OJ Boy: To Ban or Not To Ban?

questionmarkI love reading the comments on this site. I wish more of you would comment more often. Don't be shy, create an alias and stick with it and you'll remain anonymous. Do you really think Argie is an Argie and Elvis is an Elvis?

Jason, a.k.a. OJ Boy, is a Jason, however. Since he added getyouroj.com to his display name, I just queried the database and found he's left 838 comments. Usually he's laughing at me for going to Edgefest or telling us all we're scum for using kleenex or listening to songs with mass appeal on corporate radio. Other times he's chastising the poor for shopping at Walmart, snickering at the masses for enjoying Twitter or sharing his distaste for hockey, the Hip, Pearl Jam or, basically, any song or band you dig.

I've never met OJ Boy. He was noticeably absent from the Humble and Fred 20th Anniversary Podcast, and he's clearly a huge fan of their old morning show. I'm wondering if it's time for an OJ Boy ban, because I'm getting tired of the constant stench of humourless misery and holier-than-thou judgement.

Don't get me wrong, I like comments that disagree with me or offer an alternative viewpoint. I would never consider banning Argie or Irvine or Sammi, a few commenters who seem to see things differently than I do. But haven't we all had enough of buzz-kill OJ Boy?

What do you guys think?

brad

don't ban the turd, let him expose himself as what he is

June 20, 2009 @ 10:28 AM

Stafford

Poke out his eyes and skull fuck 'im Mike!

Oh...you want to just ban him and not kill him?

Back in the CRS BBS and CompuServe days we'd actually hunt down and kill the trolls.

Hey, you waste your time reading shit on a 1200 baud dial-up and tell me you wouldn't have done the same!

June 20, 2009 @ 12:16 PM

elvis

Mike, you're right. OJ is a douche bag but he comes across as more of a edgy, spiteful and harsher douche bag than an Argie or Sammi. His comments almost make me want to like Pearl Jam.

I'm going to sit on the fence here - I'm not necessarily going to vote YES for a ban but I'm not going to be upset if the douche bag isn't allowed to comment on your site anymore.

Besides, I don't think he likes Elvis...then again...neither do you. Can you be banned from your own site?

June 20, 2009 @ 12:23 PM

Mike from Lowville

"Don't be shy, create an alias and stick with it and you'll remain anonymous. Do you really think Argie is an Argie and Elvis is an Elvis?"

Umm, you know who Mike from Lowville is though, as you mentioned on hh's site.

I don't really care but the remaining anonymous is not always true.

As for banning, that's your prerogative, it's your blog.

June 20, 2009 @ 12:25 PM

shane alexander

he comes to my blog all the time and insults me because he seems to think he knows so much about me and my whole york region way of life...i just erase the comments but he still continues to visit - which is cool. i can always use the hits, but you know...as i was telling another blogger yesterday about negative posts, these people who come to just leave bad words on your site is like them picking up a knife and cutting themselves knowing it's going to hurt but do it anyway.
but yes. it's your blog. do what you like.

June 20, 2009 @ 1:42 PM

James Edgar

Don't ban . He's an ass as much as any of the other holier than thou asses but as negative as he is he's entertaining as well. You’re right you need people to give opposing opinions even if you do want to go Stafford on there asses once in a while for being gutless internet commandoes trolling around. A lot of people have been banned over the years on the GTA’s most popular motorcycle forum and the site is significantly diminished as a result. My 2 cents anyway.

June 20, 2009 @ 2:06 PM

Lily Allen

Please let him stay so the authorities can keep an eye on him. He is fixated on me and is beginning to creep me out.

June 20, 2009 @ 2:10 PM

Irvine

So Mike, you want to ban a guy because you disagree with his spiteful & angry opinions that don't match your own

Um, isn't that the same thing that the dude is Iraq is doing to the dissidents? Banning their opinions ?

Stafford: LOL, you hunt down and kill someone? LOL, maybe get to Goodlife Fitness for a few months first man. Or buy an illegal hand gun.

*cackles*.

June 20, 2009 @ 2:15 PM

Stafford

C'mon Mark, 30 days at Goodlife or 21 in rehab, max, and I'm back to hunting humans again!

You have a big nose. I can get thin again.

*LIVE FROM THE SANDBOX THAT IS THE INTERNET*

June 20, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

jason | Getyouroj.com

Such a terrible person I am, especially on the Kleenex and Wal-Mart matters... how dare I have responsible educated opinions!!!

I don't think I qualify as a "troll" because I sign my name to write I write... and to Stafford and anyone else that wants a charity boxing match with me, let's hook it up... but I should warn you that my winnings will be going to Greenpeace and habitat for Humanity... and I know that will drive you fascist jerks mad!!!

By the way, Shane whatshisface will be unable to prove that I have visited his site more than a few times in my life, if you can prove I have, go ahead. Do it up, show the proof, Mr. "I could use the hits". You could use a lot more than just blog hits. How about a job?

