Strombo Show Cancelled?

RadioI swear this isn't meant to be a CFNY / Edge 102 blog or Corus blog, it's just a collection of things I'm personally interested in, and this past month that seems to be dominated by a certain local alt rock station.

A few Sundays ago, I wrote about the absence of The Strombo Show on CFNY / Edge 102. I wondered aloud if he had quit Corus. You can click through to read how I strung that thought together.

Then, 102.1 didn't air The Strombo Show again. It was more smoke, but no fire... yet. Now, there's more smoke, thanks to this message from a source I won't reveal.

Don't know if you have heard yet, but a friend at corus said strombo show I cancelled effective immediately. Bullshit about him not being able to find the time to do the show like he wanted to. I know he doesn't have a lot of time but he just built an entire studio in his basement a couple months ago in order to be able to have more time to himself and still be able to put a show together. Rumour has it the ratings were down, but the timing seems a bit fishy if you ask me.

Has The Strombo Show been cancelled?

Argie

Great! Now if we can only get the Hour cancelled.

An employee at CBC told me The Hour gets about 40,000 viewers a night - a pitiful rating.

July 31, 2009 @ 10:32 AM

Mike from Lowville

Why in the fuck should YOU care Argue? You mean you watch socialist television? Does your friend Mike Harris know that?

July 31, 2009 @ 10:46 AM

Argie

To answer your questions, mike:

Its taxpayers funds'
Yes, sometimes
I doubt it

July 31, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

Mellow out, fool

hey Mike- here's a hint for you: ANGER MANAGEMENT CLASS.

July 31, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

Argie

July 31, 2009 @ 11:15 AM

Jason Paris

Got a Tweet direct from Strobo that states...

"Hey man. The Strombo Show wasn't canned. I left. I've got some other stuff in the works."

July 31, 2009 @ 11:57 AM

Hector

Well if Barry's note from the other day is true, what would Strombo be able to play anyway?? The list is down to about 3 bands now.

The station just keeps getting worse and worse.

So sad....

July 31, 2009 @ 1:31 PM

Archie

I agree with the first post. The Hour is lame, and the radio show pretty close. 40,000 viewers for a national TV broadcast is terrible, so I can imagine the numbers for the radio show were pretty stinky too.

July 31, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

Mike from Lowville

"Mellow out - Mike can't help it - its his union member mentality that instinctively lashes out at anything he disagrees with. Poor fellow has spent his entire adult life as a union slack. Sure he retired at 50 and is set for life but he's always looking for a fight - or at least a picket line."

Hey Argue....and I'll spell it out for your P brain, Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Fucking Ass Off at your post........and they say Union members, yes,(you and I) are uneducated?

July 31, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

Argie

Mike - You once again prove you're a walking talking stereotype of a underworked, overpaid union slug.

July 31, 2009 @ 2:49 PM

Ajax Mike

Ok, y'know, I'm fine with Argie most of the time because while he grates on most here, as I've said before at least he's capable of intelligent discourse. Dude, personal attacks and name calling do not become you.

July 31, 2009 @ 4:28 PM

Toronto Mike

Just to bring it back to Strombo, I like The Hour and find Strombo to be a genuinely interesting host.

July 31, 2009 @ 5:24 PM

Dizzy

I'm with Mike - I think George is a great host. He's easier to digest on CBC than he was when he was on MuchMusic.

July 31, 2009 @ 7:06 PM

Barbara W

The Strombo Show will continue in the fall... maybe just not on Corus...

The Hour's ratings are better than Argie reported in the comment section here, It's plays twice a day and the Hour's internet traffic leads the way at the CBC. It pays for itself so your 28$ bucks a year is not propping up The Hour babe!

July 31, 2009 @ 7:08 PM

Toronto Mike

Strombo owns The Strombo Show, so I'm sure he'll find a home for it, even if it's web streaming / podcast. Ideally, he would get a show on CBC Radio One or Two.

