The Baby Formula

MoviesI attended a screening of a new Canadian film entitled "The Baby Formula" this afternoon at the Drake Hotel. It was part of their First Weekend Club film series. The Drake has this sweet set up where you get a free drink from the bar, watch a cool new film in their ultra cool mini-theatre and then get a Q&A with the director, actors from the film, etc.

All I knew going into "The Baby Formula" was that it was about the first two women in the world to conceive using “female sperm” made from each other’s stem cells. It was surprisingly funny and charming. I laughed out loud several times and, if I were less of a macho man, I could have teared up at a few moving scenes. The pregnant lesbian couple were actually pregnant during filming (but weren't an actual couple), adding to the realism, and it was great to see them at the showing.

This flick was put together for $275,000 CAD. Some big budget films spend more on catering. It's really, really good but there's no money to promote it. AMC is giving it a weekend this month to see if it's worthy of more screen time. If you're looking for a charming as all hell movie that'll make you laugh, see "The Baby Formula" on June 19, 20 or 21 at the AMC at Yonge and Dundas.

Toronto Mike

2 additional notes:

1. There's a sequence during the closing credits where the two main actresses dance to the Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" while both very pregnant. It's a great bit, but the filmmakers couldn't afford to license the song for general release, so you won't see this clip at the AMC.

2. The Baby Formula is far more enjoyable than Twilight. I'm just sayin'...

June 7, 2009 @ 6:42 PM

Toronto Mike

Yes, the director, Alison Reid, says she got the idea after reading a science article in which they were doing this with mice.

June 7, 2009 @ 7:23 PM

Mike from Lowville

LOL, I expected a rant by Argie on this one. His Internet must be down.

June 8, 2009 @ 11:52 AM

James Edgar

Great trailer.I hope they get a decent distrubution Deal.

June 8, 2009 @ 11:57 AM

Argie

OK I'll bite. God forbid this never happens in reality. Does anyone care about how the kid/offspring of this freaky alliance would turn out? All we need is another screwed up kid in this world.

This kind of scientific experiment should be outlawed. Sometimes the answer to these 'freaks' request is 'no'.

June 10, 2009 @ 3:55 PM

Roshan

They can do that? I bet the movie is a great watch although I'm not sure about women making sperm. Think about it; if they don't need us anymore, won't they all gang up and blast us men to extinction!

June 14, 2009 @ 12:59 AM

Kelsey

This screening was a part of the First Weekend Club's "Canada Screens Series". They screen one great Canadian Film a month with a wine reception to start(and a comp glass of wine) and a talkback with filmmakers and stars after every film.

July 15, 2009 @ 5:25 PM