John Hughes, Dead at 59

In MemoriumJohn Hughes was 59. He was the director of iconic coming-of-age movies "The Breakfast Club," "Sixteen Candles" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

If you're around my age, you really did come of age watching his flicks. Seriously, he was the guy in the 1980s. Here are my favourite John Hughes films, in order.

1. The Breakfast Club
  2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  3. Uncle Buck
  4. Sixteen Candles
  5. Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Here's a great scene from Uncle Buck featuring our very own John Candy.

And here's the trailer for the movie that defined a generation. No foolin', I'm still trying to grow my hair like Judd Nelson in this thing.

Ryan

Very sad news.

I'm 32 years old and like many people my age I grew up to his flicks.

Bueller? Bueller?

He had his formula and knew what he was good at. I'll probably make a point of watching a John Hughes film this weekend.

August 6, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

Burlington Andy

Wow. I am actually at an age where 59 seems young.

Bless you John Hughes, You gave me much at a young age,

Say hi to Martin when you get there, He will be a fan, I'm sure.

August 6, 2009 @ 11:06 PM

mertz

man this guy is one of my main people. almost everday of my life i've watched one of his films. i can't believe this really. rip john hughes. you impacted lots of people's lives.

August 7, 2009 @ 6:08 AM

Argie

By far the best director of comedies, ever.

Not sure why he stopped making films after 1990.

August 7, 2009 @ 10:09 AM

Steve Kasan

Such a shame.

Personally I thought his best accomplishment was Pretty In Pink. I also have a fond spot for Dutch.

John Hughes & Ed O'Neil, that's a tandem!

August 7, 2009 @ 12:43 PM

Toronto Mike

Pretty in Pink was exempt from this list. Hughes didn't direct it.

Here are John Hughes directed films.

# Curly Sue (1991)
# Uncle Buck (1989)
# She's Having a Baby (1988)
# Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
# Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
# Weird Science (1985)
# The Breakfast Club (1985)
# Sixteen Candles (1984)

August 7, 2009 @ 12:47 PM

Buffaloboymike

Weird Science theres one that I can watch time and time again, All of them classics

August 7, 2009 @ 12:53 PM

Ryan

She's Having a Baby is the only one i can say may not have been the best Hughes film.

The promo for the breakfast club was unreal.

It makes me want to watch it again but it also gives a lot of the movie away.

August 7, 2009 @ 5:27 PM

runescape gold

This sucks. I was always hoping he'd made a Terrance Malick/Stanley Kubrick type comeback, giving us another great teen comedy. Nobody else could write teen comedies like he could -- he made the characters real, not cliched, and the stories were timeless.
runescape money

August 8, 2009 @ 2:41 AM

brad

i think everyone still thinks john hughes directed pretty in pink.

it was actually howard deutch.

and duckie was gay !

August 8, 2009 @ 8:55 PM

Ryan

Is it only me who is disappointed in the 10 whopping comments thus far on Hughes death?

WOW, how quickly they are forgotten... if this happened in 1991 the world would be paying a tribute to him.

August 9, 2009 @ 3:20 PM

Toronto Mike

These are the dog days of summer. August is always when comments and unique visitors dip.

August 9, 2009 @ 3:25 PM