5 Albums Every Teenager Should Listen To

musicAs a teenager, I would hear about these iconic classic rock albums. "Revolver", "Dark Side of the Moon", "Morrison Hotel" and "Have You Ever Been Experienced" were just some of the albums I had to discover for myself. It was a rite of passage.

Here are five classic albums I believe every teenager should listen to. If you believe I missed a mandatory play-through album from 1955 through 1980 that should be in the top five, let me know in the comments.

Bob Marley - Legend

legend

Neil Young - Decade

decade

The Clash - London Calling

london-calling

Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks

hotrocks

Led Zeppelin - IV

iv

Margaret

C'mon. NO Beatles. Srsly?

August 28, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

Buffaloboymike

Mike, I have one of two records that have to be on that list, I would honestly take off Zeppelin and replace it with either: The Beach Boys Pet Sounds or The Beach Boys Party! records.
When I was young I developed my first musical love with the beach boys so harmonic and relevant even today.
Pet Sounds was a hugely important record but as a kid I loved extended version of Barbara Ann on the Party record.

August 28, 2009 @ 6:25 PM

Dizzy

KISS - Revenge. Not sure when that was made but it was a pretty rocking album.

I'm also surprized the Beatles aren't on the list. Same with Elvis.

August 28, 2009 @ 6:36 PM

Sarah

Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder

August 28, 2009 @ 6:54 PM

Toronto Mike

To their credit, there isn't really a definitive Beatles ablum. Is it Rubber Soul? Is it Revolver? Is it Abbey Road? Is it Sergeant Pepper? You get the idea...

I wrote this entry subjectively. The 5 albums I've got listed are 5 albums that really helped shape my ears, if you will.

Of course there are others.... some listed in the entry. No Elvis album comes close, IMHO.

August 28, 2009 @ 7:41 PM

Race_Coach

There is no right answer to this - obviously.

I'd swap Neil Young and the Clash with Dark Side of the Moon and Crime of the Century. I was never a real Stones fan, but they helped create rock, so I'd keep it on the list.

My wife's list is:
Boston - Boston
Zeppelin - IV
Pink Floyd - The Wall
AC-DC - Back in Black
Eagles - Best of

August 28, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm going to try this again, but with studio albums only. Three of the albums above are compilations.

Stand by...

August 28, 2009 @ 8:48 PM

Jill

Unable to limit to 5....So here are some more for mandatory play-through albums from 1955 through 1980.
As noted above greatest hits should never account therefore,
After The Goldrush & Harvest.......Neil Young
American Woman......Guess Who
LA Woman......The Doors
Pearl.......Janis Joplin
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Abbey Road, White Album....Beatles
Imagine.....John Lennon
Band On The Run.....Paul McCartney
Night At The opera, A Day At The Races, News Of The World, Sheer Heart Attack .....Queen
Wish You Were Here, The Wall......Pink Floyd

Court & Spark, Blue......Joni Mitchell
But Seriously Folks......Joe Walsh
Fragile...Yes
Million Dollar Baby....Alice Cooper

August 28, 2009 @ 11:46 PM

Jill

Oh yeah and one of your favorites.....ha,ha.
Hotel California.....The Eagles

August 28, 2009 @ 11:48 PM

elvis

Why only 5? An iPod can be loaded with many more albums.

Agreed re: Elvis - he released music in a time when EPs weren't as common place as they are today.

August 28, 2009 @ 11:55 PM

Dizzy

I think compilations are the way to go. All tracks on them are usually strong, versus the regular studio albums where a few tracks can be weak or something.

August 29, 2009 @ 7:24 AM

jason | GetYourOJ.com

this is absured man...........

September 1, 2009 @ 7:15 PM