iPod vs. Walkman: Could You Go Back?

walkmanThe BBC had a 13-year old swap his iPod for a Sony Walkman. It's a pretty fun read as the kid compares the two portable music devices.

I loved my Walkman. I took it everywhere and spent a great deal of time making perfect mix tapes. Here I am gushing about my good ol' Walkman days back in 2004 and here I am doing it again in 2005.

Once you adapt to the iPod, there really is no going back. The shuffle, the sound quality, the storage capacity, the size... it's simply not a fair comparison. But back in the day, when we didn't know any better, Walkmans rocked.

A Peek At My Cassettes

Dizzy

I don't care for iPods; I like my RCA Lyra.

The idea of being forced to use iTunes to put songs onto the devices instead of straight plug and play functionality really irks me.

June 30, 2009 @ 2:57 PM

James Edgar

Me to I like my Sansa. I had a shuffle but it was a pita and hard to use on the bike.

June 30, 2009 @ 3:23 PM

Wayner

almost looks like my tape collection...do you need a mac computer for an iPod or IPhone?

June 30, 2009 @ 3:31 PM

Toronto Mike

No, I run itunes with Windows.

I know my mom's iPod is synced with non-Apple software on Linux... so I'm sure there are non-iTunes alternatives.

June 30, 2009 @ 3:34 PM

Horonymous

Never owned a Walkman or any portable cassette device other than the cassette deck in my car.

I do enjoy the mp3 players. I had a Rio years ago then a Creative Muvo, 1st gen iPod shuffle handed down from my daughter, iPod Nano 2nd gen and now the owner of a 3G iPhone.

June 30, 2009 @ 3:42 PM

Mississauga Mike

While I respect the Walkman's role in our portable music evolution, I couldn't go back from my MP3 player.

June 30, 2009 @ 3:54 PM

Sadie

My dad made a hobby out of making me killer mix tapes when I was really young, which led to a career in radio dj-ing, so I had some pretty sweet mixtapes in my Sony Walkman, that's for sure! I still have all my cassette tapes on a book shelf. But the CD walkman just wasn't the same - so bulky and my CDs always skipped!

I miss those days of early technology. What will happen in the next fifteen years? Scary thought, huh?

June 30, 2009 @ 5:49 PM

brian

i got a zune for $100 about a year ago and i still think it's the best $100 i've spent in...maybe ever. i just picked up a 2 gb sansa for my son's 8th b-day in two weeks. he kept saying he wanted an ipod. i kept telling him "you mean an mp3 player". so hopefully he will like it.
love the diceman cassettes.

June 30, 2009 @ 9:56 PM