Colder Than Most People From Toronto

CN TowerCoors Light is running a localized marketing campaign in British Columbia poking fun at Torontonians. The billboard campaign proudly declares the beer is "Colder Than Most People From Toronto."

Here's the ad:

colderthanmostpeoplefromtoronto

I get that the rest of Canada is united in their dislike of Toronto. When that guy was touring the country to create the mediocre documentary Let's All Hate Toronto I wrote:

It's nice to see we evoke so much passion. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. The rest of Canada is anything but indifferent about Toronto, and I see that as a positive thing.

There's just one problem with Coors Light's current campaign. In this age of smart phones and social networking and blogs and Google, can an ad campaign truly stay local? How many Torontonians are going to see this billboard today?

Be careful what you put on that billboard, because it won't just be seen by the local Toronto-haters, and there are a helluva lotta beer drinkers here in the 416.

Steve

I look at this as a positive. If people see this ad and get upset, they might just stop drinking that garbage and start drinking actual beer.

August 18, 2009 @ 10:39 AM

Anne

I live in Toronto, and I don't have a problem with this ad, I thought it was pretty funny.

August 18, 2009 @ 10:47 AM

Toronto Mike

Make no mistake, I'm not offended by the ad in the least. But I'll bet there are Torontonians who are...

August 18, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

Race_Coach

Very poor taste.

August 18, 2009 @ 11:00 AM

LEW

What is suprising is that this ad campaign does not realize that most Lite beer drinkers are from back east...

August 18, 2009 @ 11:16 AM

T.O Representive

This is not a big deal, and it says its colder than "most" people that can mean that they are not cold at all and that the beer is colder.
Besides if u were told that you were cold that is also a slang that could be something good.

August 18, 2009 @ 11:21 AM

Sammi

Unfortunatley, the ad is accurate.

August 18, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

Irvine

I saw this today on an elevator at Bankers Hall in the heart of Calgary.

People roared with laughter.

August 18, 2009 @ 12:06 PM

elvis

Beer drinkers won't be affected by this ad - Coors Light is piss, not beer.

August 18, 2009 @ 12:21 PM

Irvine

See Elvis, YOU'RE who they're referring too.

Rather than laugh at the satire, you have to comment on the quality of the beer. It's just typical of Ontario.

Toronto has no sense of humour. The rest of the country does. I love that ad man. I had a good laugh on that one today.

Go Coors

August 18, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

Toronto Mike

@T.O Representive

If I'm up to date with my slang, and it's possible I'm many years behind.

cool = good
hot = good
chill = good
cold = bad

August 18, 2009 @ 12:28 PM

Dizzy

Very cute ad; gotta commend them for it.

I'm a former Torontonian, so I have first-hand experience with people there...and it's generally a true fact.

August 18, 2009 @ 1:21 PM

Andrea Muscat

"This ad is hilarious and genius in its quest!" There is quite an element of truth to it, and it brilliantly pokes fun at Toronto WHILE getting the Toronto-haters endeared to the beer! I know the next time I enter the Beer Store - Coors is the first thing I will think of.(And we all ask for the first thing we think of!) "I am a Torontonian, and I love the ad!" It indicates we on par with other huge metropolitan "cold/mean/bad" cities other hicks are jealous of and "love to hate!"

August 18, 2009 @ 1:28 PM

coopy

meh. most people who hate toronto have never even visited.

toronto has a great sense of humour... come on, Mel Lastman was the mayor for quite a long time

August 18, 2009 @ 1:39 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I think it's funny. People are talking about it so it's worked.

August 18, 2009 @ 1:48 PM

Toronto Mike

BREAKING NEWS...

Beer billboards mocking Toronto coming down in B.C.

Billboard ads in British Columbia for Coors Light beer are being taken down after complaints from Toronto residents offended by the message.

About 30 billboards throughout the province show a can of cold Coors Light and the words: "Colder Than Most People From Toronto."

