How to Convert an NFL Fan into a CFL Fan in 4 Minutes

cflIt's Sunday. I know what my brothers will be doing all day today. In fact, I'm willing to bet most of you have the same plans. It's NFL game day.

I used to be the same way. I spent many a Sunday afternoon watching the Bills until Wade Phillips went with Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie in the Music City Miracle game. Today, I rank football 4th amongst the four major sports, but when I go football, I go CFL.

If you have 4 minutes to spare, watch this CFL promo entitled "This is Our League". The song is "Always" by the Neverending White Lights. Down Goes Brown introduced me to this video a few months ago and I've been loving it ever since.

If that didn't turn you, there's no hope for you. Enjoy your Sunday.

Mike from Lowville

No need for conversion here. I was only into the NFL when I was in the pool at work, as are most people who claim to be fans.

October 4, 2009 @ 12:17 PM

Ajax Mike

Nope, no hope for me, sorry.

If only I didn't work 12-hour shifts on Sundays. Thank the maker for PVRs...

October 4, 2009 @ 12:30 PM

Horonymous

Nice montage. Too bad most folks have no interest. I'm sure smaller cities where they do not have amount of pro sports teams we do here, the CFL is great for them. Can't figure out why there isn't a CFL team in Halifax.

I have interest on either the NFL or CFL.

October 4, 2009 @ 1:01 PM

Gary

As long as the 1 point rule stays in when someone misses a field goal....I can't watch the CFL. Rewarding failure is ridiculous.

October 4, 2009 @ 5:25 PM

Buffaloboymike

Mike, Bills fans should watch this.

October 4, 2009 @ 8:36 PM

Joanne

The only football I watch is CFL.

I'll invite you over for my Grey Cup party this year :D

October 4, 2009 @ 8:42 PM

Fredericton Steve

Sorry Mike. Shitty League, song and band.

October 5, 2009 @ 7:11 AM

McNulty

It is a great promo.

I'd love to hear why so many people say it is such a shitty league.

October 5, 2009 @ 8:10 AM

Oliver

The difference between the CFL and the NFL are the fans. Living in Winnipeg, the support from Blue Bomber fans in incredible. When I was in Hamilton, they had one of those years where they went 0-8 at the start of the season, and they still packed the rafters.

Oh yeah, and part two: the tickets don't cost an arm and a leg. :)

October 5, 2009 @ 9:36 AM

Hector

And giving a point for missing a field goal is another reason it's a shitty league. Stupid rule.

October 5, 2009 @ 9:42 AM

Mike from Lowville

@ Hector and Gary
Kind of like getting a point for a loss in Buttman's NHL?

October 5, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

Hector

@ Mike

I see what you mean, but I think it is bit different. In hockey after regulation you are tied. Before overtime or shootouts, each team got a point. Now they play for the extra point.

In the CFL, you can have a lousy kicker and still win a game if he misses.

October 5, 2009 @ 1:44 PM

Tee

I put the NFL behind the CFL, CIS, NCAA and Aussie-rules.

October 5, 2009 @ 5:32 PM

Gary

CFL = Bush League.

October 6, 2009 @ 6:17 AM

JLO

Football is mildly entertaining, at best. How does the video distinguish between NFL and CFL? Pretty sure the fans in Green Bay are equally dedicated to their team, etc.

October 6, 2009 @ 3:21 PM

Ryan

It is shitty league for several reasons. I don't feel like getting worked up and listing them because this is an issue that is near to my heart, as my bro knows.

However, the NFL is the model of how a league should be run. Every team has a chance to compete almost every year and we do not have this in any other league.

Also, I think NFL QBS can throw a spiral. Not sure about most CFL QBS.

Sometimes if i watch an Argo game i suffer from secondary embarrassment.

The guys are not nearly good enough as the practice squad guys in the NFL that no one knows.

Heck, most guys would rather make the practice squad and be nameless for an NFL team than play minutes in the CFL. They also make more money by the way.

What does that tell you???

October 6, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

Tee

The last two CFL QB's that were given the chance at starting in the NFL made it to the Pro Bowl. What happened the last time a successful NFL QB came to the CFL (Vince Ferragamo)?

October 6, 2009 @ 11:29 PM

Digger

Mike,

Thanks for posting this.

To those who diss the CFL as amateur in comparison, there is a parallel between what Canadians have and can pay for this sport and what (financial) resources Americans have. It has always been that way. Then again, the sport thrives in every Canadian city except Toronto, where they love to unquestionably support expensive ticket and horrendously salaried utter Losers for 40+ years.