No need to ban me though Mike as I'm through with your ass kissing soccer dad-eque Edge-inhaling paint-by-numbers lifestyle fodder anyway.

On a final note, what makes you think I would know whether or not Fred was updating his blog? I have better things to do than worry about either of you let alone write a whole post about you.

Signing off...

June 20, 2009 @ 3:47 PM

Blaze

I work at Walmart and I can personally tell you its a shithole

I've never seen OJ write about you on his site, so shows who the real loser is I guess

Anyways hope you enjoy the free publicity OJ

June 20, 2009 @ 4:13 PM

Irvine

Seems the folks on Ontario love to draw lines in the sand and always like a good "right wing versus left wing" fight.

Why is it that this forum and Fred P's blog and the need to associate anything that's "anti big business" as left wing ?

I don't support Greenpeace, but I have use wind generated electricity. My condo is not heated with gas or oil but geo thermal..the heat of the earth. Does that make me a raging "lefty"?

I don't support Walmart either. It's not because they buy Chinese goods but because I support business from my OWN province first. I ain't drinking Molson, I'm drinking Big Rock. I ain't using RBC, I'm using the Alberta Treasury Branch. I ain't shopping at Safeway, I'm going to CO OP. Dude, I support my own people because in the end maybe they'll support me when I need IT work. Does that make me a lefty? Or is that just your perverse view of "capitalism". Walmart isn't capitalistic, it's quasi mercantilism. Big difference.

And as for the troll comment, Jason's right. Both him and Stafford at least use their own for their opinions whether you buy into it or not. That's a mite bit better than a bunch of faceless, anonymous dickheads that can't sign their name to a post.

You purport to believe in free speech Mike. The EFF, the freedom on the Internet, etc. Yet, the minute someone comes in and has opinions that regularly challenge yours you say "Should I ban him". That doesn't sound like free speech to me, it sounds like some type of digital dictatorship.

June 20, 2009 @ 4:45 PM

Andrew

Let him comment.

While his comments are usually far left, I don't mind hearing the opinions. Just as much as Argie is far right. I still read his opinions and evaluate them on my own.

I can't say I always disagree with OJ Boy or Argie. But for the most part I find myself disagreeing.

They both can be a little lacking in their filter. But to give them credit they tell the truth to what they think.

I think OJ Boy is an elitist jerk who claims to value free speech but is the first to call on bans or call radio stations to condemn hosts with different opinions.

Pardon my french, but Fuck Him. But leave his posts up and expose him for the idiot that he is.

June 20, 2009 @ 4:53 PM

Buffaloboymike

Mike, the point of having a blog I believe, after having done it for almost two years now is to get EVERYONES opinion. True, OJBOY is a nut job and he seems to not like anything or anyone, though he likes your posts enough to comment on them. Some of the best in media are successful because those who disagree with them tune in. Look at Rush Limbaugh or Hannity. I bet half their audience is composed of people who don't like them...which may be a bad example because come to think of it, I have never heard a listener of Rush's who disagreed because they screen out the ones that disagree with him...which would lead you to banning OJ. I guess what I am getting at is, freedom of speech and expression. OJ should be okay with expressing himself, respect the fact that he tunes into the site, don't be like Rush and Hannity.

June 20, 2009 @ 5:12 PM

elvis

Best post ever by Lily Allen. I'm still laughing at that one.

June 20, 2009 @ 6:05 PM

Blaze

I think you should grow up and expand your mind to listen to all opinions both good and bad, whether you like them or not, because throughout your life your gonna have to hear a lot of them

and Buffaloboymike sure you can say that OJ must care a lot about Torontomike for commenting on here, but at the same time it looks to me like Torontomike cares just as much if not WAY more for the simple fact that he actually made a post specifically for OJ

I'm sure OJ is loving every minute of it too, great way for free publicity, and if anyones next comment is "it may be free publicity but its not publicity to put him over" then remember this famous quote "any publicity is good publicity"

June 20, 2009 @ 6:10 PM

Jill

Wowza!!! What was the catalyst for this post? 838 comments have been left by Jason and you are only now considering to ban him. I think by now many of your regular readers have their own opinions of Jason and his true character.
Is he opinionated......Yes!!
Is he antagonistic.....Yes!!
Is he conflict seeking.....Yes!!
Is he consistant......Yes!!!
One thing Jason is not.... is a troll. He always identifies himself and stands behind his comments expressed and I respect him for that.
I choose how I react to Jasons comments and for the most part they get filed away in the "G" (Garbage) part of my brain.
You need to realize that Jason LOVES your blog and you are the fuel that engages him to put energy into his keyboard to share his confrontational opinions and provoking thoughts. He is the Piss and you are the vinegar.