Adam Moffat, Coors Light manager of brand and marketing public relations, said Tuesday the company has received about 10 calls and emails over the billboards, and most of them were complaints.

"I've been on the receiving end of a few emails," he said. "Clearly we've struck a chord with Toronto civic prideā€¦. People are saying they're proud Torontonians and feel it's not fair to be treated in this way."

August 18, 2009 @ 1:55 PM

Wayner

Too bad...i thought the ad was funny.It is not the best beer i have tasted but it does hit the spot on a hot summer day...

August 18, 2009 @ 2:10 PM

Andrew (needs a more distinct name)

I think the next round of ads should be for tent poles:
"Stuck up more than the people of Toronto"

or Condoms
"Thinner skins than the people of Toronto".

Get over yourself people. I lived in Toronto. While, not laugh out loud funny, the ads are amusing.

August 18, 2009 @ 3:02 PM

Sandra

Kinda makes sense that Torontonians are mad.. where do u draw the line? What if Advertisers started to tease Newfoundlanders.. and granola eating, socks and sandals wearing Vancouver residents. Other places are quick to dish out on Toronto, like somewhere there is a licence that says it's ok to diss us.

August 18, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

Argie

There aren't any billboards in NFL because no one can read out there. Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week.

August 18, 2009 @ 3:20 PM

Tara

@Argie

But we wish you weren't!

August 18, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

The_Voice

"10 calls and emails over the billboards"

And that's all it takes... 10 calls and emails.

August 18, 2009 @ 3:39 PM

Gary

I find it interesting that Irvine doesn't like a comment from Elvis, someone who he clearly has animosity towards, automatically jumps to the broad stroke statement "Toronto has no sense of humour."

Must have huge psychic ability to know how every single person in Toronto thinks regarding a topic.

August 18, 2009 @ 4:35 PM

Sara

What is with the West's obsession with us Torontonians? I always thought they spent way too much time thinking about us, but to actually put it in an ad? This alleged east-west rivalry is totally one-sided.

August 18, 2009 @ 5:56 PM

jason | Getyouroj.com

hilarious and accurate and PERFECT for an ad in BC

they do, after all, refer to us as Onterrible

August 18, 2009 @ 6:05 PM

Steve

Making fun of the beer doesn't necessarily mean we're offended by the ad. The ad was somewhat amusing, but ad or no ad, that stuff is friggin awful.

August 18, 2009 @ 6:12 PM

felix

Voice, The

Don't you know that every call/email represents one million people?

August 18, 2009 @ 6:57 PM

VNESS

@ Irvine

"Do you see Newf's take offense over Newfie jokes? no. Do you see those from the Peg take offense when you make car theft jokes? No. Do you see Sask types take offense when you say "you can see your dog run away for 2 days". no. Do you see people in Calgary or Edmonton take offense when you poke fun? No. Nor do you see BC types loose it if you call them stoned pot head hippies. They just laugh"

WOW, ya must be magical... how is it that you know if all the people of nfl,cal,sask,b.c etc, etc, have ever took offense to those types of comments?

ps: those "jokes" weren't posted on billboards either.

August 18, 2009 @ 7:52 PM

eastvanbc

If you don't like the ads, go back home!

August 18, 2009 @ 8:29 PM

Irvine

Ya know what's so funny about Toronto? All it's best parts are because of immigration. The ethnic restaurants, the patios in Little Italy, Caribana, hell even the Gay Pride Parade (mind you not immigrants but still "outside" if you get me)

Indeed Toronto is a cold city. I lived there for a long time. It's anti social, it's reserved & it thinks highly of itself. People there have incredibly thin skins and no sense of humour

And..Toronto is rotting away. Toronto has a higher unemployment rate than St Johns NFLD, Halifax, hell even Montreal. Many of the head offices "fled" to Mississauga, then later came to Calgary.

Toronto, a have not city in a have not province. LOL. The "Centre of the Universe".