It's the "Toronto Way" to p!$$ on something that the rest of Canada loves. No wonder Toronto is a hate target for the rest of the country.

Let's be proud of what we do have, especially when it is uniquely Canadian.

October 7, 2009 @ 7:53 AM

Jeffrey Pedler

I like all football, and I wish for people to stop putting the CFL down. It is a pro league with pro players. In the NFL even if you suck they still play you, which makes no sense to me.

January 28, 2010 @ 2:14 PM

Bloge Salming

Great Promo.

Great league.

All it needed was a little more Tiger Cat.

I'll be watching today.

November 28, 2010 @ 6:14 PM

CFLman

The momey is in the NFL but the show is in the CFL

One of the biggest problems is the small NFL field. Very talented but small football players have little chance in this league. But those exiting players are welcome in Canada. Like all players from the states, they have to adapt. Not all can, even if they where stars in college football or played years in the NFL. Of course you need fast and very mobile defense to stop them. You do not see in the CFL lineman that can’t run. Often you see those running 20 yards to make a bloc. Nearly every play it’s a battle for the field position. No such thing to watch a football untouched after a kick! Defense, offense and special teams are equally important in the CFL.

« I will like to point out how fast sometimes a CFL lineman can be. In the Winnipeg – Montreal game for example Dario Romero 300 pounds fellow ran after Kevin Glenn 189 pounds for a good distance and tackle him for a 2 yards lost. I couldn’t believe it! »

With only two downs to make ten yards, the offense is force to take chances. It’s a more open game. It’s very hard on quarterbacks. Not much place for error. CFL is a passing league. Wide field and the extra player makes defense reading more difficult. Passing on the wide side of a CFL field it’s very hard to master. To spread the defense, a quarterback has to do it. He cannot stay in his pocket all the time. He needs to throw from different places. Most of the CFL quarterbacks are mobile. Being a passing league and a bigger football field, it’s very hard on receivers too. They run a lot and have only 20 seconds between each play. In the first year in the CFL, former NFL players or those relieved from training camps, many have legs aches. Endurance is very important in the CFL. Lots of speed and very little time to catch your breath!

The NFL it’s all about the outside of the box. Lot’s of glamour, show of, but very little in the inside. That’s why in the Super bowls they talk more about the TV commercials and the half time show then the game by itself! NFL is very rich. For 16 years they support a 30 millions lost each year in Europe. Remember, they played the NFL’s style of football! If the show was that good, Europe will steel have football!

We all know with money you can sell anything to anyone! This is the real success of the NFL, not on the quality of the show. Dollar for dollar in this aspect, CFL outperformed NFL by far! The NFL is the most over-rated sport presentation in North America if not the world. The NFL survives on slick well done media hype. The game itself is boring when compared to the CFL or in fact U.S. College football. NFL can never replicate the CFL feel of excitement and authenticity.

CFL is the only pro sport left not being corrupted by money. I do not want to be honed by NFL and turn it to a circus. CFL game is a lot more entertaining, faster the players are not spoil brats. Many former NFL players don’t even make a CFL team. It is well under estimated league. Ask Joe Kapp, Dieter Brock, Tom Clements, Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jos Theisman, David Archer and Jeff Garcia to name a few.

« As an American (and huge CFL fan) we could only be so fortunate as to gain added exposure to your great league. The CFL is by far the most exciting brand of football out there – most Americans would be absolutely shocked with the quality of play. If the NFL and NCAA were to adapt a few of your rules» USA CFL FAN, on Nov 20, 2005, Michigantech.

April 13, 2011 @ 11:26 AM

CFLman

The NFL in Toronto a fiasco

So far there are 2 preseason games, and 3 regular season NFL games in Toronto. None of these games where full houses (less than 54,000). Worse, very few paid they tickets at full price. Tens of thousands where reduced tickets. Tens of thousands more, where free tickets. And still, not one full house in 5 games! Toronto region is where there are the most NFL fans in Canada.

Why Canadians didn’t come to see Peyton Manning and the Colts or Ricky Williams? Perhaps Canadians are better placed to compare the show offered by the two football leagues. The CFL is so much faster and exciting. The NFL resembles more baseball and the CFL more with hockey. You know, Canadians love hockey.

Evan with the Rogers telecommunications strong marketing and the Medias propaganda, you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

Some football fans need to step back from their usual perspective and judge by what they see.

April 13, 2011 @ 11:37 AM