Stormin' Norm Rumack Axed at Fan 590

radioNorm Rumack has been with THE FAN since its inception in September 1992, but you won't hear him on THE FAN 590 any longer. Stormin' Norm Rumack has been fired as Rogers-owned stations axed four ad reps, Rumack and an unidentified behind-the-scenes employee.

Back in the 90s, when I listened to quite a bit more of THE FAN, Norm was known for:

• An unapologetic, unfazed appreciation for "God's Team", the Toronto Maple Leafs
  • A belief Wendel Clark was the greatest player in the history of the game
  • An absolute hate-on for the Muder City Dead Things
  • A HammerHead Alert he would sound if you disagreed with any of the above

It was fun late-night radio back in the day. I haven't heard him in years, but you don't soon forget a guy who tells you Wendel Clark is better than Mario Lemieux and believes every syllable.

The late-night vampire shall haunt us no longer. Hammerhead Alert! Hammerhead Alert!

Steve

I haven't heard him in a long time either, but it's sad to hear that another person I grew up listening to is gone. Here's hoping he ends up in a good place in the future.

June 24, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

James

Wow, like both of you, I haven't listened to him in a while either.

But in the 90s, when I was a kid, I used to love hearing him get in crazy fights with callers.

It'll be weird with no Stormin Norman on The Fan. Even though I hadn't listened in a while, I sort of liked knowing he was there.

Good luck Norm!

June 24, 2009 @ 3:43 AM

Al

Folks, you haven't missed much by not listening to Norm lately. I used to be a fan too, but I don't know if I outgrew him, or his act just got tired. FYI, he recently renounced the Leafs as God's team and actually became critical of them.

I would never wish being fired on anyone. I hope/suspect Norm will land on his feet somewhere else (like maybe AM640). Maybe they'll benefit from the added Strip Club Ad Revenues that Norm seems to bring with him and his current audience.

June 24, 2009 @ 8:56 AM

Andrew

I remember Norm but I don't listen to him or the FAN anymore.
I think that whole station is tired.

I did like Norm with his "Dead Things" rants but his love of the Leafs was too silly.

June 24, 2009 @ 11:19 AM

Nick

I can't believe they would keep know-it-all Lajoie & sarcastic Faraway and let Stormin go. Must be Norm was too highly paid. Good luck Norm!

June 24, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

James

Yeah, it's true. If The Fan wanted to clear some salary, I can probably think of a couple guys they could have let go who probably make a lot more money than Norm did.

Farraway would be my personal #1 choice. Really don't like his show.

June 24, 2009 @ 12:44 PM

elvis

He's an asshole. He turned on our beloved Leafs and is now a Sabres season ticket holder and bashes the Leafs.

Go fuck yourself Norm!

June 24, 2009 @ 1:41 PM

James Edgar

I know weho he ois but don't remember ever listening. i do know I aggre that "know-it-all Lajoie & sarcastic Faraway " should go especially Lajoie. I hate listening to that guy.

June 24, 2009 @ 1:50 PM

Toronto Mike

Let me get this straight, Rumack at some point denounced God's Team and adopted the Sabres as his team?

Wow, I really haven't tuned in in a while. When did he turn on us?

June 24, 2009 @ 2:01 PM

elvis

A number of years ago actually (guessing five)...he preaches the Sabres Gospel now...

June 24, 2009 @ 2:04 PM

Mary Baron

hammerhead no more, say it aint so ! The leafs can never beat the sabres anyway -- its just how it is... long live the hamilton coyotes..... hey gary would you ever sink your own $ into the phoenix team ?

June 24, 2009 @ 3:00 PM

Mike

Norm was really good when he and Marty York did the show.
Since then it has been stale.
As a matter of fact The Fan in general is very stale!!
Good Luck Norm

June 24, 2009 @ 3:24 PM

Devon

Too bad. I liked him.

June 24, 2009 @ 3:45 PM

Adam Stocker

This is horrible he was one of the only reasons to listen to the fan he was one of their only good personalities

June 24, 2009 @ 4:04 PM

Sean

As much as i loved him growing up, Norm was a shadow of his former self. He went from opinionated to PC over night. If he wants to hook up with 640 hes gonna have to get that edge back.

As far as Farroway, I swear he has something on Nelson Melman. He talks about the same crap every day, and i would not be surprised that his rating are horrible outside of Hamilton.
They really should rename his show the "Doug Farroway's get a hockey team to Hamilton show", because thats all he ever talks about.

June 24, 2009 @ 5:08 PM

James

Yeah. I mean, I hate to rip on the guy too much...