This entry was to suggest Strombo's show was gone from Corus, which includes CFNY / Edge 102. As I've noted before, The Strombo Show site has been offline for some time.

On Facebook, Strombo just posted this on his Strombo Show page:

"Hi, Hope your summer is going well... The Strombo Show will be on vacation for the remainder of the summer, with some changes in the works for the fall. But, don't go too far because some really cool things are coming down the pipe. I'll update you as soon as I can :) Thanks, as always. George"

July 31, 2009 @ 7:41 PM

Irvine

Dear Mr Argue:

As a resident of Ontario, you currently reside in a "have not" province. That province is known as Ontario.

As a resident of a "have" province, myself and my brethren are tired of supporting your "lazy provincial welfare" ass. You are a drain on the "have" provinces (all in the west). You don't appreciate our hard earned petrol dollars that we send to you each time we pay federal taxes.

Mr Argie, please start pulling your weight.

Thank you.

A concerned Westerner.

July 31, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

Pete McPhedran

@Irvine,

I can't believe that in a way I'm "sticking up" for Argue, not that you need it buddy, but still:

From: http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iw9-4d7eWUnP1Nkj5AbDsLrlp8Qg

"CALGARY — It appears Alberta's sea of red ink is going to get even deeper before the current signs of economic improvement will have a buoyant effect on the province's economy."

So, what do you say I hold a spot for you in the soup line there Irv?

That's the difference between Albertans and Ontarians, Albertans wish the were Ontarians, and Ontarians don't really give a flying f.

--Pete

July 31, 2009 @ 11:17 PM

Irvine

LOL, wow Pete, aren't you smart.

What you don't realize is that Alberta has no provincial debt AND that "deficit" just means we'll use savings to cover it (it's called the Heritage Plan). Like how the Globe loves to declare that EI claims in Calgary have jumped 50%. Yeah, because prior to the recession NO ONE WAS unemployed.

LOL, Albertans wish they were Ontarians? *cracks up*. Wow, you don't get out here much, do you. I guess all those signs that say "More Alberta, Less Ottawa" are secret codes for "I wanna be from Ontario"

Oh, BTW, our unemployment rate at the height of this crushing recession is LOWER than Toronto's rate DURING PEAK times. LOL. What's that say eh?

But you know what makes me smile. Every time I read that Saskatchewan is a "have" province and Ontario is a "have not". God, that's gotta hurt the ego down there in the "Center of the Universe".

How's your deficit coming anyway LOL.

August 1, 2009 @ 4:47 PM

Argie

Irvine: It actually feels pretty good to be a 'have not' province. Since Confederation ON has been helping to prop up the rest of Cda.

Billions sent to Que, billions to the Maritimes and nothing sent back our way, ever until now. Thanks to the incompetence of McGuinty and the discovery of oil in NFL the tables have finally turned.

Its OK my ego and egos of most Ontarians can take it.

August 2, 2009 @ 8:21 PM

Race_Coach

What a fucked up tangent this post has corrupted into? Is Mike's blog just about finding some asshole to shit on?

What is the relevance of all this bullshit to the original post?

You dick-heads are pathetic.

August 5, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

Race_Coach

What a fucked up tangent this post has corrupted into. Is Mike's blog just about finding some asshole to shit on?

What is the relevance of all this bullshit to the original post?

You dick-heads are pathetic.

August 5, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

kel

A clue as to what is to come from Strombo? The following is posted on his myspace page: "Coming soon.. The New Independent FM"

August 7, 2009 @ 7:06 PM

Toronto Mike

On Strombo's Blog today....

"I'm thinking it's time for a new, independent FM."

August 9, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

Neville A. Ross

The best place for Strombo (and had he not committed suicide, Martin Streek) is satellite radio (Sirius and/or XM). Both could have set up shows that were like their shows on The Edge, and get listeners that give a shit at networks that give a shit rather then be slaves to greedy fracking bastards. I hope that George considers it.

August 11, 2009 @ 9:06 PM