My Call From Strombo

phoneLast night, I wrote about George Stroumboulopoulos' "new, independent FM". Earlier today, I had a direct message from Strombo on Twitter. He wanted a phone number he could reach me at.

I gave him my Blackberry number and went about my afternoon, which primarily consisted of picking up my son and taking him to his soccer match. On my way home, I heard Tom Cheek ordering Joe Carter to "touch 'em all". I had a phone call.

"Mike, it's George Stroumboulopoulos."

George had called to discuss his independent FM, but we ended up talking about a great deal more. We chatted about our mutual admiration for Humble and Fred, what CFNY meant to him, his love of radio, Martin Streek, and other things I won't write about here. He came across as a genuinely sweet guy and the convo was effortless.

With regards to The Strombo Show, he told me he pulled it from the Corus lineup. He said his schedule was too hectic so he pulled the plug.

As for independent FM, he emphasized that it's just a kernel of an idea at this point, and it's not yet a podcast, satellite or terrestrial radio show. Strombo is passionate about radio and definitely wants to continue his show, but he's not yet sure about the format or where it will happen. It is important to him, however, that he's able to play what he wants.

There's clearly a spirit to George's independent FM that sounds familiar. He promised to let me know when it's more than just an idea and I promised to promote it best I can.

I dig it when personalities I know from radio and/or television actually turn out to be good people. Thanks for the call, George.

Argie

*banging my head on my desk*

No more on George and/or CFNY, please!!! I said 'please'.

August 10, 2009 @ 9:20 PM

Toronto Mike

Well Argie, since you asked so nicely...

But I am sharing more Spirit of Radio clips throughout the next few weeks. You're just going to have to hold your nose and skip on by.

August 10, 2009 @ 9:34 PM

Mississauga Mike

Funny you mentioned Joe Carter too, interacted with him at a signing my cousin was helping with and Carter was such a nice guy! I was very happy to see that. Also met Molitor and Olerud (pics coming soon).

August 10, 2009 @ 10:09 PM

Irvine

The thing with Strombo is that he doesn't have a place in modern FM radio. Radio isn't interested in someone that engages the artist or the audience.

The other problem is that most of the music that reaches the airwaves of today's Alternative music is created by people that lack the intellect to actually say something intelligent. I'm not fan of a guy like Bono, but at least he's got some worldly sense about him. I mean fuck, the guy wrote a song about the Soviet Invasion of Poland (New Years Day). Like you'll hear something like that come from Nickelback or Billy Talentless. The only thing they know about Poland is that it's where those tall cans of beer come from.

Strombo has no place on Alternative Rock Radio. And that's not a diss against him.

August 10, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

Buffaloboymike

Im more than curious to see what Strombo is doing, keep us posted Mike...Argie, the beauty of visiting Mikes Site or mine is that if you don't want to read, you don't have to, but you must want to and do read considering that you take the time to post a comment, I couldnt imagine mindlessly posting a comment about a topic you havent read the initial post.
So Argie, you may not want to read anymore CFNY/ATrombo/Martin Streek Posts but others do.

August 10, 2009 @ 10:53 PM

CQ

I doubt if anything will happen here. This is our Toronto, 2009.

August 11, 2009 @ 12:04 AM

Argie

BB Mike - I'm not the only one who's tired of the Strombo love-in or endless posts on CFNY.

Its great that you're interested in Strombo's every move - I'm not.

August 11, 2009 @ 8:54 AM

Toronto Mike

This is first hand news not reported anywhere else. You won't read anywhere that The Strombo Show is done on Corus (they still have Strombo Show ads on the edge.ca site) or where George is taking the show.

:-P

August 11, 2009 @ 9:03 AM

Andrew (needs a more distinct name)

I like the news. I like Strombo. So I say, "Keep it coming!"

Not too mention I am insanely jealous that you get the calls.

August 11, 2009 @ 9:12 AM

james edgar

Thanks for the update Mike.
Very Cool you got a call. Stombo follows me on twitter and I was thriled by that.

