Who Are These AFI Fans?

edgefestI'm going to Edgefest 2009 at Downsview Park this Saturday. My pal has hooked me up with tickets and I like enough of the bands that I think it'll be a great day and night of music outdoors.

Here's the bands and set times for the main stage:

1:30pm - Arkells
2:20pm - The Stills
3:10pm - K-OS
4:10pm - Metric
5:40pm - Alexisonfire
7:10pm - AFI
8:50pm - Billy Talent

That's cool, I like all of those bands, although I'm not the world's biggest Alexisonfire guy, preferring City and Colour, but I don't understand the allure of the 2nd last band playing. How did AFI get so big and who are these AFI fans who have them playing at 7:10?

I'd give AFI the 3:10 spot and bump up everybody else. Of course, I'd also put Metric on 2nd last. I love Metric.

CQ

FYI, this weekend's Mississauga Waterfront Festival lineup:
Fri - Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards
Sat - 54-40, The Spoons
Sun - Bruce Cockburn

June 16, 2009 @ 6:07 PM

jason | Getyouroj.com

Metric is way too good for that bill.

That's all I have to say about that.

June 16, 2009 @ 7:26 PM

Toronto Mike

CQ, that's a great lineup, now we need them all on the same stage on the same day!

June 16, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

Annemarie

I plan to go to the Mississauga Waterfront Festival. It was great last year. Sam is extra $ though (since when did he get so big?). Not down w/ that so not payin'. Saw him @ Beachfest anyway before for free. Last year, the MWF was *$15 for the whole weekend!*. Clearly, it's not about the music anymore...

June 16, 2009 @ 9:45 PM

Irvine

It's another example of Edge 102 being out of touch.

AFI was a band that got their start on Myspace with a song called "Rabbits are Roadkill". That was followed by this song
called Miss Murder that reached Number 1 on the Billboard Modern Rock Charts

The second single was "Love Like Winter" which was all over radio in the USA. Here's the video

In fact, without looking at sales figures, I bet that AFI outsold ALL those other bands. The real reason you haven't heard them is because you listen to 102.1. You likely don't realize it but Edge 102 misses about half of all the good alternative rock that exists. It's too busy playing Coldplay crap.

Ya know Mike, you should spend 1 month listening to Alt Nation on Sirius, WFNX Boston or X92.9 if you want to hear what "Alternative Radio" is all about.

June 16, 2009 @ 9:50 PM

Toronto Mike

Firstly, we can't criticize 102.1 for being out of touch when this is their flagship event and they have them 2nd from the top.

And I'm aware of Miss Murder and the other AFI hits, I just don't think they're that good.

June 16, 2009 @ 9:53 PM

James Edgar

I think if this was August Metric would be higher. I think there going to have a big summer.i wouldn';t pay for edgefest. Other than Metric and the Arkells I'm not a real fan of anybody on the bill.

June 16, 2009 @ 10:04 PM

Irvine

Well Mike, you might not like AFI but a whole whack of other people do. Isn't this supposed to be about mass appeal ?

Why shouldn't I criticize Edge 102.1? I remember a few years ago listening to them with the liners that said something like "you heard it here first because that's what we do". As if 102.1 was some revolutionary FM outfit that "broke ground". Anyone that understood the playlists of most commercial Alt Rock stations knew that they're one of the LAST stations to play new music. That includes certain Cancon bands. 91X, WFNX, Live 105 & a sack of other Alt rockers played Tegan & Sara's record while Edge didn't. Wow, how's that for supporting Cancon. Guess they couldn't slide in "Walking With a Ghost" cause of Billy Talent.

Dude I want you to say it.."Edge 102 isn't a really good New Rock station'. And then I want you to listen to Live 105, 91X, WFNX or Calgary's X92.9 to discover what "Alt Radio" sounds like. You'll discover a world of music that is ... much better than Billy Talentless & Coldplay.

June 16, 2009 @ 10:17 PM

Annemarie

I love you Irvine. :)

June 16, 2009 @ 11:13 PM

Fredericton Steve

Hey Irvine,

AFI did not get their start on Myspace. Hell their first album came out in 1995.

You also missed the two biggest hits from the same album that rabbits are roadkill came from (Girls Not Grey and The Leaving Song)

And if Alt Nation on Sirius is a true alternative rock station then I would say that alt rock is in some dire straits.

June 16, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

Irvine

Freddy Steve: They formed in 90 (I think) and first record was 95.

As for Rabbits are Roadkill, it was the first single that was actually embraced by commercial Alternative radio. Why..I think it was Alt Nation that actually championed the song.

Alt Nation is a true COMMERCIAL Alternative station. I'm not talking about indie orientated stations like XMU, Indie 103 or BBC 6 Music. I'm talking about a tightly programmed alternative rock station that targets the mainstream. On that account, Alt Nation is heads and tails above every single commercial Alternative station in the USA. Even WFNX in Boston.

Is Alt Nation perfect? Nope. But hearing Coconut Records & Santigold in the mix with Offspring is way more refreshing than 102.1.

June 17, 2009 @ 12:11 AM

JLo Biafra

Great line up...if you're 16. :rolleyes:

June 17, 2009 @ 12:16 AM

Irvine

Wait, I'm wrong. I checked my CD's and "Sing the Sorrow" was released in 2003. Rabbits isn't on it nor on the next record.

I don't pay much attention to the punk scene, but I'm sure AFI was a gothy punk back in the 90s man. Not radio fodder even for adventurous stations.

PS..I thought of another Cancon band that got airplay elsewhere before Edge. The New Phonographers - Use It. I know that for a fact because I remember playing it in 2005 and Edge was slow on the get go. And I got it from some playlist from like 91X or something.

June 17, 2009 @ 12:34 AM

Andrew

I get that there are other better radio stations than the playlist at CFNY. I think Mike gets it too.

The point is, and why I have to repeat this so many times, is that I can't get a Calgary or Boston station on my car in Toronto.
I also don't like satellite radio. I may be in a minority but I actually like listening to a radio host.

June 17, 2009 @ 8:30 AM

jason | Getyouroj.com

It's not about car stereos and availablity though Andrew, it's about the fact that Mike defends Edge 102 every single change he gets and the question is WHY?

For what it's worth, I don't think Mike "gets it" or wants to, but it's rather pretentious to act like you do when you don't.

So tell us of Great Edge Defender, why do you kiss the stations ass every chance you get?

June 17, 2009 @ 6:49 PM

Toronto Mike

Jason, that's not true. I'm not sugar coating anything I write about CFNY. It's not perfect, but it's still my favourite Toronto station when it comes to tunes, and it's not even close.

There are entries in the archives where I'm pretty harsh about certain shows on 102.1, but I'm a realist and I happen to like the bulk of the music played there.

Andrew is right, my car radio and shower radio doesn't get that great station in Calgary.

As for ass kissing CFNY, please. This very entry is me hating on their #2 band Saturday. Are these entries me kissing their ass?

June 17, 2009 @ 7:56 PM

Irvine

LOL, my God, so that's criticism Mike?

If I was you dude, I'd be working on "letting go" of my idolization of radio people. If you have to idolize someone in radio, how about Taylor Parnaby or David Bent? Not Dean Blundell or Fred Patterson.

www.wonderbreadtoronto.com.