The Best Single of the Decade: Arcade Fire's Wake Up

musicLast week, I posted my 200 favourite songs of the decade, thus far. Today, I'm going to reveal my favourite song of the decade. That would be Arcade Fire's Wake Up from their excellent Funeral album.

I first shared this song back in August 2005, calling it "my favourite cut on the disc" while promising it would "blow your mind". Admit it, I was right. I would later crown it my favourite song of 2005.

Today I crown it my favourite song of the decade. Here it is used masterfully in the new high def trailer for Where the Wild Things Are.

Steve

Best song of the decade?

Did you hear that sound?

I'm pretty sure it was the sound of music officially passing me bye.

August 8, 2009 @ 5:53 PM

Steve

Since I'm sure somebody will ask, I'm not sure what my pick would be. I do know however that it would not be this. I don't understand all the love for these guys.

August 8, 2009 @ 5:55 PM

Toronto Mike

Runners up:

Johnny Cash - Hurt
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
QOTSA - No One Knows
The Strokes - Hard To Explain
System of a Down - Chop Suey
White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Everyone is welcome to suggest a better single from this decade than Arcade Fire's Wake Up. Who's game?

August 8, 2009 @ 6:03 PM

Down Goes Brown

I think you could actually make a great case for "Hurt". I'm never sure how highly to rate it, since it's almost impossible to judge on its own merits. If Cash doesn't die a few weeks after the video comes out, is it still in the running? I'd think so, but we'll never know.

A few others I'd nominate:

Saul William: List of Demands
NIN: Me I'm Not
Neverending White Lights: Always
Outkast: Hey Ya (not sure how well this holds up)

I also think I like Intervention better than Wake Up... anyone with me?

August 8, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

Toronto Mike

I actually think Outkast's BOB should be considered. Hey Ya, as well.

I could never get into Neverending White Lights' Always - even saw them/him perform it live at the CASBY's last year.

Intervention is an excellent Arcade Fire single, but I'd put both Wake Up and Rebellion (Lies) ahead of it.

August 8, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

brad

Nice choice, but your a few months early.

August 8, 2009 @ 8:47 PM

Down Goes Brown

I think my experience with Always starts and ends with that CFL promo video they lent it to. Which was enough... it may be the greatest overly-dramatic sports montage song of all time.

August 8, 2009 @ 10:11 PM

Toronto Mike

Here's your promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1jCfg7Qxc

Yeah, that's definitely better. The shot of John Candy earns it bonus points.

It might be the greatest CFL promo in the history of the league.

August 8, 2009 @ 10:16 PM

Toronto Mike

I just watched it a 2nd time. It might be the greatest sports promo, period.

It's worthy of a post unto itself for accomplishing two miraculous feats:

1. It makes the CFL look cool
2. It makes Always sound decent

August 8, 2009 @ 10:27 PM

Down Goes Brown

OK, so just watched the CFL promo again.

My timeline with this song is this:
1. Saw the CFL video.
2. Stole^H^H^H^H^H Shared the song.

Now I watch the CFL version again and... well... what version of the song is that? Not only did they chop the hell out of it, but there's a "wow-oh-oh" part that isn't in the version I have. Where did that come from?

Anyways, I think I've sidetracked your post about music greatness into a discussion of CFL viral youtube videos, so... mission accomplished.

August 8, 2009 @ 10:41 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm proud to say I was at SkyDome to witness both Pinball's last run and Ricky Williams' first run. Sidetrack, appreciated.

And everyone knows Saturday nights in August are the best for good "song of the decade" debates. I think I just saw a tumbleweed roll by.

Oh wait, that wasn't a tumbleweed. That was Kyle Wellwood.

Ba-dum-ching.

August 8, 2009 @ 10:47 PM

Down Goes Brown

Fair enough. Although there is no wind strong enough to move Kyle Wellwood.

Let's leave it at this: you're selection for single of the year is not horrificly bad. And your use of the Wild Things trailer does not diminish the pick to an unfathomably excruciating extent.

I still say you're wrong. The best single of the year is, in fact, a song other than Wake Up.

Actual song TBD.

August 9, 2009 @ 1:15 AM

Steve

Pretty much all of your runner up choices are better than the winner. And there's definitely a case for throwing Hey Ya in there too.

August 9, 2009 @ 6:42 AM

Ajax Mike

I'm on board with you here Mike, even though I got on the Arcade Fire train a couple of years late. My close runner up has to be Time to Pretend though. Or is that too recent?

August 9, 2009 @ 11:41 AM

Toronto Mike

I think Time to Pretend has to be a candidate. It just missed my short list.

August 9, 2009 @ 11:48 AM

LEW

My favourite of the decade, so far, is Rick Rubin by Spank Rock.

August 10, 2009 @ 2:56 AM