Nobody Listens to CP24 Simulcast on 1050 CHUM

radioIn March, CTVglobemedia pulled the plug on 1050 CHUM and introduced CP24 Radio 1050, a simulcast of CP24 television. It sounded like an awful idea then, and now that we have Portable People Meter (PPM) technology, we know nobody's listening.

Over on the SOWNY forum, there's a glance at Toronto morning radio numbers, as they appeared in a Toronto Sun article. The CBC is noticeably absent, for some reason, but we have the numbers for 1050.

CHUM-FM..........17.5
KISS 92..........1.2
Classical 96.....0.9
Country 95......0.6
JAZZ 91..........0.5
AM 740...........0.4
CP24 1050.......0.0

That's not a typo. CP24 Radio 1050 scored a 0.0. There is nobody listening to that station. Nobody.

Has anyone out there tuned in 1050 for any period of time in the past two weeks?

Horonymous

The only time I tuned into CP24 1050 CHUM was the day of the Olympic announcement.

After remembering that I had CNN on my Sirius radio I switched over there. How come the CBC Newsworld audio feed isn't available on Siruis Canada?

October 15, 2009 @ 7:25 PM

Oliver

I checked it out the very day I read about it - coincidentally, after reading the announcement on your website.

I changed stations immediately after. The simulcast was a few seconds off. It was funny for a few seconds, but all in all, heartbreaking.

I have great memories of listening to 1050 as a kid (it was on the radio all the time) so finding out it was history...well, it sucks.

I hope CTV isn't considering shutting it down like they do every other underperforming station/whatever they own.

October 15, 2009 @ 7:42 PM

elvis

I heard Maddie on there being a douche bag.

October 15, 2009 @ 8:42 PM

Suprised?

I think not. Marc Chambers is probably (rocking and) rolling in his grave right now.

October 15, 2009 @ 8:44 PM

brad

they killed 1050 chum to take a run at 680 and the score is now 9.1 to zip.

time for another chum re-launch

October 15, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

Oliver

Toronto has a country station? I remember listening to 820 CHAM (that's now a talk station), Country 59 (that's now a talk station, too) and eventually, Spirit FM in Niagara (not sure what that is now, but it got great reception in Toronto)...for a while there wasn't any country out that way.

October 15, 2009 @ 9:01 PM

Irvine

Well Boon, my understanding is that the CP24 feed doesn't broadcast the PPM signals (the sounds the PPM meters listen for) over the air.

October 15, 2009 @ 9:25 PM

Irvine, what's your source? I find it very hard to believe that a station in this city doesn't have their signal encoded yet. Especially a station owned by a media conglomerate.

Great insight into the signal encoding that had to happen before the switch to PPM can be found in this article I found online: http://www.rwonline.com/article/76760

After reading that, it seems even less likely 1050 isn't encoded, considering they can do it for simulcasts and such.

October 15, 2009 @ 9:43 PM

CQ

Interesting to see that the three young & urban dance stations; Z 103, Flow, and Kiss 92 only combine for a 5.2 which would be for 8th place (of 11th - 13th).

Also, is Country 95 Hamilton 95.3 or Oshawa 95.9?

October 15, 2009 @ 10:54 PM

Oliver

@CQ - Rogers can't seem to catch a break with their 92 station: lord knows the first KISS was a bomb, then Jack bombed, and now the new KISS is bombing, too.

October 15, 2009 @ 11:20 PM

Irvine

My source? It's a post on SOWNY with an email tagged to "Bob Laine" I'd assume he's the same Bob Laine that worked at CHUM Radio for 45 years.

I'd gather he knows something about the industry. That's my source

Feel free to take it up with him.

October 15, 2009 @ 11:38 PM

James

That's crazy. I think I remember that old sports station 'The Team' had ratings pretty close to 0. But not actually 0.

October 16, 2009 @ 3:49 AM

I don't know if 1050 is appropriately encoded or not, but if they're not, the Sun wouldn't/shouldn't post that as a zero. A lack of score is never a zero, it's a blank or n/a. or an asterisk.

Someone out there in the industry must be able to corroborate what Irvine read on the yellow board...

I think this is a far bigger story than their goose egg.