Argie just don't read the posts. Mike owes us NOTHING. He can post what he wants nd some of us are interested.

August 11, 2009 @ 9:37 AM

Mike from Lowville

Keep doing what your doing Mike. Andrew,(my brothers name) I call him Android or Payed 4.

August 11, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

Jason Paris

Indeed, keep up the great work Mike!

It's your blog and blog what you like. Those that like what you like will follow (and there's many of us).

BTW, I work down the hall from The Hour's studio. Come September, I'll see if I can nab George for some more info on IndependentFM.

August 11, 2009 @ 12:06 PM

papa_rocker

As a 20+ years listener of CFNY, I'm still interested in hearing about what goes on behind the mic, even though it sucks when compared to what it used to represent. Strombo's show was a bit of what 'NY used to be. Let's see where he goes with this.

August 11, 2009 @ 1:13 PM

Allan

His radio show was lousy.
Bad, bad radio.
You've heard of TV shows being unwatchable.
His radio show was unlistenable.

Anyone here seriously want to tell me that that was good radio?
It was horrible.
It went nowhere and meant nothing.
That's why it was so easy to give up, no one was even noticing that it was still on the air.
He has more useful things to do?
Yeah, feed his cat.

Independent FM?
That's right, George, instead of admitting how pitiful your show was, begin dreaming of failing on an even grander scale.
Or wake up and accept that radio, which you think is so easy to do, is not for you.

Strangely, there's no description of Corus lying on the floor clutching Georg'e ankles as he walks out the door.
What does that tell you?

It tells you, George, that you shouldn't have skipped my class "How To Be Interesting On The Radio Instead Of Assuming That You Already Are"

August 11, 2009 @ 11:32 PM

Neville A. Ross

As I said before:

The best place for Strombo (and had he not committed suicide, Martin Streek) is satellite radio (Sirius and/or XM). Both could/can set up shows that were like their shows on The Edge, and get listeners that give a shit to listen to networks that give a shit (in terms of listening options) rather then be slaves to greedy fracking bastards obsessed with the bottom line. I hope that George considers this option.

Another option for Strombo is to consider starting up a low-power UHF TV station that would show music video of the bands that he likes. Although this would be competing with the new AUX TV channel starting up next month, it would give Strombo a real, physical media channel that he can broadcast with, one that would give him a forum to do what he does best, and with even more immediate results than just having to see it on a computer (and on an ordinary TV set with rabbit ears, for those of us that don't have cable!)

Of course, all of this does not make us all for get the main fact: we as consumers must call for the government to start anti-trust proceedings against most of these media giants.

August 11, 2009 @ 11:33 PM

brad

damn, strombo called you?!?! wtf?

here's a thought. toronto mike already puts out these humble and fred podcasts. what if he added strombo podcasts and created this adult cfny everybody wants. like a network of podcasts that have no rules and great personalities and tunes.

this could be the answer

August 12, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Neville A. Ross

this could be the answer

Podcasts are for those who have a computer and a MP3 player from Apple or any of the other companies. Not everybody has or wants a computer or an iPod, or can afford one. Radios/TV sets are cheaper than computers/MP3 players, and don't require as much set-up as computers/MP3 players do. That's why I said he should get a low-power UHF TV station set up, if he can afford it.

August 14, 2009 @ 6:41 PM

The Plane

Allan - you turn up on George posts a lot Do you love him? want him? admit it allan. you got a sweet on.

Allan? oh Allan?

September 13, 2009 @ 2:41 AM

Allan

need evidence that Strombo is more than a bit of a fake?

suddenly his schedule is no longer too hectic for a radio show ... on the CBC!

Did anyone really think he was telling the truth? the unvarnished truth?

October 6, 2009 @ 12:47 PM

steve

Allan, you're still doing this? I know the job market's rough, but it's been several years publicly hating, secretly loving George. Surely you've found something better to do.

October 7, 2009 @ 1:08 AM

PoonGirl

Allan has not found anything better to do. Neither have I.

August 11, 2010 @ 4:00 AM