June 20, 2009 @ 6:29 PM

shane alexander

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "zack morris on jimmy fallon":

wow you are also gay. pussy.

moderate that.

(i did. why am i gay because i posted a funny bit from a late night talk show?)
---

Jason has left a new comment on your post "song of the week: goodbye - hootie and the blowfis...":

oh this proves your superior musical taste and that you're just too cool for me. enjoying the attention, loser?

Publish this comment.

Reject this comment.

Moderate comments for this blog.

(i love attention. why am i a loser? i never said i was cooler than you)
-----

Jason has left a new comment on your post "brit topless":

GET A FUCKING GIRLFRIEND YOU PATHETIC LOSER

YOU WERE BETTER OFF STEALING FROM MY BLOG THAT THIS

AND DON'T LET ME FIND YOU IN THE MARKET, ROFL

Publish this comment.

Reject this comment.

Moderate comments for this blog.

(which market? i do have a girlfriend? why are you yelling? )
------

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "value....":

richmond fucking hill, well that explains a lot right there. you're hopeless

Publish this comment.

Reject this comment.

Moderate comments for this blog.

(how does me "living in richmond hill" - which i don't - explain a lot?)
------

Jason has left a new comment on your post "vintage: cklw news":

hey smart guy! so you're still on the internet eh?
sober yet?

just in case you missed it:

Shane, I assume you include yourself in that "us" but I don't remember acknowleging your existence until now.

Futhermore, I didn't leave the Big Yellow Board, I was banned for defending Humble and Fred. True story, and I couldn't care less. If I wanted to talk to dinosaurs, I'd go to the ROM.

Also Shane, I never called you names to further my argument... but you seem to have to... you're so Bush League.

I never commented on YOUR taste in music Shane, because I don't know the first thing about you. Nor do I want to.

Why do you seemingly think you know so much about me??

Are you stalking me?

You address me saying that I am judging people, but yet you spew this garbage about what you think you know about me.

Get a life.

Publish this comment.

Reject this comment.

Moderate comments for this blog.

(we've already touched this one)
-----

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "kiss'd off..":

nice picture of avril, someone needs a girlfriend and a life pretty badly... don't go drinking yourself to death again

Publish this comment.

Reject this comment.

Moderate comments for this blog.

(that's class. making fun of someone's drinking problem. real class.)
-----

thank goodness gmail keeps your trashed e-mails for a while.

June 20, 2009 @ 7:02 PM

Mike from Lowville

Blah, blah, blah, blah.........like I said, it's your blog Mike. Who gives a fuck about the rest of us......looks like you just lost a consistent poster....if it was my blog, I would mourn the loss.

June 20, 2009 @ 7:16 PM

Toronto Mike

I've been away from the computer for 12 hours. Let me clarify a few things.

Mike from Lowville: I make the email field optional. If you enter an email address, it might reveal to me who you are but it doesn't get posted on the site. If you want to stay super anonymous, don't enter an email address.

Irvine: In Iran, the government wants to ban media - I would just be banning someone from my channel. He has his own channel!

Also... I'd never ever ban someone for being a "raging lefty". Haven't you read Fred's entries chastising me for voting NDP? This is hardly a conservative forum, and I rarely write about politics anyway.

Jill: I just got tired of it. It's so repetitive, it's just not fun anymore. When I write tomorrow about how much I loved Billy Talent tonight, he'd predictably chime in and tell me how he feels sorry for me that I think that's good music and how I don't deserve to share his elitist oxygen as a result. I'm just sick of it.

To All: I never called OJ Boy a troll, not once. I also acknowledge he never crossed the line, so by my own rules I'd never actually ban him. It sounds like he's banning himself, so the point is now moot.

This isn't about "the hits" for me, I was writing with the same frequency about the same things when the total number of daily visitors was under 10. If my brothers were the only two reading, it'd be pretty much the same content. I'm happy to blog on without OJ Boy's comments, and I'm not mourning the loss. I was hoping for the loss.

Farewell, OJ Boy. You're not banned, you're welcome to comment here, but I doubt you will. I'm not going to miss you.

June 21, 2009 @ 12:07 AM

Argie

I never like to see anyone banned from a site or banned anywhere for that matter. I disagree with Mike about 90% of the time but I would never insult him personally or professionally. That is where OJ boy sometimes crosses the line. Despite that, Mike shouldn't ban him - that's so 1970's USSR.

June 22, 2009 @ 11:05 AM

Ryan

Don't like him! But $100 says he gets a kick out of this. (Playing right into his hands?)

Angry people like angry attention. And yes, Mike is my brother and yes, he is too left wing for me.

I see ignorance in a lot of the feedback posts from the readers, but i rarely see it on his blogs!

If you knew my bro like I do, the last thing you would associate him with is USSR 1970s... although he did like the episodes of Head of the Class when they went to USSR for the quiz tourneys. He liked those an awful lot...

Hmmmm......