..but with Farraway, you feel like he's thinking 'I like Hamilton, British Soccer, and the Leafs so that's all I'm ever going to talk about, regardless of what the big stories of the day are.' The Leaf stuff is fine, but give the other stuff a rest.

It's frustrating when there's a big Jays series or something, and Farraway goes on for an hour about some Liverpool midfielder or a diatribe about Hamilton. The Fan should stick to McCowns sports business stuff, and covering the local teams, IMO.

June 24, 2009 @ 6:08 PM

elvis

Farraway isn't going anyway...he's the sports director, no?

June 24, 2009 @ 7:43 PM

Ramblin R

It's sad to see anyone in broadcasting lose his/her job. All the best to Stormin.

I happen to think that Doug Farraway has one of the most intelligent shows on the radio. He talks about the world sports stories of the day instead of just the same ol North American rubbish. I would love to see the Fan add an hour to his show and drop the afternoon Big Show with the interupting boys.

June 25, 2009 @ 6:28 AM

Sean

Farrowaw really just is not entertaining when he goes on his little diatribes.
Be it Hamilton, be it Soccer. I do not listen to the Fan when he is on anymore because I've already heard his show a few times, its not going to get any different.
id listen again if he does not mention Hamilton and Hockey in the same sentence again, but we both know that will not happen.

June 25, 2009 @ 11:12 AM

felix

Yep, I too recall listening to the Late Night Vampire quite a bit before I moved away in '98. Too bad I never got one of his famed Hammerhead Alert shirts. Best of luck, Norm.

June 25, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

Ron

Doug Farraway you're annoying. Plain and simple. There's a reason you're the sports director Doug, although why they chose you, I'm not sure. You're a horseshit broadcaster. Give the airwaves back, even though it's not gonna help your sagging station any.

June 27, 2009 @ 7:33 AM

andrew

Probobly the worst on air personality in the history of sports talk radio. How did he last this long? Oh maybe there is DJ position at a strip club in his future!

June 27, 2009 @ 7:22 PM

Anonymous

Norm is the biggest speedbag there ever was!!! Good riddance you frickin posin gimp!!!

June 29, 2009 @ 5:03 PM

Mick

Norm Rumuack is what they call mediocre, bland, ass kissing at its worst...the guy hasn't been relevant in years and I for one was very happy to hear that this speedbag finally got his medicine shoved down his frickin throat!! Go back to Syracuse you poser!! Shuffle off to Buffalo ya slapnut...don't let the door hit ya on the way out clown!!

June 29, 2009 @ 5:07 PM

Mass

Norm's act got really old besides Morency and Sports Rage is on at the same time and Morency kicks ass he has the best sports show on satellite radio.

June 29, 2009 @ 8:57 PM

Chas

Norm was interesting .. maybe a bit too honest about the Leafs and Raptors to survive .. not sure .
Maybe he'll get picked up by 640..

June 30, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

Louie

I have to agree with my boy Mick!! We used to call this ass hat back in the good ol' days and make him look like the biggest super clown ever!! this guy was nothing but a blow hard bag of hard air!! Wendel over MVP Federov?!?!?!? Are you kidding me?? then a self proclaimed "life long, die hard" Leaf fan bails for a chump of franchise like the Sabres?!?!?! that says it All folks!! Fuck that gimp!! and for all you morons that support him...get bent you bunch of no nothing douchebags!!! If you love him that much Jarvis and Church St. isn't too far... Good riddance to the "late night" disaster!!!! Your good friends Mick, and Louie..and you know who we are "borin'" Norman Heh, heh!!!

June 30, 2009 @ 10:09 PM

Mick

Too all you stupid fucks,moron Norm ain't going to AM 640, they are too smart to hire a moron like him! Get it? got it? good!!!! Look him up on Facebook you jonesers....he really could use the fans..all 10 of ya LMAO!!!!

June 30, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

Chris

I just want to say I support Mick and Louie 100%!!!! Norms a SPEEDBAG!! and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ya GIMP!! (OLD SCHOOL)!!! Fucking Norm "the gimp" Rumak!!!!! Happy trail "snorin'" Norman!!!...

June 30, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

James

Wild guess....Mick = Louie = Chris?

July 2, 2009 @ 4:22 PM

Toronto Mike

I can confirm that Mick, Louie and Chris all came from the same IP address.

No stuffing the ballot box, guys!

July 2, 2009 @ 4:25 PM

John

Help Bring him Back!!!

July 4, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

jj

I agree,
Norm can go fuck himself, just like he fucked the leafs..
im sure he'll land on his feet shilling for some strip joint somewhere...the sleazoid,
but...'treasures; still buys ad time from fan 590..
its just the late night jackass, who gets the boot..
good ridfdends u mindless prick.

