Henderson Made a Wild Stab For It and Fell

Henderson Scores For Canada37 years ago today, on September 28, 1972, "The Goal" was scored. There was only 34 seconds left in the eighth and final game of the Summit Series, and only a win would allow Canada to lay claim to victory in the series against the USSR. 32 years ago today, Paul Henderson scored for Canada.

Here's what Foster Hewitt said as it happened.

Cournoyer has it on that wing. Here's a shot - Henderson made a wild stab for it and fell. Here's another shot! Right in front - THEY SCORE!!! Henderson has scored for Canada!

Foster Hewitt

Here's what Gord Downie said in "Fireworks".

If there's a goal that everyone remembers it was back in ol' 72. We all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger, and all I remember was sitting beside you.

Gord Downie

Excuse the quality of this video, but it's surprisingly hard to find "The Goal" on YouTube.

37 years ago today...

Race_Coach

Now he's has his own ministry. Quite a change from hockey.

September 28, 2009 @ 6:32 PM

McNulty

One of the most overrated things in Canadian history.

It has no relevance today. I honestly hate hearing about it every freaking year.

Why is this goal important to you, Mike? Like myself, you weren't even born. I am not trying to be petulant but the amount of discussion this goal gets is astounding.

September 29, 2009 @ 8:07 AM

Mike from Lowville

Well McNulty, let me explain the relevance of today and of yesterday. It was a time, before you were born when Canadians had a fair amount of pride about themselves, their country and their hockey. By the looks of your post, if it didn't happen while you were alive then, it doesn't count. I watched it live....at work! That's right, at work! The boss brought a TV in the tool and die place I worked at and payed us to watch! That's how important that game was. That's why that goal was so big. Sorry you missed it, wish you were there. To this day, when I watch that footage, I well up. I am Canadian!

September 29, 2009 @ 8:32 AM

McNulty, I love hockey. I love my Leafs and I love Team Canada hockey. Growing up, I always heard about The Goal, and in 1987, our generation got our own goal.

The clincher for me was a documentary I watched called Summit on Ice. This thing was amazing. It was like I was there.

I wasn't born for a lot of things that resonate with me. I missed Barilko's entire life, I missed Martin Luther King's speech, I missed the assassination of JFK, I missed the first man on the moon and I missed The Goal.

September 29, 2009 @ 8:50 AM

McNulty

Please don't compare the goal to the killing of a President and a turning point in race relations. I hope you're kidding.

And I don't equate my feelings of pride in my country to acheivements in sports. My pride swells when Canada is looked at for the wonderful place we are to live.

His goal means nothing to me. It was a hockey game. Be proud your team won but celebrating it 37 years after the fact seems just plain stupid.

September 29, 2009 @ 9:26 AM

I'm not comparing the goal to the killing of a president, just that they're moments that matter.

I suspect in 2022 we'll all be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Jays first World Series win. For better or for worse, sports matter to a whole lot of people, and Henderson's goal was the biggest goal in this country's most beloved sport.

It united this nation as much as anything since the last spike.

September 29, 2009 @ 9:44 AM

McNulty

Perhaps we will celebrate the 30th anniversary but we don't mention it every year.

And being from Southern Ontario it may resonate with this area far more than in Montreal or Edmonton. But I cannot be sure about that.

September 29, 2009 @ 10:09 AM

Oliver

The point is: we beat the Soviets. I wasnt' around back then, but I don't think I'm incorrect in assuming that the Russians were considered Evil Communists back then, so this was a huge victory for the West. Heck, if bullets weren't shot into the heart of Communism, at least pucks were.

Eh. I never met the man, but if anything, the hockey played back then was better than what's played now. Go Henderson Go!

September 29, 2009 @ 5:21 PM

elvis

Actually, I'd bet Mike does post that clip of Joe Carter at least once a year.

September 30, 2009 @ 12:53 PM

Kathy

I think for many of us, the goal ignited our patriotism for Canada. It's hard to explain what the political and emotional climate was like back then. It was the Cold War and it was not just a hockey game...it was our system against there's. The whole series took over Canada in a type of frenzy and the aftermath was also very intense. If Paul had run for PM he would have won hands down, lol. I am grateful my grade 7 teacher allowed us to listen to the end of the game on the radio so we were able to hear the Goal of the Century! Now it's the 40th anniversary and I don't know where the time has gone. My prayers are with Paul Henderson and his battle with cancer. I just bought his new memoir which looks interesting.

September 15, 2012 @ 9:50 AM