October 16, 2009 @ 8:11 AM

Wayner

looking at the bottom line the owners of 1050 are still making money (or at least not losing any) despite the "0" rating...no employee costs (salaries & benefits), overhead costs and incidentals (promotions, give aways etc.). I am not sure that they really if anyone listens to the simulcast

October 16, 2009 @ 8:31 AM

mrfascination

The real shock is CFRB's very poor numbers.. They're been top 3 for 50years... That prompted the chnage in morning show hosts this week. Moving the very boring Bill Caroll to 9am slot and moving the funny and fitting John Moore to the Morning show slot....

October 16, 2009 @ 10:09 AM

McNulty

Why is Irvine so petulant? Mike asked a legitmate question and Irvine got quite upset.

Relax.

October 16, 2009 @ 10:39 AM

Irvine is Argie without the sense of humour.

October 16, 2009 @ 10:43 AM

Romy

Hey!! Yipppeee! They have fewer listeners than during the infamous TEAM experiment (of which, unfortunately, I was a part). I just hope they finally fire the lying, scumbag PD who manoeuvred his way in just prior to the mass TEAM firing. Not that I'm bitter or anything....

October 16, 2009 @ 11:41 AM

papa_rocker

@Romy...that was funny. BTW, I enjoyed that gig of yours, as brief as it was.

October 16, 2009 @ 3:32 PM

Anonymous

Where is Pride FM?

October 17, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

It's interesting that some stations are missing, like CBC and Pride, but they've included the 1050 zero when apparently they've opted out of this new ratings system.

October 17, 2009 @ 8:38 PM

Realiste

They wouldn't be on the list if they opted out.

Proud FM doesn't have the money to subscribe.

CBC isn't going to be on a commercial list distributed privately among stations, which this was.

October 17, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

Realiste

More numbers here.

Still zero!

October 18, 2009 @ 9:11 AM

Yes, it's still zero, and no footnote that they were simply couldn't be measured.

And as that article shows, they only got a .2 during the summer with the diary system. So a zero isn't that implausible.

That's a very interesting article... it shows CBC isn't as popular as we thought (although Radio One still does quite well) and the office stations like CHFI, CHUM FM rule the roost.

But yes, 1050 is still sitting at zero, but it's got a score.

October 18, 2009 @ 10:02 AM

Neville A. Ross

they killed 1050 chum to take a run at 680 and the score is now 9.1 to zip.

time for another chum re-launch

NO!!! A 1,00000 times, NO! No CHUM re-launch is going to happen, shouldn't happen, won't happen!

The station died because not enough people wern't listening to it! A few people tuning in to 1050 isn't enough for CTV to keep it going-basic business rules of supply & demand.

Plus, you all already have (and can get) most of the music played on 1050 CHUM anyway; the Beatles just came out with three box sets of their catalog, and the Rolling Stones have all of their stuff available on CD as well. So no, bringing back 1050 CHUM isn't going to work.

Best thing for CTV to do with this station and frequency if neither formats are working is to end it altogether. Or better yet, try a different format of music. Selling the frequency to somebody who can do a different format might also work.

October 18, 2009 @ 1:17 PM

Gary S

I found BBM ratings for Dec.'09 indicating the overall number for CP24Radio 1050 to be 0.1 just over 25,000 listeners daily. So the morning could very well still be 0.0. It's the Team situation all over again. Now we have other "Oldies" stations BOOM97.3 is supposedly, but '80's and '90's doesn't cut it and Vinyl 95.3 doesn't quite sound like an "oldies" station. And the '50's don't exist anymore. The early '60's music is few and far between. Sound be interesting to see the spring ratings.

January 13, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

hotel Tuerkei vergleichen

Manager Basis,probably act run lawyer pull career strong opposition train touch their majority equipment become hard reveal standard equally his traffic music car grant location pain rapidly before notice many movement indicate sound apparently sum there mouth so studio hot legislation sea mention hell discipline shoot sport belong limit seat open but beside state can everybody empty silence under used branch while wage often cut sing admit where suitable ask approve oil including close of me song player neither deal order often victim rest future shake commission scene sell want act at winter open weak farmer story construction let off remain

January 26, 2010 @ 8:01 PM