A Month Without Sugary Treats

calendarOn Halloween night, I think I consumed about 20 chocolate bars. They were those smaller sized bars for trick or treaters, but it was still 20. Both kids scored so much loot, I knew I'd be surrounded by chocolate for all of November.

I'm not particularly good at moderation. I know myself well enough that I'm aware of my weaknesses and limitations, and I figure I'd be good for about 10 sugary treats a day throughout the month of November. No, I don't believe I could stop at just one.

I decided on Halloween night to go the entire month of November without eating any candy, chocolate, cake, brownies, donuts or other sugary treats. It's been ten days, and my pledge is in tact. In fact, I'm surprised at how easy it's been, despite being surrounded by Halloween snacks at home and work.

You see, although I'm not particularly good at moderation, I kick ass at cold turkey tests of will power. Once I hit the switch, sugary treats were dead to me.

elvis

How confident were you really if you waited until November 10th to tell us of this pledge?

November 10, 2009 @ 6:10 PM

True, I didn't want to make a big deal of it, in case I changed my mind after a couple of days, but waiting ten days was mainly a complete accident.

November 10, 2009 @ 6:32 PM

Race_Coach

Does the guy talking in the link every shut up and get to the point? I couldn't wait 'till the end. I had to break away to chow down on a handful of Halloween candy.

November 10, 2009 @ 7:47 PM

Steve

I can't wait until December 10th when Mike posts an item called I Went Into Diabetic Shock Today.

Good luck my friend, you're made of stronger stuff than I.

November 10, 2009 @ 8:26 PM

Buffaloboymike

Does this include carbonated beverages and sweetened breakfast cereals? What about syrup on pancakes? All terrible forms of sugar unless its honey or pure maple syrup then its not awful

November 10, 2009 @ 9:56 PM

Good questions Buffaloboymike.

Yes, this includes carbonated beverages and sweetened breakfast cereals.

I have allowed myself to put a little sugar in my coffee. And, if I were out to brunch, I'd still put a little syrup on my french toast.

November 11, 2009 @ 7:59 AM

Jessie

Good work so far! You'll be surprised how much sweeter everything tastes once you go a few weeks (or longer).I rarely eat sugar; maybe one or two candy bars every quarter. But, they're intensely sweet to the point of reminding me why I don't add sugar to anything anymore. Beyond that, I'm sugar sensitive.

Good luck sticking to it! More power to you!

November 12, 2009 @ 2:58 PM