Nazem Kadri: Let the Kid Stay

leafsOn September 12, I threw my two cents at the Leafs' 2009 Training Camp roster. I openly bet Nazem Kadri would make this team.

I've watched all five Maple Leafs preseason games. We've won the last four, which makes watching them much more fun. But I don't watch to see the Leafs win, I watch to see how the kids play. And three of them, Nazem Kadri, Tyler Bozak and Viktor Stalberg, have looked pretty special.

You could tell during last year's preseason that Luke Schenn would make this team. He deserved to. Similarly, Nazem Kadri deserves to be playing for the Leafs come October 1. The Leafs are sadly lacking offensive skill and goal scorers, and Kadri has shown a gifted nose for the net. Kadri is precisely the kind of player this team needs, and we need him now.

I'm aware of the contract ramifications if Kadri plays the first 10 games for the Leafs, but I sincerely hope Ron Wilson gives him a fair nine-game run before sending him back to junior.

With Kadri, Bozak and Stalberg, the future suddenly looks a great deal brighter. Here's Kadri's sick shootout goal last night.

brian

up to the second replay, i still thought he was going backhand. i caught his 3rd period goal on nhl network and you are right, he went for the net at the right time. looks good.

September 23, 2009 @ 10:52 AM

elvis

We're down one keeper as of today - Kolzig retires. We hardly knew you!

September 23, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

Toronto Mike

He has fulfilled the dream of all Canadian boys and has retired as a Toronto Maple Leaf.

September 23, 2009 @ 12:12 PM

Fredericton Steve

He deserves a nine game tryout but I still think he goes back to JR. I'd like to see him put on a few pounds and some strength.

September 23, 2009 @ 12:42 PM

LEW

"He has fulfilled the dream of all Canadian boys and has retired as a Toronto Maple Leaf"
oh Mike - please look to your old Captain - Mats, retiring and entering the Hall of Fame as a Canuck - how about my personal favourite Leaf, Davey Keon, who wouldn't step in the Gardens, or how about the way they disposed of my Mom's favourite, Daryl Sittler, who stripped the C from his jersey.....I think it's more like, now I'm a Leaf, I might as well retire, because there is no hope for a cup, let alone being treated with respect for the hard work and effort I put into my job......just an All Canadian point of view.

September 23, 2009 @ 4:26 PM

Ryan

I disagree. If he makes the team he is a 3rd or 4th line player. Kadri is not built to be a 3rd or 4th line player. Both these lines will be checking/grunt lines and will get limited ice time.

He has to play somewhere doing what he does best. If it is back in the AHL than so be it... because when he plays full time as a Leaf, he has to be confident!! Because it's possible that element will be tested, and tested often.

Too many players brought up too early in careers. Talent is there but talent is not all the league is about.

Love this kid, and want to treat him with gloves on.

September 23, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

RYan

What? I killed the convo. I was waiting on feedback. Oh well, Kadri and Kessel in 2010. That's what matters!!

September 24, 2009 @ 5:55 PM

Toronto Mike

Ryan, just one thing... if he doesn't make the Leafs, he won't be a Marlie. He'll go back to the OHL with the London Knights.

Which is too bad, b/c I go to Marlie games.

September 26, 2009 @ 9:30 AM

Dave

Toronto is lucky to have the option of sending Kadri back to the Knights. I think of Boston a few years back when they drafted Joe Thornton - They printed his face on the season tickets!!! The Bruins didn't dare send him back to junior - as a result -- it took him years to become a star - and not for Boston. Same thing happened with Daigle --- whoe??? Ya, remember the Daigle Sweepstakes???" The Leafs have excellent depth this year and can send Kadri back to Junior knowing it is a move for the future. Having too many kids in the lineup will hurt down the stretch. Be thankful for utility guys like Ian White and Jamal Mayers who will provide the experience.

September 28, 2009 @ 4:18 PM

Dave

September 28, 2009 @ 4:19 PM

Yes, when I step back and take a deep breath, this is clearly the right decision.

Let the kid dominate in the OHL, have a great juniors tourney and he can make next year's team.

September 28, 2009 @ 4:39 PM