Ron James Is Not Funny

ron jamesDuring the first intermission of tonight's pre-season Leaf game, I popped over to Canadian Thinker and read Fred's thoughts on comedian Ron James.

Fred doesn't think Ron James is funny. I agree 100% with Fred. I've never found Ron James to be the least bit funny, and after I saw him live in 2004 during a taping of the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, I wrote the following:

Mike Myers slipped into his "Scarborough accent" more than once and Ron James did his whole schtick in Newfie. And who the hell says Ron James is one of our funniest comedians? I can name at least 25 funnier Canadian comedians. I don't think I laughed out loud once during his entire set.

As Fred pointed out, CBC Television is replacing the unfunny Royal Canadian Air Farce with the unfunny Ron James. It's as if the CBC is living in some bizarro world where the goal of prime time comedy is to induce boredom and annoy the viewer.

For a country that has produced more genuinely funny people per capita than any other nation, this is shameful.

East Coast Dave

He is funny. This country produces great stand up comedians but when they try to script them into being funny it just doesn't work(see Russell Peters @ Junos)

Mike, I am curious to see what your comedic line up on a Friday night on the CBC would look like?

Come to think of it, why the hell would you break away from the Leafs game to see what Freddie thinks?

September 25, 2009 @ 10:41 PM

Toronto Mike

Funnier Canadian Comedians than Ron James

Norm Macdonald
Jeremy Hotz
Russell Peters
Seán Cullen
Harland Williams
All Kids in the Hall members
Almost all Canadians from SCTV
Steve Smith
Me

September 25, 2009 @ 11:00 PM

Fredericton Steve

Those guys are all doing a different scene than Ron James though. Ron is small town humor, which may not play over in the cities but does well elsewhere.

September 25, 2009 @ 11:07 PM

Irvine

Bigger kiss asses to Fred Patterson than Toronto Mike

- nobody.

September 26, 2009 @ 1:45 AM

Oliver (a/k/a Dizzy)

I still don't understand why they killed of the Air Farce. Why couldn't they have gotten rid of 22 Minutes?

With the addition of Holmes, Lauzon and co, the series had gotten a great shot in the arm and could have lasted long after Abbot, Ferguson and Goy retired.

Oh well.

September 26, 2009 @ 2:14 AM

Daniel

Mike, you are right.

Frankly, I think Canadian TV in general is embarrassing. Some kind of shift in philosophy is needed in their programming decisions. And I work in TV.

September 26, 2009 @ 3:10 AM

Toronto Mike

Grow up, Irvine.

I'm agreeing with something Fred wrote, not kissing his ass.

September 26, 2009 @ 8:41 AM

Karl Parsons

I had no idea who you were talking about by just the name, but when I read the post and they way you described him I had a face in my head and thought, he must be referring to "that guy". Sure enough I click on the Fred link to check and yes, it's that guy, the most unfunny guy I've ever seen doing stand up. Horrible horrible comedian... Just horrible.

September 28, 2009 @ 9:13 AM

Tara

I agree...anti-funny. I can't even stand to watch the CBC commercials...I can't imagine having to sit through an actual show.

September 28, 2009 @ 11:36 AM

Roxy

Ron James is not funny! Not one bit. His work is boring, old fashioned, dry and unoriginal!
Then again, I guess it comes down to opinion. I grew up with hard core British Comedy. Ron's comedy is out of date and is safe and friendly to show on tv. The CBC could have done better though!

November 19, 2009 @ 6:45 PM

Watch Boosh

I'm not sure if I agree with everything written but this was definitely informative and well-written.

January 9, 2010 @ 2:36 PM

AvidAppreciator

Not funny. Who the hell is Ron James anyway? I don't agree with the small town humour comment. I grew up in a small town in a rural area and this guy has no interesting, original anecdotes from this century. CBC plays it safe, and those old farts at the CRTC must just *love* this safe, PC schlock. He might get a vote if I though nasally, whining, Newfie windjing was hip. Totally embarrassing. This is why *nearly* all great Canadian comedic talent finds income south of the border where they keep it real. Except Rick Mercer. He's the only reason I EVER tune into CBC.

November 23, 2010 @ 11:15 PM

Jeff

I think he is funny. But he's an asshole to staff and crew at live venues. I've worked with RockStars that have way more respect and kindness. He's a Dick.

December 20, 2010 @ 2:15 PM

Greg

I personally find Ron James funny. That being said, once you've watched routine, you've seen them all. He may not be everyones taste in comedy, but I sit down to watch a comedian and I'm ready to laugh; if I were to go to Russel Peters ready to critisize, I would come up with a bunch of reasons he's not funny. In response to Toronto Mike though, Harland Williams is very un-funny to me; he was the first comedian I've ever changed channels on in the middle of a routine.

Different strokes for different folks!

December 26, 2010 @ 11:04 AM

JohnFromPEI

Toronto Mike:

To Toronto Mile and all the other arseholes that said Ron James is a Newfie, he isn't! He is from Cape Breton but I guess you mainlander pricks wouldn't have a fucking clue.

Toronto isn't the centre of the universe, so just because you don't find his Maritime humour funny doesn't mean that he is unfunny!

February 11, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

DaveFromNL

I'm a Newfoundlander and I find Ron James to be the most unfunny comedian I've ever seen. How the hell did this guy get his own show.
BTW, his accent is a nasally, Cape Breton whine. It is assuredly not a NFLD brogue. I imagine it all sounds the same to you Upper Canadians. Ooot and aboot, eh!

June 18, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

zortation

I fucking hate this guy. You can tell that he writes all his own material because nobody else out there could write such obtuse, mindnumingly pointless garbage even if you paid them a Jay Leno writer's salary.

July 11, 2014 @ 8:56 PM

Anonymous

Ron James = not funny

March 17, 2016 @ 2:56 AM

Dee Dee

Stop calling him a Newfie. He is not and is not from Newfoundland and is not at all funny. He also pulled the "don't you KNOW who I AM?' with someone at work. Hilariously. she didn't.

March 31, 2019 @ 8:35 PM