Toronto Zoo Ad Reminds Me Of Nikolai Volkoff

zoo adThere's an ad airing these days for Sharks at Stingray Bay at the Toronto Zoo. The ad features Russian submariners and concludes with the national anthem of the Soviet Union. Here's the ad, if you haven't seen it.

One note of that Soviet Union anthem and I'm a kid again watching WWF wrestling. In the mid-80s, Nikolai Volkoff, often teamed with The Iron Sheik, was a popular heel, a wrestler you loved to hate, and during a time when the Russians were the "evil empire", Volkoff would always open his matches by singing the Soviet Union national anthem. It was great theatre.

Here's footage of Nikolai Volkoff vs. Corporal Kirschner in a Peace Match. That was quite the feud back in the day. You can see Volkoff singing the Soviet national anthem at the 2:34 mark. I love how disgusted future governor Jesse Ventura seemed when Kirschner so rudely interrupted.

I thought it in 1986 and I still think it now: Corporal Kirschner folded like a cheap suit.

sinnacle

Remember going to Maple Leaf Gardens as a kid and when Corporal Kirschner came out he would flag the Canadian flag instead of the American flag which no one bought and quickly booed him.

August 11, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

Toronto Mike

I saw a couple of WWF events at Maple Leaf Gardens myself, but my favourite live WWF memory (which I should write about in more detail soon) was Hulkamania at Exhibition Stadium.

I still think Hulk got pinned by Mr. Wonderful. Here's my old scrapbook that shows the Star headline "Record 65,000 holler for Hulk".

August 11, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

Horonymous

Captain Ramius: Re-verify our range to target... one ping only.

Capt. Vasili Borodin: Captain, I - I - I just...

Captain Ramius: Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please.

Capt. Vasili Borodin: Aye, Captain.

August 11, 2009 @ 8:40 PM

Down Goes Brown

I know the tune to the Russian anthem because of Volkoff. Which really ruined international hockey for me.

Hack pa-tooie.

August 11, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

VegasGeoff

I was at that event at the old Ex, as well. The whole card was released on tape later titled "The Big Event", if I recall correctly.

August 12, 2009 @ 4:16 AM

VegasGeoff

Wikipedia entry for The Big Event.

August 12, 2009 @ 4:18 AM

Toronto Mike

That's funny, it was never called The Big Event when I was there. And my Star headline says 65,000 while Wikipedia says 74,000. Did they miss 9,000 people?

@Down Goes Brown
I felt the same way. And I used to get pissed when I'd hear the anthem during international hockey games or the Olympics and it would sound different from Volkoff.

August 12, 2009 @ 9:43 AM

Steve Kasan

Russia Number One!
Iran Number One!
America, PEWWW!!!

August 12, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

Bee Enochs

Hi there, nice site with good info. I really like coming back here often. There's only one thing that annoys me and that is the misfunctioning of comment posting. I usually get to 500 error page, and have to do the post twice.

February 2, 2010 @ 10:56 PM