July 5, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

jj

AND roger Lajoie,
his Paramour,
should be tarred and feathered..
all he knows is how to snort,
act like the latest incarnation
of Barney Fife, and blow hard on develillano's pipe.
Is Roger "EVER" off the air???? Eveey frikkin time I tirn that tired station on..
there's whiny ass kissing
Lajoie..fillingh in for someone else.
You;d think if he was any good, he'd have his own show..
But...then, they'd actually have to pay him.
Anyone else on here want to Start an "axe Lajoie" club?
jj, in Toronto the Great.

July 5, 2009 @ 5:16 PM

jj

U can write me
at
jjdinardo@hotmail.com
No anonymous bullshit hiding here.
I say it, I mean it.
Joe ( jj)

July 5, 2009 @ 5:18 PM

George Deligiannis

Rumak lost some of it when he stopped being entertaining, he still was better than a lot of those 590 on airs, most of them put me to sleep. I'm surprised that station is still on the air.

It's a ratings game.

July 12, 2009 @ 2:26 AM

laslo_brown

I am sad to hear Norm got axed.I certainly will not be listening to Show Down Joe and all the other assorted crap the fan is now airing. Norm and Roger were honest and a perfect match. The Fan is on its way out now. Thanks a lot Nelson Moeman go with the youth movement they have short memories and no loyalty

July 12, 2009 @ 12:01 PM

MayorTommy

Well in a way I'm relieved, I used to listen to the FAN a ton, from Day 1 and even before when the beginnings of what became the FAN started at 1430(CJCL).

Norm was absolutely horrible when he started, I figured his parents were paying the station to keep him on the air. He really was hopeless. Then he found his Stormin' Norman shtick and I knew we were stuck with him for awhile, he had become a minor celebrity. It was obvious throughout the years that the station's management thought he was a dolt - every other on air personality was given shots at various jobs during daytime and evenings or filling in for others when they were on vacation or sick but never Norm, only once can I remember him on air during the day and he was brutal.

That he managed to stick around for so long is a miracle. Only Spider Jones rivaled Norm for ineptitude behind a microphone. Spider found another job, so will Norm I'm sure.

I had no idea what happened to Norm when I began tuning in again to the Fan late in the evening in the last month, I'd hear his friend Roger Lajoie and never a mention of Norm. I feared he was seriously ill or had died. I'm glad to see he was fired, he kinda grew on me over the years, like an old ugly suit in your closet that you just can't throw away or give to Goodwill because you are oddly attached to it.

July 16, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

Deringerwhereareyou

Norm schmorm.. who cares..

Farraway is condescending, filibustering mix of boring that fortunately annoys me enough that I quickly tune out before having to take stronger measures to restore sanity.

Gord and Don? What is this? whose the straight man here? jokes & jokes.. and do they think they are running a comedy network with all these stupid impersonations?

get down to the sports.. nuke Don who I feel maybe was ok with hogan esp for football, but is a light weight.. leave gord but get a good straight man.. i expect damian doesn't want the gig, but man is it a better show when he drives.. gord's riffs become almost interesting sidelines, plus he's an easy target.

i wish the fan was listenable. save for bobcat and the hockey central crew, it's pretty painful these days. real identity crisis if you ask me.

anyway.. norm schmorm.. bigger issues to deal with here than him.

July 17, 2009 @ 2:28 PM

Anonymous

gonzo

July 20, 2009 @ 11:25 AM

C M Wai

I can't believe the Fan 590 would let him go. Been listening to Norm since Day 1 with Jim Richards. I always like him and his willingness to accept and learn different sports unlike most of the guys on Fan 590. The Fan has no money and after 2 pm it is the junk repeat of the hockey central / freakin Mike Hogan. I don't like Mike Hogan shoulda axe him instead he's no good NBA hater. All the best to Norm.

July 23, 2009 @ 1:00 AM

Eugene

Norm R.was very good at leaving time on his show for listeners to call in.When I listen to AM 590 occasionally,beween 6-9am,this
doesn't happen. Stellick needs a better partner who doesn't monopolize air time.

August 13, 2009 @ 7:20 PM

Marco

The Fan590 has not had a good morning show since Pat Marsden, and prior to that, thier first morning host in Mike Inglis. I think Inglis was a T.O native who moved back to broadcast in the states, and do play by play, while Marsden has passed on. These were oldtimers who were knowledgeable Sports reporters, and told it like it was.

Norman was a schill who kissed the ass of the Maple Leafs, until someone in the organization must have told him to Fuck-off, then he realized how irrelevent he was, and wised up, but it was too late. His credibility was lost because he was known as pom-pom boy for the Leafs.

