you and Continued success!

More shots will be available as the more urgent groups get theirs, then I will go and get mine.

David Pylyp
Living in Toronto

November 7, 2009 @ 6:53 PM

Ajax Mike

@Freddie P

Over the top or not, he's right. There is the chance that you could kill someone by giving them this flu. Or any other flu for that matter. The chances are slim, but they're there, particularly for the at-risk groups. And guess what? People who are at risk to this flu can have allergies too. It's an egg allergy in particular, which is the 2nd most common food allergy in kids under 5.

The fact of the matter is, choosing not to get a flu shot *is* a personal decision. But it should be made with the full realization that by not getting it you're not just gambling with your health, but with everyone else you come in contact with if you happen to become a carrier. That doesn't just make you selfish, that makes you an asshole.

November 7, 2009 @ 7:39 PM

Pat

I had to. I'm a high risk patient. I'd rather you did get one but it's your choice.

November 7, 2009 @ 8:10 PM

andrew

I agree with Freddie P.
The flu season is almost over for this stage & will again erupt in Feb. for the spring.
It takes 10 days or more for the flu shot to take effect & even if I get a shot today it will not do anything until the next wave.
I've gotten the seasonal flu shot every year for past 5-6 years & personally I've felt lethargic for the whole winter.

I'm taking a chance this year as too much HYPE with this & don't want to pay consequences later on in life.

November 7, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

Gary

@Race_Coach.....look it up. Any flu shot carries the risk of giving you the flu. I have known several people who get the flu shot every year and every year they get the flu.

November 7, 2009 @ 9:24 PM

@Gary

That's simply not true. suggesting the flu shot can give you the flu is extremely ignorant.

The influenza vaccine cannot give you influenza. The influenza vaccine contains dead influenza viruses and they cannot cause infection.

November 7, 2009 @ 9:33 PM

Gary

Believing that the flu shot cannot make you sick is even more ignorant.

November 7, 2009 @ 10:09 PM

@Gary

I'll side with medical science on this one.

November 7, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

James

Not to dispute medical science or anything, but every year I've been vaccinated, I've been sick. Every year I haven't gotten the shot, I've been just fine. Now, granted that's just for your everyday flu, but still. Doesn't exactly motivate me to chance it on the H1N1 vaccine.

November 7, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

Race_Coach

James – I’m not a doctor. But we all get colds regardless of the flu shots. Your circumstance sounds like coincidence. Are you sure you got the flu those years? The shot only prevents flu, you know.

I've been sick for the past couple of weeks, but getting better. I've had the regular flu shot this year already. Do I blame the flu shot? NO!!!!

Don’t be a paranoid hypochondriac. Get your shots.

November 7, 2009 @ 11:12 PM

Rob

Freddie P,
Of course it's your right not to get any Flu Shot.
But maybe you should have a little chat with Stafford and see how much fun he had when he got the flu in September.

For myself, I will get both shots, when it is my turn.

ps
off topic, I was wondering if your going to comment on the return of Dipstick and Twit ... sorry, I mean Jesse and Gene coming back to Toronto Radio (for a short time).

November 8, 2009 @ 6:37 AM

Freddie P.

Declaring at this point that there are no side affects to the vaccine is the height of ignorance.
Has there not been enough history to such things?
Go ahead, screw with your own life, but I ask you once again, leave me out it.

November 8, 2009 @ 8:48 AM

elvis

It's pretty straightforward if you're on the "no shot" side of this. You have to believe that National Advisory Committee on Immunization
(NACI) has made the wrong decision given all the information they
review and research that's available to them. Look at the membership of the NACI. Look at their credentials. Look at what they do full
time. Now go and watch that youtube video/report/whatever that's being passed around and critically ask yourself if you know something
they don't.

November 8, 2009 @ 9:24 AM

Ajax Mike

"Go ahead, screw with your own life, but I ask you once again, leave me out it."

And you claim you're not being selfish?

For god's sake, for the last time, it's not just your life you're *potentially* (i.e. minuscule chance) screwing with. By not getting the shot, you are *potentially* (just as minuscule chance I'll bet) risking the lives of people around you. Random stangers and family and friends alike.

November 8, 2009 @ 10:35 AM

Wayner

this reminds me of the Monty Python argument sketch...it will never end

November 9, 2009 @ 8:37 AM

Jessie

I don't know guys. I know ya'll are equally passionate about your positions for and against as Mike is.

I have had seven friends and friends-of-friends come down with it. They have all been terribly sick in a way that I am anxious to get the shot. We've had a few deaths here:

My closest friend of the seven was bedridden for a total of 3 weeks. It was ugly. Sadly, he had to drop his college classes for the semester and was otherwise rarely sick, active and healthy. Of course, this affected his work as well.

Sure, we can bounce statistics and such around all day. It's the personal experience that got me anxious for the shot.

Besides, I think Mike's entitled to his passionate statements. He's not the type of blogger out there to please everybody and be completely PC 100% of the time. I read this blog, despite how I stumbled on it, because he's opinionated and writes with a passion many bloggers lack.

So, two points:

Personal experience = I'm getting the shot as soon as I can.

Passionate blogging = win, regardless.

November 9, 2009 @ 9:09 AM

Foodfacts

Yup...should get one....never know when this seems to be harmless stranger infiltrates

November 10, 2009 @ 5:09 AM

URNID10T

Funny thing is not getting a flu vaccine can never be selfish. If you are vaccinated, and a neighbor is not, then only he can get sick. What's the problem? You're vaccinated?

November 21, 2009 @ 7:02 AM

Race_Coach

My family (2 kids, wife and myself) all got their H1N1 shot last week. We are still alive and well. No side effects, except for a sore arm. We don't have stubby noses, no curly tails and we still talk without an "oink". There’s no sign of a government chip implanted under our skin. It's no big deal! You conspiracy theorist are all a bunch of paranoid delusionists without any evidence. Good thing we got rid of Small Pox and Polio before you were around.

November 22, 2009 @ 9:55 PM

We all got our shots as well. My two kids go theirs last week and my wife and I yesterday.

Other than the sore arm, we're doing great.

November 23, 2009 @ 9:04 AM

Tee

I've been searching the web for the brands of seasonal flu vaccine, as I'm trying to find out of they carry thimerosal-free vaccines in Toronto. I know the two types of H1N1 vaccines available contain thimerosal and since I'll be getting that in January I don't want to get the seasonal flu vaccine with thimerosal as well. Searching for that led me here.. I just decided last night to get the vaccines when the clinics reopen in January. After searching and reading and asking and not getting enough answers I'm still going ahead with it although I've never taken the seasonal flu and never gotten sick but I'm planning on getting pregnant within a couple of months and just can't risk it. Better be with immunity than without.

Any idea what brand of seasonal flu vaccines available in Toronto?

December 18, 2009 @ 10:41 AM

Anonymous

I may have bought your storyline, but since you put it that way, you are right it is a "Goddamn" (Damned by God) method of making life better, instead of just trusting in the God who you are placing below your so called science.

September 16, 2011 @ 2:17 PM