You Don't Mess with the Zohan Review

Movie ReviewYou Don't Mess with the Zohan: 4 out of 10.

I'm getting tired of mediocre comedies. This Adam Sandler flick might be the mediocre-est of them all.

I want my 113 minutes back.

you-don-t-mess-with-the-zohan-poster-1

Jim Wright

I have to say I totally agree. I watched this a few months ago and it was lame compared to a lot of Mr. Sandler's other work.

He does have talent, he just didn't show up with it for this movie.

Think you scored it a little higher than I might have.

August 17, 2009 @ 10:12 AM

Chemmy

"I'm getting tired of mediocre comedies."

That's exactly how I feel about comedies right now too. Right on.

August 17, 2009 @ 11:03 AM

Jill

I am almost always underwhelmed by comedies. Has me pondering.....what are some of you and your readers all time faves in that genre?

August 17, 2009 @ 11:16 AM

Dizzy

I rented this movie, and hated it. Even if downloaded it illegally, I'd request my bandwidth back.

@Jill - I like stoner comedies - Dude Where's My Car is one of my favorites.

On the flip side, anything with Seth Rogen, Judah Hill, and their usual group of morons is avoided.

August 17, 2009 @ 11:40 AM

Toronto Mike

Recent comedies I liked: Superbad and Knocked Up.

I laugh hysterically at tv shows Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

August 17, 2009 @ 11:48 AM

Fredericton Steve

I thought this movie was great.

Then again, seeing as I just saw a quote that Dude Where's My Car is someones favorite movie I shouldn't take their opinion to seriously.

As for my fave recent comedies:

Dewey Cox: Walk Hard
Observe and Report
Step Brothers

August 17, 2009 @ 4:08 PM

Sammi

@Fredericton Steve....wow...everything you listed is a piece of sh!t. I guess there is always an audience for crap.

August 17, 2009 @ 6:46 PM

Jill

After an afternoon of thought my top comedy picks of all time would be......Slapshot, Uncle Buck, 40 Year old virgin, Napoleon Dynamite, Naked Gun 1& 2, Swingers and Old school. Dramas such as a Tarantino films that are not considered comedies cause me to laugh and chuckle due to their intelligent, well written dialogue that comes off funny.

August 17, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

Fredericton Steve

@Sammi - I just responded so your post so I guess there really is an audience for crap.

Why don't you fill us in on what we should be watching?

August 18, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

Dizzy

Fredricton Steve - it's probably a good thing to mention that sometimes it's a good thing to turn off ones' brain when watching a comedy. There are some smart ones out there, but as a rule, I like to switch off when watching a movie.

Case in point with DWMC, Fast Times at Ridgemount High, both Harold and Kumar movies...stoner comedies are there for laughs, not intellectual value.

And I'll repay your compliment with one as well: If those are your faves, then your choice in movies is about the same as mine.

August 18, 2009 @ 3:17 PM

Fredericton Steve

I wouldn't say those were my faves of all time, but my faves of recent which by all accounts in this thread is has been a lackluster period in comedies.

And I do agree that the mind should be turned off when watching comedies. I just didn't think DWMC was funny. But, if we all agreed what would be the fun of life?

As for some of my all time favorites:

Dumb and Dumber
Up in Smoke
Don't be messing with south central while you're drinking your juice in the hood
Super Troopers