August 14, 2009 @ 4:01 PM

Freddy

590 has got to be one of the worst, please pull the plug. coming up the rear 640, 610, 680, 1010.

August 29, 2009 @ 2:18 PM

Kurt Walker

Norm, was a classy guy who always treated me and the other players I know with respect and honor. His recollection of what we did to the Broad Street Bullies back in the day will be long remembered to the Leaf fans. He always wanted to know what it was that had us beat the Islanders in 7 games in ot??? And how we manhandled the Flyers in the mid 70's. I have the answer
Kurt Walker Toronto Maple Leafs Alumni # 26

September 15, 2009 @ 12:46 PM

Joey Buttahfukyoo

Norm was the only good thing the Fan had. The fan590 is such garbage now-no one listens. People are tired of the pathetic jays, the boring baseball talk shows (whats to talk about?), the pathetic argos and raptors. The soccer shows are a nightmare as are the race car driving tennis and every other useless boring shit that no one listens to. The station am 640 has 3 Maple leaf related shows a day and thats what generates the listeners and sells the advertising. Like it or not people in T.O. talk about the leafs and the weather. When the fan gave up all the leafs material (including Rumack) they lost all listenership. Good riddance to the fan 590!

October 4, 2009 @ 11:01 AM

Damien "Sucks" Cox

Me and some buddies would call up Norm when we were in high school and the Fan was on 1430, and it would basically get to the point of us challenging Norm to a fight. LOL.

Norm wasnt as interesting as he was (maybe because Clark retired), but he would still have some alright interviews.

But yeah, I have no idea of the ratings, but the fan cant be doing that well.

Ive tried listening to the morning show, but it is 90% commercials....honestly, its ridiculous how many commercials there are. And when there arent commercials, Gord and Don are about as funny as Carrot Top.

Hogan is alright, Hockeycentral is alright, Bobcat and Wilner are both egotistical pricks that I wouldnt mind meeting in an alley. And then everyone else is unlistenable.

I honestly think the Fan 590 days are numbered

October 29, 2009 @ 12:58 AM

Jeff

The entire fan 590 is crap, same shit over and over again you just need to listen for an hour a day and you have the days programming.

November 30, 2009 @ 10:09 AM

Sweetman

It's been just over a year now and it seems as if Rumack hasn't surfaced. It was really too bad, what with his change of allegiances from the Leafs to whoever else would talk to him. It would get a bit sickening with the way he would suckhole Devallano, the ex Jay Manager and Rick Dudley... He used to be like that with Tucker and Corson but it all of a sudden fell by the wayside... he had no real conviction... it was all schtickism. AND he was never wrong!!!
Interesting changes to the station recently and not much of a story to go with it.

July 4, 2010 @ 1:00 PM

I hear Rumack was just hired at Sirius.

July 4, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

Grimsby Gabe

Is Norm on serius? Can someone advise?
He should be brought back to the fan in a new format.
His knowledge of sport was massive and Roger is not the same without him. Mature sports listeners really enjoyed him and I have been very much against the fan since their shake-up which obviously caters to the teenie bopper generation.
We miss you Norm!

November 25, 2010 @ 10:17 AM

Vic

Ol Normie was dirty, his little Treasures night club trips were his downfall, mixed with the wrong crowd....Fan got wind of it and tied a can to his tired old act. Good riddence!

November 30, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

vhige

REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF RADIO?

STORMING NORMAN RUMACK AND ROGER LAJOIE

PUT GORDON SINCLAIR AND WALLY CROUTER TO BED.

WHEN MEN WERE MEN, SPORTS WERE SPORTS

AND VERGENS WERE NERVOUS.

I AM CONSTANTLY SURPRISED BY THE STATURE

AND RECEPTIVITY OF THIS ANCHOR.

FAN 590.

HEROES COMES BACK
LEGENDS NEVER LEAVE

HEROES ARE REMEMBERED
LEGENDS NEVER DIE

September 22, 2016 @ 2:14 PM

Chamuzi

I'm impressed this discussion is still going. I just emailed Joey to tell him how much
I agree that Lajoie is horrible and should have been gone years ago. I called Norm at his house once when in high school just to heckle him. We woke up and everything and was ready to go. We felt bad for waking him up since we thought he would never answer, it was an interesting night.
He was a good man all in all, whether he deserved to be fired, I'm not really sure, probably.
The Fan doesn't have that much of a spark aside Blair.

November 17, 2016 @ 9:50 AM

Chamuzi

The Fan doesn't have that much of a spark aside Blair.

November 17, 2016 @ 9:50 AM