My Birthday Gift From the MTO

giftPart of the reason birthdays lose their lustre as we age is the ding we get from the MTO. The MTO, for those of you who don't live in Ontario, is the Ministry of Transportation for Ontario. I just came back from an MTO office $343 poorer.

You see, I have a birthday this week, and that meant I needed to renew the plates for the two cars I own and renew my driver's license. That last detail explains the need to actually visit the MTO office. I typically renew my plates online, but when the driver's license has expired, they force you to physically get to an office so they can snap an updated picture.

Normally it's $74 to renew a license plate for one year, but I got hit with some Toronto tax that pushed it to $134 a plate. Oh yeah, and one car needed an emissions test that's almost impossible to fail, so it's really costing me about $383 to have a birthday this year.

$383 so I can keep two cars on the road. Thanks, MTO!

</rant>

James Edgar

We just went throught that too.

The cars plate is in my wifes name. So Drive Clean,New License,Plate reneal and plate renewal for her bike. $300ish.

Plus as it was her birthday a lavish gift was required. :(

June 22, 2009 @ 2:10 PM

Argie

Mike: No surprise - someone has to pay for all of those union jobs at city hall. Despite that, look for Miller to be re-elected in 2010.

June 22, 2009 @ 2:11 PM

Horonymous

The extra $60 went to pay for the $10 million dollar boondoggle of new electronic parking meters that are easily defrauded. Yay Miller!

That blows Mike.

June 22, 2009 @ 3:24 PM

James Edgar

Argie we 100% in agreement. Weird I know but people do win the lottery ( so we are told anyway) so even insane odds do come true sometimes.

June 22, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

Annemarie

My HONDA failed the emissions test once, so it's not that impossible. It needed a new O2 sensor which was $300 ON TOP OF the SECOND emissions test AND fee for a new sticker/license renewal! Argh...

June 22, 2009 @ 3:50 PM

twins from bolton

Can sympathize. Although if you live north of HWY 89 - No emissions test ever required & license fees are $ 50.00 or less per year.
Mother in law lives in Sudbury - never had to have emissions test & license fee last year $20-$30 depending on # of cyls.

June 22, 2009 @ 6:37 PM

Andrew

I am backing Argie on this one too. The extra hit from Toronto taxes is nuts.

June 22, 2009 @ 6:38 PM

elvis

Mayor Miller is a douche bag and I will tell him that to his face if I see him at a TFC game.

June 22, 2009 @ 6:46 PM

Buffaloboymike

Happy Birthday Mike
We are getting dropped from our health insurance because my wifes job only covers her for 10 months out of the year....oh yeah and shes pregnant.....Pricing healthinsurance the last few days...cheapest I could find was $480 PER month. ouch

June 23, 2009 @ 5:00 PM