Surveillance Footage of Michael Bryant's Recklessness Enraging Cyclist Sheppard

VideoThere's been quite the discussion in the comments since I first wrote about Darcy Allan Sheppard's death. I got an email from Donald Wiedman who wanted me to review the surveillance footage from Bloor street that fateful day.

Please take a look at the below YouTube video (surveillance camera footage) showing what happened exactly – at Bay & Bloor in Toronto - between cyclist Darcy Allan Sheppard and motorist Michael Bryant. The clips appeared on City TV hours after the accident, yet the media continues to imply Sheppard chased the car down on foot in a rage after a minor collision.

In the footage, Bryant first uses the car to intimidate Sheppard. Then strikes him and pushes him ten feet. Bryant then puts it in Reverse then Drive and guns it past Sheppard. As the cyclist struggles to get up, he grabs the passing car mirror to try to keep the car at the scene.

Not quite the minor collision we've been hearing about, is it?

Argie

Mike - Give it a rest will ya? This drunk brought his death on himself - Bryant didn't cause it.

September 14, 2009 @ 1:14 PM

Andrew (needs a more distinct name)

Thank you, Argie. Your unbaised opinion on this is wll thought out and well reseached to provide such a great verdict.

September 14, 2009 @ 1:50 PM

Argie

Andrew - My post was a little heavy handed but was just in response to Mike's whining about the incident. My message was 'enough already'.

Like I wrote when this first happened, I wasn't there but by most witnesses accounts, buddy cyclist was hammered, jumped on Bryant's car after the 'collission' and tried to assault him. What was Bryant supposed to do? What would you do?

P.S. I love how they include a plea for people to donate to buddy's 4 children's memorial fund. He never supported them but we're supposed to now that he's dead.

September 14, 2009 @ 2:07 PM

Andrew (needs a more distinct name)

I have no idea what took place. I don't rely on these "eyewintess" accounts since they have not been properly vetted and can be planted by either side.

The video looks damning but I honestly couldn't tell what was going on.

I think both parties are at fault here.

Regardless of people saying "I would have done the same thing" that doesn't make it legal. If someone hurt my children I would probably kill them. That doesn't mean I shouldn't face legal action. Let a jury decide.

September 14, 2009 @ 3:21 PM

Trish

How do we know the video isn't doctored? It looks pretty rough to me. And without the crucial element of sound I wouldn't exactly call it a break in the case. Here are the facts, many of which aren't on the video. The cyclist was angry and drinking, having been thrown out of his apartment by police at the girlfriend's request (not the first time). Still angry, he was bumped by the driver, causing him to lose it, mount the car on the driver side, grab the wheel and force the driver into the other lane.

To quote Argie "What would you do?"

September 14, 2009 @ 4:29 PM

Vinny

Bryant was the angry and very aggressive lawyer, and nothing would get in his way. This is a man who imposed a law to seize vehicles for speeding. He brutally punished Sheppard. The cyclist was drunk and for his stupidity, I'm not shedding tears, but his family didn't deserve that. At the end of the day, Bryant is probably guilty on a few counts.

Thankfully, I never did something as damn stupd in my car. We could have an aggressive side that does reckless things when confronted.

September 15, 2009 @ 2:43 AM

Anon E Mouse

I hate it when people "whine" about the dead. It's so ... selfish. Really - we've spent 10 minutes thinking about this --- "enough already".

September 15, 2009 @ 12:08 PM

tim

hmmm...is there any actually confirmation that Sheppard was drunk???

He seemed quite in control of his bike in the video.

Trish...you seem a bit confused and really misguided. What would you do if you stopped at a red light and a car gun it at you and rammed you, tossing you 10 feet off your bike.

What did Sheppard do to provoke Bryant? and if you where rammed from behind just as a light turns green, what would you do?

Likely turn a say something to the driver...expect oh wait, the driver is trying to flee the scene.

You absolutely cannot say that Bryant didn't make a huge mistake and essentially attack Bryant...even in your statement you say that Bryant rammed (bumped...just a gentle bumpt throwing him 10 feet) Sheppard, before Sheppard even did anything....

September 16, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

weBoyo

"but his family didn't deserve that".
I didnt realize he had a family; whose taking care of his wife and children now?

September 16, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

EB

Trish, the only "facts" I see ARE in the video. The rest of the "facts" you spewed are just hearsay. Did you watch the video? Sheppard was not only "bumped" but knocked down and pushed several feet by a car. He had every right to be furious. What's more, the video clearly shows Bryant attempting to speed away after the collision, which is HIT AND RUN.

September 18, 2009 @ 12:06 PM

Natasha

Sheppard had been drinking earlier and police had been called: Michael Bryant's deadly duel.

And if you read the witness accounts (same link), Sheppard got up after being hit and slammed his bag down on the hood of Bryant's car. The two argued, Bryant started to leave, and "Sheppard chased the car on foot".

Sheppard is responsible for his own death. He chased the car and grabbed on. Had he not done that, he would still be alive. The tragedy is that he was so blind with rage, he couldn't see the stupidity in his actions.

And Sheppard had a history of violent behaviour: Darcy Allan Sheppard "wanted man" in Edmonton. "Edmonton police warned seven years ago that Sheppard had a history of violence and should not be approached."

I have a friend who was a victim of road rage; she was in the hospital for quite some time and off work even longer.

If someone ran after my car in a rage and grabbed hold like Sheppard did, I would do whatever was necessary to get away from him too.

September 18, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

Anonymous

wow sad to hear the comments, say nothing plaese , i man was killled his family is lost , i knew al , ur gross to speak as u do , without having a clue to what happened

September 19, 2009 @ 1:42 AM

Truth is...

fight or not ..only one persons foot was on the brake only one persons foot was on the gas bryant's his actions clearly killed the cyclist. a thousand other choices could have been made ie don't argue with strangers ,don't hit cyclists ,shut up,leave scene ,call police ,put up windows,put up roof ,leave car , instead he acted with aggression and a powerfull sports car was the weapon he has not a scratch on him and the mutilated cyclists is scraped off the road and made out to be the drunken instagator he and his PR firm should bolth be in jail !

September 22, 2009 @ 2:55 PM

Watch dog

MAN one can sure tell what comments are coming from Bryant's PR firm. MY first phone call would have been to the VICTIM's family not a PR firm.

Bryant kills the poor guy and then hires a company to really finish off the job.

I sincerely hope he does time for his crime.

January 13, 2010 @ 4:14 AM

BB

In many people's minds, a drunk, violent man can attack as many motorists as he pleases without any motorist taking any action against him. I disagree. Darcy Sheppard didn't count on a driver panicking and speeding away while Darcy tried to climb into his car and attack Bryant and his wife. It was sad and tragic but Darcy Sheppard is ENTIRELY to blame for his own death. A lifetime of bad choices, violent behaviour and addiction finally caught up to him. The victim here was Bryant and his wife, not Darcy Sheppard, although he paid the ultimate price for his own misdeeds.

February 2, 2014 @ 12:31 PM