Martin Streek's Unseen Demo for Martin Streek's Backstage

videoI'm still stunned that Martin Streek left us this early when there were so many other options available to him. It's a tragic story that really hits me, because I spent hundreds of nights listening to him on the Thursday 30 and his Live to Air broadcasts on CFNY 102.1 / The Edge. Furthermore, the world's collide all over the place with this one. I broke the sad news last night and have many friends who knew Martin personally and are mourning his loss in a far more personal way.

I was scheduled to meet up with Mike Wixson tonight. Mike worked with Martin, and now works with my good friend Humble Howard at RedFishEntertainment, producing his Man Up Canada game show. I was going to meet with Mike about some Man Up Canada web stuff when he cancelled because, as you can imagine, he's shattered.

Mike and I were exchanging emails this morning when he sent me this recent tid bit about Martin Streek that will likely be news to everybody.

We had just finished a pilot for a new show called Martin Streek's Backstage...he was brilliant. It was going to be popular and he would never have had to look back on radio. He was made for TV. I have a demo you need to see. He was headed toward a TV career at 1000 miles an hour.

Here's Martin Streek's demo for Martin Streek's Backstage, a show we'll never get to see developed. In this great clip, he's interviewing USS.

He looked and sounded great, didn't he?

RQEQ

Quick Martin story:

I had the privilege of working with Martin Streek every weekend for close to 3 years.
In small stinky sweaty DJ booths.
It was awesome.
And so was he.
My nickname on the Humble and Fred Morning Show was Bingo Bob.
But Martin hated it.
The first night we worked together he asked me, “What’s your middle name?”
Richard.
“What street do you live on?”
Queen.
“You are Richard Queen”
NO WAY AM I DICK QUEEN
He paused.
“RQ?….RQ?….Sounds like R2...as in R2D2…you produce…you EQUALIZE…you will be RQEQ”
And a part of me still is.
And always will be.
I have the award from the "Edge 102 Hall of Fame" to prove it.
Thanks to Martin Streek.

July 7, 2009 @ 12:29 PM

Mike from Lowville

He was a natural!

July 7, 2009 @ 1:48 PM

Horonymous

R.I.P. Martin

For those suffering depression or other issues please seek help. People do care.

July 7, 2009 @ 2:34 PM

ch

RQEQ - that was a great little story about martin.

July 7, 2009 @ 4:30 PM

Shaun

Grew up on Martin -- he was CFNY. RIP brother.

July 7, 2009 @ 8:19 PM

Megan

So shocking! What a great voice! He will be missed!

July 7, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Buffaloboymike

Wow, too bad....the scary ones are the ones who keep it hidden, depression is a secret thing, those who "act" depressed really are not the ones to worry about, the ones to worry about are the ones who never say anything and keep it hidden, that is why its so hard to diagnose and to treat because you never really can tell.
He wasn't an unsocialable guy, he was out going but no one ever saw him probably when he was alone, there could have been a lot of stuff going on no one will ever know about...
I will, we will all miss him, he was really one of the reasons why I tuned into CFNY religiously on Fridays, Saturdays and Especially Sunday nights, he was a one of kind voice that as hard as they will try, they will never replace, a sad day for Toronto, my thoughts are with you all North of the Border

July 7, 2009 @ 9:52 PM

mertz

hey bingo bob i remember you, and he always gave the best nicknames.

i just saw the vimeo video's. i would have watched a martin streek backstage show.

July 8, 2009 @ 8:12 AM

Deacon Day

RQEQ!
awesome story. i enjoyed it!
dD