August 18, 2009 @ 10:02 PM

Irvine

Oh, one more thing

When I lived in Toronto, it was common to make fun of Americans. So how come it's WRONG for other parts of Canada to pick on Toronto..but it's OK for people in Toronto to make fun of America?

LOL

Irvine, supporting the "kick Ontario out of confederation" movement.

August 18, 2009 @ 10:41 PM

Mike from Lowville

Very funny! Coors Light is good pounding beer. Beats water! Can't drink too much real beer when it's this hot!

August 18, 2009 @ 11:17 PM

Mike from Lowville

LOL,"supporting the "kick Ontario out of confederation" movement." Just like a transplant Westerner! That would be great! We could draw the line at Saskatchewan and Alberta. You sell all your dirty oil to the States, (anyway) BC can keep their rain. We'll join with Quebec(many Francophone's live in Ontario) and the East coast(Canada's playground)and see how you yahoos in Alberta fend when the oil runs out or better yet, my Canada gets off oil! Now, Irvine, see how silly that sounds?....... Hmmm.... just might work!

August 19, 2009 @ 11:08 AM

@Irvine

I like the idea of a separate Ontario and am entirely in favour of banning narrow-mindedness like yours by refusing to issue you a travel visa.

Now, can't we talk about something a little more important?

August 19, 2009 @ 8:44 PM

Mike from Lowville

You started it.......the narrow-mindedness. If that is actually a word!

August 20, 2009 @ 11:08 AM

Mike from Lowville

Oh, keep your Visa or passport! I support Canada. Work, play and spend here. I look for MADE IN CANADA! I'm a real pisser about that as should every other TRUE Canadian be.

August 20, 2009 @ 11:13 AM

Zee

Well, I gotta say it is kinda true. After spending time in some of the other major Canadian cities I can't say that the urban cores of Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, etc etc, have much warmer and friendlier ppl than Toronto though. After living on the East Coast and in Ontario I've realized the ignorance that a lot of ppl from both provinces have towards the rest of Canada is actually kinda funny. Anyways, Coors is a horrible beer...tastes like typical crappy homebrew and you have to drink 12 of them to get a buzz.

August 20, 2009 @ 5:26 PM

jo

Not really surprised at all. When you're part of the cultural elites the mullets will complain.

People from lesser cities like Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have always begrudged Toronto for being a superior city.

August 20, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

Mark

The beer will make a person more dumb than the idiot that wrote the advertisement. I'll never touch or talk to someone loyal to Coors. They promote removal of the cohesion of our beautiful and peaceful country. -Mark From Ottawa

August 29, 2009 @ 4:35 PM

lol@mark

Mark, coors doesn't need you. Toronto is a 3rd world city.

September 28, 2009 @ 4:17 AM

Jeffrey

I just moved into Toronto from another country after 15 years as an expat, although originally born and raised in Vancouver, I am finding people from Toronto very warm people ! Just goes to show how spoiled you Canadians can be. You should have seen the former British colony I was living in ... now that's one cold bunch !!!

April 20, 2010 @ 2:03 AM

badabing

NIce ad terrible drink not sure its beer ! Good try though trying to sell it as beer. Oh i just got the joke its about Toronto, good one Coors no one drinks your fizz pop, its not beer ad man. If you like beer i mean real beer you have to drink thats made outside of North America. Just cause you sell lots of bottled dish water doesn't make it beer. hhehehe yes we have a sense of humor.. Toronto Doesn't care what u think.
Oh Old Toronto south of bloor, suburb toronto upto Steeles, Scary Toronto [Scarborough] Woppy Toronto [Etobicoke] just watch the city will soon chew on Miserysaga and Pickering soon we need more tax dollars to feed city hall.

September 20, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

running sandals

this is such a cool ad, i see nothing wrong in it. to each his own anyway, right?

September 23, 2011 @ 7:38 AM

Anonymous

Torontonians who get upset over something like this have no sense of humour.

October 10, 2011 @ 10:41 AM